Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Just what the Dr. needed.......

Thanks Ryan!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
78-86 Bronco heated window wiring. (without under hood fuse box)

87-96 Bronco heated window wiring. (with under hood fuse box)

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same from 1980-1996, I can't find any 78-79 diagrams to conferm, but I'm pretty sure they are the same as well.

The defroster changed a little when the underhood fuse box was used in the 90's

·
Banned
11,193 Posts
The change to the circuit actually occurred in '87 when the defrost switch moved from below the dash to within the dash. The early one was a black box with a slide lever, a green indicator, and an electrically separate blue backlight; the '87-91 style was a black rocker with an yellow indicator and a green backlight; the '92-96 switch had a chrome bar button with an orange indicator light and blue backlit letters. But the 2 later styles are electrically interchangeable.

Ryan
Just FYI: I stole your diagrams and added them to this album. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Thanks for the great writeup!

I searched for it because I'm trying to locate the defroster connection in my tailgate. I'm rewiring the mess leading to the tailgate, and all I have is 2 cut wires that lead to the defroster connection. They're wrapped in a cloth sleeve. I can't find where they connect to. :banghead

Thanks!

·
Banned
11,193 Posts
John
Ryan's photo shows an '80-?89 tailgate harness. Yours will have a different connector inside the L frame rail just forward of the rear bumper with the window & defrost wires in 1 connector. Inside the t/g, though, it'll be the same as older harnesses, but his photo doesn't show that end of the harness. It's just 2 flat terminals on a long harness take-out that reaches from one side of the glass to the other. They're the same size & type as the "Tailgate Latch Switch" terminals in his photo, but they're in separate connectors, instead of the double-connector shown for the switch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Steve83 said:
John
Ryan's photo shows an '80-?89 tailgate harness. Yours will have a different connector inside the L frame rail just forward of the rear bumper with the window & defrost wires in 1 connector. Inside the t/g, though, it'll be the same as older harnesses, but his photo doesn't show that end of the harness. It's just 2 flat terminals on a long harness take-out that reaches from one side of the glass to the other. They're the same size & type as the "Tailgate Latch Switch" terminals in his photo, but they're in separate connectors, instead of the double-connector shown for the switch.
I thought you'd be the guy to answer my question, thanks Steve! I do need to read your reply a few times to try and picture what you're describing.

Now that I've wound the window halfway down, I see the tabs for the defrostrer. One's 5 inches from the glass' driver's side, the other's 22 inches. It seems I'm missing a chunk of the wiring harness.

Got a spare you can sell???

Thanks again... back to the tailgate.

·
Banned
11,193 Posts
JohnDeStef said:
Got a spare you can sell???
Nope. I don't think I have any t/g parts left. Maybe the long weatherbelts stashed somewhere, but I haven't run across them in recent memory. Oh, I do have some of the long clips to hold the trim panel on, but I can't think of anything else.

******EDIT*****
I have plenty of t/g parts now.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,555 Posts
Just realized I ought to stop & say thanks. I found this diagram while searching the www for tailgate info, & also found FSB at the same time. Thanks for the info, my window has been happily working ever since :thumbup .

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks for the great tailgate info!

I have been looking at a '90 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition at an auction where I work night security. Got the tailgate glass down then couldn't get it back up after opening and closing the tailgate! :cry

Thought I was doomed until I found this thread. Sure enough, connected motor straight to the battery and got the tailgate glass up!

Think I'll place a bid on that Bronco!;)

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
I thought this thread needed some tags so it comes up for newbies. Thought of more but it will only let me add 2.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts