Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a 40+ inch tire that isn't really wide?

I looked @ 4wheel parts last night and it looks like 39.5/40 x 13.5 is about the limit.

I want the most ground clearance I can get without the tires sticking out past the body lines. They are really strict here in Pa., and I don't want to have to install fender flares to cover them up. It's bad enough that I'm going to have to do something about bumper height laws.

I'm getting ready to do my SAS and need to start considering wheels and tires. It looks like 17 X 10 rims give me more options when it comes to tire selection as well.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about going with these in either 16 or 17 inch:

Part Number: SSTROK-07
  • 39.5/13.50-16LT, Radial IROK
  • Black Letters
  • Load Range E
  • Max Load 4080
  • Tread Depth 21/32
  • Overall Diameter = 39.5

·
Banned
110 Posts
Tsl makes one like a LTB but its really tall and reallllly skinny. i think truckaddons.com has them.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,827 Posts
You gotta be careful when you go that tall of a tire. The truck needs to get wider or your just gonna increase your center of gravity like crazy.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
You gotta be careful when you go that tall of a tire. The truck needs to get wider or your just gonna increase your center of gravity like crazy.
That would be my concern... tippy, plus it seems like the sidewalls might flex more under load...

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Yeah, you need the wider tires for that height. I've only ever been bothered about my tires sticking out once and that was by a state cop. Also my tires stick out a good 4"

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Michelin military tires. I ran 325/85R16 XML tires on my Bronco. They measured out to about 39"x12.5" on 7" wide wheels.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Dick Cepek Fun Country 2 makes that size 325 80 16 looks bad ass

saw that setup on a 04 powerstroke duelly today was awsome

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Michelin military tires. I ran 325/85R16 XML tires on my Bronco. They measured out to about 39"x12.5" on 7" wide wheels.
Where can you find those dude? They are gone off the Michelin Truck site and an internet search doesn't yield any vendors. Thats what I'm looking for after I finish my SAS...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Here are 39.5x13.50x17 IROK Radials......and they are for sale.....of course shipping to PA would be killer

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Where can you find those dude? They are gone off the Michelin Truck site and an internet search doesn't yield any vendors. Thats what I'm looking for after I finish my SAS...
They're not easy to find anymore, best bet is a military surplus dealer somewhere. I got mine from Canada several years ago. I sold the set I had but I have two left.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are 39.5x13.50x17 IROK Radials......and they are for sale.....of course shipping to PA would be killer

Looks like those Iroks are going to be what I end up with.

Looks good.

One thing you guys have to remember is not everyone here is looking to wheel their rigs to the extreme. While there were some good points given about center of gravity and what not, I am mainly building a heavy duty DD that will see some light wheeling.

Mostly snow here in the winter and some occasional fishing trips to my local spots.

I am mainly building the F250 that FORD should have in the first place.

I've replaced every piece of sheet metal on the truck and there is no way I'm cutting my fenders or installing fender flares. That would ruin the clean lines of the truck, and defeat the purpose of finding and replacing rust-free, bondo-free sheet metal. If it were up to me, I wouldn't even have the running lights on the top of my cab, but they were there and I"m going to have to live with it.

I've gone through a lot of trouble removing anything that takes away from the look of a clean, simple, plain jane truck. It's exactly what I wanted. I'm even going to have either 16 X 10, or 17 X 10 OEM looking steel wheels made that will be powder coated the same color as my truck (Imperial White).

Basically what I'm trying to do is build a lifted, heavy duty 84 F250 that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts