Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bad tapping sound in my 351w, i think it is the lifters, i dont think it could be anything else, can anybody else give me some suggestions

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you dont have oil getting to the top of the motor. Do you have oil in the motor? Do you have oil pressure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the oil is fine, as a matter of fact i replaced the oil pump, and changed the oil twice, i even used that two bottles of lucas oil stabilizer

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
yomama'sbronco said:
the oil is fine, as a matter of fact i replaced the oil pump, and changed the oil twice, i even used that two bottles of lucas oil stabilizer
You used 2 bottles of that thick tar? Man, I put just one in mine last fall and decided then and there I would only throw that stuff in during the summer months. I don't know where you live, but if it isn't in the sun belt, I would drain the oil and put some 10w30 in it, regardless, 2 bottles is way too much.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Similar... 4.3L Chevy, I did an oil change (10W30) with a generic, got a tap. Drained it and put Castrol GTX in, sounded sweet. Im pretty sold on Castrol GTX... (or valvoline). Anyway but Caker State. Anything, it was a though...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
yomama'sbronco said:
There is your problem, the lucas oil stabilizer. Don't use it. If you are having problems building oil pressure, fix the problem. Don't patch it with motor honey.

Sometimes tapping is caused by coked oil trapping the oil passage to the lifter. In my experience, the best way to solve this issue is to drain two quarts of oil from your engine and add two quarts of TYPE F ATF. Drive the truck for about 50 miles, and change the oil. The Type F ATF has a lot of detergents and is fairly thin. It can get past whatever blockage is in the lifter and stands a fair chance of dissolving it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
is there any other things i can do, im sure its not an exhaust leak all new pipe and manifolds.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Seafoam in the crankcase, run it for about 50 miles easy, and change the oil with synthetic.

·
0 Posts
Ok,

Did it do this before the oil change?
What is your oil pressure reading? Mechanical, not the dummy gauge.

If no,
Drain that crap and fill with Mobil one or something sythetic and dont put the molasses in there.

If this was tapping before the oil change then you are not getting propper lube the the rockers via crappy lifter or plugged push rod, etc. Remove valve covers and use splash gaurds on the rockers and see whats noisy.

Thats just my suggestion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i agree with the above post with too much motor honey. if ya ever need a cheap and easy splash guard for checking valvetrain get an old junk valve covers or ebay like 5 bucks and get a cutter and split it down the middle u now have a cheap easy to work with splash guard

butch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts