Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 5.0L takes forever to warm up in this 20 degree weather. I start my truck and let it idle for a good 5-7 minutes and it's still pouring exhaust out the pipe like a smokestack and the needle is just barely starting to creep to warm. On the flipside, my gf's Blazer warms up in 2-3 minutes. I just replaced the WP, thermo and new coolant about a month ago so there should be no issues. I originally thought the thermo was stuck open but it wasn't and I replaced it while it was out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's a V8 with lots of coolant. It's going to take some time for it to warm up if there isint much load on the motor. Do you have a mechanical or electric fan? If mechanical, try blocking off half of the radiator like the diesels do.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
dude, 351 cubes, lots of cold iron, and cold coolant. vs. blazer with little 4.3l v6. like Masterphil said, it's a lot to heat up with no load on the engine.

get in, fire it up, let it idle for a minute, and drive it. it'll be completely warmed up in no time.

my 300 six is up to operating temp in about 1 1/2 miles, even in 15-20 degree weather. just drive it, it's the best way to warm it up.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Check the lines running to your heater core. One should be hot and the other should be warm.

If that is fine, just deal with it and get automatic start, when i get up i roll out of bed, grab my keys, hit the button, the truck starts and is warm by the time i hit the first stop sign i come to, which is about 100 feet from my house.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Masterphil said:
It's a V8 with lots of coolant. It's going to take some time for it to warm up if there isint much load on the motor. Do you have a mechanical or electric fan? If mechanical, try blocking off half of the radiator like the diesels do.
:stupid

it usually takes a few miles for mine to warm up to operating temp as well. the XJ is warm in half the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a engine block heater installed in mine when I had my 302 rebuilt. I love it for winter driving. Just plug it in the night before, and boom have hot hair in half the time without the heater.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not handy, I am planning on tinkering with my truck this weekend, so I will try to get underneath it and get a pic for you. Don't have much time during the week to do much with the truck.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
It shouldn't take 5-7 minutes to warm up. You may want to get a system flush. Or you may want to put a piece of card board in front of your rad to restrict the amount of air passing through. I used to do that with my 67 cougar.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
When I work at 5am I get up and go start my truck at 4:30, and hop in it at 4:47-4:50 and its usually almost to operating temperature.

Get an electrical fan if you want it to warm up faster. Wired to a temp sensor it will keep from blowing cold air on the engine. That's about all you can do without a block heater or a garage.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
you could install a 205 tstat

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But isn't the coolant in the block closed off from the radiator until operating temp by the thermostat? Jarsh...is your heater in place of one of the freeze plugs?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
im in the same baot or refrigerator has he is in. take about 30 min befor i hit 195-205.

new hoses
new core
new stat 195
new rad
new pump
and the engine is new

wtfg

i like my old one, always overheated, atleast i had heat then:toothless

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat is possibly stuck open. Might want to replace it...only a $5 part

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
psygn0sis said:
my engine NEVER gets to 185 deg. to open the t-stat !!
She always runs about 100 deg. give or take.

Four Core Rad !
i'd bet 5 bucks that's why it never get's much past 100 deg.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
stepchild88 said:
i'd bet 5 bucks that's why it never get's much past 100 deg.

I got a 4 core radiator and mine will get to whatever t stat i put in.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put a grill cover that snaps on the grill on mine. That helped mine warm up quicker. It has flaps that you can open up to let more air through.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
5-7 minutes is NOT that long to warm up, especially at IDLE, now if you had a carbed truck with the fast idle cam at about 2500 Revs, you will easily warm up that quick. I am impressed by you wanting to let your truck warm up, that is very good. I suggest you find something to do while your truck warms up for about 10 minutes. Hell people round here leave there cars running while they are in Walmart. I let mine run while I get me shirt/coat (I go out in T shirt to start) and my lunch bagged up OR eat a pop tart.

When I just go out and want to drive right away:
Mine takes about 2 minutes of 2000 RPMs to even get to 120 then about 2 1/2 miles to get to 200 then pop the therm. This is with no Fan on at all (electric on a switch) a 3 row radiator and a brand new 0.00 302 with an RPM AIR GAP intake.

When I plug in the block heater it will be at 120 in like 10 seconds of idle and 180 in like a mile all the way down to 0*, any colder and it will probably be the same as above but with the block heater.

If your truck took 45-an hour to warm up then your therm would be stuck open. You would also be blowing ice onto the inside of your windsheild with the heat on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts