Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with tailgate wiring. I saw a post on here from Fireguy50 about how to rewire the dash swith using relays, but could not find a wiring diagram. The window rolls up and down using the key switch, but nothing with the dash switch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the fuse good if I remember correctly the dash switch has a seperate fuse or c.b. Because of were it is keyed hot were the key switch is full time hot it been about 8 years ago when I had the same problem on the '86 I had

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
You may have to replace the dash switch, try using a multimeter and see if there's a voltage or resistance issue and I would go to FSB member Steve83 tailgate tech album and possible diagram, he's created tons of info or you might also try www.broncolinks.com for additional help.

Drop the tailgate and look in the left rear quarter panel around the tail light area and you'll see the harness coming out there and going into the TG box to the motor. The wiring gets bent and kinked over time from opening and closing the TG causing damage, there's also a safety switch inside that prevents the window from going up or down so while the TG is down check the "door striker bolts" with their anti-rattle bushings on the bolts whether they have cracked and gone away or the bolts just need adjustment, if the TG doesn't close flush with the body line the window doesn't work.

#T-50 Torx socket gets it done, the bolts "rotate" in place so inward would be a good start...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,208 Posts
It points to either a bad dash switch like JKoss said, or the circuit breaker/fuse for the dash switch like cbuck said. Everything else in the circuit is also used at some point for the tailgate key switch, so if anything else was bad, it wouldn't allow the tailgate switch to work in both directions either.

Fireguy has another diagram that shows the original wiring here: TailGate Wiring Info, see post 2. Great color diagram, it makes it much easier to understand what's going on. And there's more info & links in post 3 of this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts