Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am in the middle of taking out the gearbox for the Steering.
Per the Hayes manual I have Placed the front end on Jackstands
2nd Disengage the flex coupling sheild from the steering gear input shaft shield and slide it up the intermediate shaft. 3rd Disconnect the flex coupling from the intermediate steering shaft flange by removing the attaching bolts. 4th
Using an appropriate tie-rod end remover, disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, thats where Iam having trouble. I'am trying to use the pitman arm remover, is there another type of remover I need for this or will this work?
The bottom of the puller starts to slide up the Pitman arm and will stop half way
then start to go crooked. Is there a step I'am missing or is this thing just hard at crap to get off. I may be using the wrong tool. Thanks for your time.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
that should be the right tool. Is a large tie rod end puller. Some have clearance issues between the bottom of the gear box and top of the pitmman arm. If tahts the case, just grind your puller down where its hitting IF that will help. You would ahve to look at it.

Worst to worst, laeve the pitman arm on, pull the TRE off, and then the gearbox. Take the gearbox down to the local mechanic and have him use one of thsoe super adjustable pullers to get it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it off with an tie rod puller, went back to Advance Auto Parts and got it.
I got the new gear box on.
Had in on jack stands so that when I replaced it, I filled power steering back up.
Cranked it up, turned steering wheel back and forth. Jacked it back down. Checked level added more fluid. Drove it around and man was the power steering
making all kids of noise. It slowly started to go away after driving it around for a while. Then I read in the manual and it said to unplug the connector coming off the hydraulic line and turn wheel back and forth, then checked level. I did that and was able to add more. It still making some noise. It may take a couple off days driving it around, hopefully any way.

Does anyone think I should get an alignment after this installation?
I got rid off allot of play, but there still is some there.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
MastaDisasta said:
Does anyone think I should get an alignment after this installation?
I got rid off allot of play, but there still is some there.
no, you're steering geometry hasn't changed any.
I still had some play in my front end when I replaced my steering box, even though the instructions say not to adjust the new rebuilt box, I did anyways and it improved a bit more. There will always be some wandering issues, with the TTB, especially if you have larger than factory tires, unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts