Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've found a problem with my 95 Bronco XLT.

The taillights do not light up when you press the brakes, except for from time to time the driver side does but that is only about 15% of the time. The signal lights don't work at all not front, not rear, not even on the dash. The 4 ways also don't work however one time they did. when you turn the 4 ways on it does make a clicking sound but it is erratic, when the signal lights are supposed to be on no indication that they are on, no clicking, no dash lights.

The Park lights work, all of them. The Headlights work.

I've checked the fuses, swapped out the flasher nothing has worked. Can somebody please help me out.

Rushcanuck

·
Registered
710 Posts
sounds like a grounding issue... bummer is I have no idea of where to tell you it is at. your only option will be to trace the underdash wiring for those systems (a book will help) and find where the under dash ground is at, make sure it is good.

Next (or first) pull out both taillights and run a temporary ground to them, just go ahead and run it all the way from the ground on the battery, that way there will be no question of "is it enough of a ground". Make sure you ground them both, they can be tied into the same wire, that will be fine. Now if it works you'll know it's the ground in the back. sometimes the grounds get rusty and will work a little bit but not alot... i worked on a truck last month that had tail lights or brake/turn lights but not both. I removed the grounds and cleaned them and voila... everything worked. you can either repair the old ground, or run a new one anywhere you want as long as it gets a good connection to the body or frame.

good luck, I hope it's a ground in the rear, that'll be easier to find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Thought I might ask this as well. My Ignition Switch is fubar, it works but its very sloppy would this contribute to my issues in any way?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Mine was doing that, When I pulled the steering wheel off I saw that the green wire that went to the turn signal switch had frayed and broke off shutting down all the tail lights exept for the running lights. A new steering column wiring harness {turn signal switch} fixed all-

·
Registered
80 Posts
sounds like a ground . i had a 85 bronco do some of the samethings. the previous owner had installed a towing package and pinched a wire . freed the wire up andall was well.
good luck

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Thanks, Thought I might ask this as well. My Ignition Switch is fubar, it works but its very sloppy would this contribute to my issues in any way?
What's an ignition switch? The wing portion of these bronco ignitions have a short life, they seam to fail a lot. Probably doesn't have anything to do with this. We need more info on the symptoms of your ignition besides fubar.:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
26,319 Posts
Well I've found a problem with my 95 Bronco XLT.

The taillights do not light up when you press the brakes, except for from time to time the driver side does but that is only about 15% of the time. The signal lights don't work at all not front, not rear, not even on the dash. The 4 ways also don't work however one time they did. when you turn the 4 ways on it does make a clicking sound but it is erratic, when the signal lights are supposed to be on no indication that they are on, no clicking, no dash lights.

The Park lights work, all of them. The Headlights work.

I've checked the fuses, swapped out the flasher nothing has worked. Can somebody please help me out.
=
Multifunction Switch (MFS) Failure Causes; "...Mechanical components wear out or electrical connections are faulty; If the switch assembly is not operating properly, turn signals, hazard warning lamps, windshield wipers/washers and the headlamp beam selection may not operate properly. Related Components to Check; The switch itself, the electrical connections to the switch and the connections to each of the affected components (items such as turn signals, wipers, etc.)..." Source: by motorcraft.com

Multifunction Switch (MFS) Testing 92-96; See Steve's Steering Column Diagram for removal/installation; "...the MFS testing is done with connectors disconnected; it's strictly an internal test of the MFS;
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net
http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/media/225114

Note that da Brake Light & Turn, High & Low Headlight Dimmer, Flash-to-Pass & Hazard CKTs are a Feed-Through Circuit in Multifunction Switch (MFS)

·
Registered
710 Posts
:stupid

While I may not quite yet retract my statement, I will defer to this guy!!! He seems to be on the ball with stuff like that, and usually has something to back up what he says...

good job miesk5

·
Registered
279 Posts
Multifunction Switch (MFS) Failure Causes

Multifunction Switch (MFS) Testing 92-96
That right there is the most common problem(s),
best bet is to buy a new one as a used one will probably be just as bad.

Not too sure if there is a Lordco near you as they should have it,
otherwise you have to go to the local Ford dealer.

Lots of info on this board to help you through the replacement of the part.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Ive removed my Multi Function Switch, and I've tested all the areas where I had problems and found that it is the multi function switch causing them (or at least part of the problem). So before I go and fork out the cash for a new one I opened it up to see if I could fix it and found the insides of it were very dirty, green on the contacts, so Im cleaning it out.

After I clean it should I use di-electric grease or should it be something else.

Rushcanuck

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok I got it all together and it works, the indicators are working and all the lights but the RR, its park lights work but the signal and brakes lighting doesn't:) :) :). thanks a lot for all the help you all have given I would've had a hell of a time figuring this out myself.

Um so I still gotta get the RR taillight working any ideas, possibly a ground. And I still wouldn't mind knowing if I should put Di-Electric Grease in the MFS

·
Super Moderator
26,319 Posts
yw

Pull the RR assy off and ck the wiring; my 96's wiring there was tight against the 1/4 panel sharp edge and almost cut in half.

Yep, Use the dielectric grease.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts