Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so when i hit certain bumps, which we tons of here in NJ, i get a tambourine sound coming from the right rear...i've changed the rear shocks in the past month or two, but i just noticed the sound so i'm not sure if it happened before the shocks or just after...could it be anything besides the shocks back there making this noise?

·
Registered
710 Posts
My guess would be exhaust. It's a little vague in the description though. best thing is to crawl under there and wiggle your exhaust. see if it's hitting anything up and down or side to side.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I'd guess the exhaust too, since that's the corner it's in. Easy enough to check.

The second question would be, do you have an external or internal spare tire? If it's external and not in the best shape, they can make some noise going over bumps too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It could also be something coming loose in your rear drums. THat happened to me once and some of the springs came loose and shit fell to the bottom of the drum making it bounce around.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check around for any loose bolts/washers. Check your shock bolts, sway bar end link bolts, etc. If a nut or bolt gets loose and there's a washer on there, it'll jingle like crazy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exhaust is possible, i'll have to check that...i don't have a spare, so it can't be that...hopefully it's nothing in the rear brakes, i hate rear brakes...i'll also check the rear shocks...it's possible i didn't tighten it enough...

another question for you guys, front shocks, what's the best way to tighten those down...when i tighten the top bolt, the whole thing spins...i try using a vise grips, but that doesn't work...is there a special tool to use to tighten front shocks?...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Usually the end of the shaft has either two flats on it or is a hex shape. You should be able to put a wrench or pliers on that to keep the shaft from turning while you use a wrench on the nut.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
how goes the search? i have the same noise, comes when i'm on the gas and will go away after i lift off the gas peddle. think it may be the cats

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i know the noise you're talking about and it's driving me nuts right now. my exhaust doesn't touch anything, my shocks are tight, but when I hit a bump it sounds like a damn hare krishna is chasing me down the street. :banghead

Was hoping you'd gotten some resolution.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
my guess is that there's a tambourine in the back of you're truck, or possibly attached to the axle.

and as selms said, check you're drums. if the tambourine is missing from you're drum set then it is likely in the bronco.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
isnt' my exhaust...i checked everything and can't find where the noise is coming from...i'm lost...but it's definately not a tamborine...i checked...none there....:toothless

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check the center caps on the wheels. If you have stock rins, the center cap bolst on with 3 screws. These screws, on mine at least, dont thread directly into the wheel, but rather a plastic nutsert inside the wheel. Over time these nutserts break, etc, and you cant fully tighten the center cap to the wheel. I get these sounds too. Actually, I'm looking for replacement nutserts if anybody knows where to get em. LMC doesnt carry these.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
just throwing this out there. did my radius arm bushing today and noticed that it could have been the issue, gotta drive it some more to be sure, but the washer had alot of movement from the worn bushing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts