Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a handgun to keep in my apartment and to target-fire occasionally. The main purpose, of course, is home defense. I found a seemingly nice deal on a Taurus PT 92 and would just like to know if anyone here has fired one. I've fired my share of guns from .22 to .45 handguns and rifles, but I've never had the opportunity to do so with this brand or model.

Thanks

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
careful on the year you get. I had a PT-92 when Taurus first went into business. The gun constantly tophatted, no matter how clean i kept it, the non-adjustable fixed sights were off. The weight of the gun loaded, was unbalanced, and i was just generally not happy with it. It's the one and only gun i have ever sold from my collection.

Taurus however has come a long way since then, i picked up a PT-140 Millennium that i am extremely happy with. So things may have changed.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My roomate carries a Taurus P.T. Millennium 140 Pro. .40 cal for his concealed weapon, and he says it is a real quality gun.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, is $290/obo a good buy? I'm not sure of the year. The ad lists it in very good condition.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
i personally wouldnt buy a taurus. cheap isnt always a good choice, especially when you buy a gun

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
buying a used gun is such a crapshoot, you don't know if you are getting someone's lemon or not. unless i knew the person selling it, i don't think i would do it.

i just bought a brand new .40 handgun (FNP) for a little more than $100 above the price you would be paying for that used gun. any problems at least i've got a warranty.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
Looks like a recent gen PT92 (older ones didn't come in stainless) so it shouldn't give you too much trouble. I wouldn't worry about inheriting somebody's problem gun; used guns are rarely "used up" and Taurus has a lifetime warranty. I have used that warranty on two occasions and both times they simply sent me a new gun. And before anyone says something like "well, if you had to send guns back twice, then Taurus must be crap", I've also had to return guns to Para-Ordnance, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory and Bushmaster. Believe me, the last thing a firearm manufacturer wants to deal with is the potentially huge liability associated with a defective gun.

I have a Taurus PT1911 and I love it. $290 for a PT92 sounds pretty reasonable to me. :thumbup

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
I had a PT101AF, it's the .40S&W version. The only problem I ever had was the roll pin for the rear sight walked out. One call to Taurus and I had a new part. You could probably pick up a NEW Ruger 9mm for close to the same price. If you're not in a hurry, shop around. I would offer the seller $250 unless it comes with at least three magazines.

·
Registered
153 Posts
$290. is not a bad price for that Taurus. Not a real good picture. Magazines are cheap. Now if you have to go through an auction, pay postage, transfer fees...no, not a good deal. I'd buy it ioutright. I consider any good used gun as a Taurus pistol under $300 a good deal.
JMO
Rog

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help. This gun comes with two magazines and is a local sale. Also includes the carry case.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Sounds like you got advice for every Taurus made except the model you asked about...:duh
I carried a PT92 for a few years, never had a problem..they're decent for the price.
Although, you said you wanted something for home defense, and I'd recomend a shotgun. Especialy in an apartment. The shot won't travel through walls like a slug will.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
The shot won't travel through walls like a slug will.
A common misconception...a 1 oz. charge of #8 birdshot will sail right through a sheetrock wall like a solid projectile at typical apartment gunfight distances (unless you use a shot spreader, which reduces the likelyhood of overpenetration but also greatly minimizes the effectiveness of the load). The best way to keep the pellets from going through walls is to make sure they land inside your opponent, so you might as well use 00 buck. :toothless

·
Registered
447 Posts
Since it is a local buy, maybe you could meet the seller at a nearby pistol range. Put a box of 50 rounds through it and see if you have any problems. Your local gun range will probably give you a free inspection of the gun and give you their two cents worth.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
I would look at the Ruger SR-9, they come in other caliberes too.
17 rounds baby.

Or give the FN pistol a serious look.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Since you say your main purpose is Home Protection.

For me, I would only buy a 9mm or .40 Cal Handgun that would accept Laser grips, Crimson Trace makes these.

In low light, close quarter situations where acquiring target quickly and accurately could mean the difference between life and death I want a Laser sight. Crimson Traces Laser Grips keep the shape of the gun without bulky add on sights that also add weight and can throw off the guns balance.

Just my opinion.

Oh and IIRC Crimson Trace does not currently make Laser Grips for the Taurus you are looking at but they do for the Beretta which is what Taurus copied for the PT 92 so it may work, but you would have to ask them. If it did I would think they would list it. :shrug

Crimson Trace Laser Grips Website :chili:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts