Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the tailgate on my 88 is stuck up, the window is gone it was shattered, and the regulator is unbolted but I still have to wrestle it out. I know that the TG wont go down with the window up but with the window and the regulator I thought it should go down. If anyone has a diagram on the interior workings of the tailgate latch that would be a major help as i think the problem lies in their.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
456 Posts
There is a safety on the latch that the glass catches when it goes down, with no glass it’s not hitting this safety release, you’ll need to take the inner access panel off and pull that down by hand to open the gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a safety on the latch that the glass catches when it goes down, with no glass it’s not hitting this safety release, you’ll need to take the inner access panel off and pull that down by hand to open the gate

is that the loose rod located directly beneath the latch?

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Yes. It has a 90° bend on the end. The glass catches that and forces it downward, which releases the latches.

I removed it on mine so the glass didn't have to be down to open the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,091 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. It has a 90° bend on the end. The glass catches that and forces it downward, which releases the latches.

I removed it on mine so the glass didn't have to be down to open the tailgate.
Ok so i depressed all the way several times and still nothing, i ended up removing the lever as well but still cant get the TG to open.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
456 Posts
You have to hold it down while you open the tailgate. Do them at the same time, normally the glass would hold that lever down.

Or just grab the rods (circled in red) that go from side to side and pull them inward, that will release the latches. It may take a good tug on each one to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts