Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, some slight background. on my 'new' 1986 Bronco, the R12 system does not work. I do not know why, nor care, yet.

I have a 2002 F-150 4.2L I need to haul off to the junk yard, but if there are some parts I can use, I would like to. The compressor looks similiar to that on the mid 90s 5.8L broncos, minus some differences in location of the hoses.

However, the bracketry of my 86 is very different than the later EFI models, the compressor on my 86 uses ears, whereas the compressors on the later broncos and my 4.2 uses a mounting pad onto a flat bracket.

here is the late model R134A compressor:

here is the 86 compressor

the late model 5.8L compressor has a different location for the hoses than the 4.2L, but I plan on completely redoing the hoses simply to clean up the bay.

So, are the 4.2L and 5.8L late model compressors otherwise interchangeable?

And, how difficult would it be to change from a 3-belt V-belt to either the 5.8L late model belt setup that would line up with this belt, OR to a complete serpentine system but using the 5.8L latemodel bracketry to mount the compressor?

I found this image of a 351W late model, 93/94 F-250?

I assume I would also need to pull the alternator off my 4.2L which that mounting style as well, my truck already has a 3G upgrade on it. along with all of the accessory brackets for a late model 351W bronco, alternator, tensioner, power steering, and a/c brackets, plus pulleys.

the more I look at it, I am thinking that it may not make alot of sense, I would be better off just buying a R134A conversion kit that includes the compressor, something like this:

thoughts, ideas?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Your 86 has an FS6 compressor, 88+ has an FS10. The FS10 was used on tons of Ford vehicles for many years, the only changes being the hoses and mounting points, that's why it looks similar, its identical on the inside. FS10s are dirt cheap and so it's not worth trying to cobble on one from a completely different application. And forget about trying to use the alternator too. Unless you swap ALL the accesories from a late model truck and go serpentine belt forget about the fs10 as well. A stock system converted to r134a performs just fine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 86 has an FS6 compressor, 88+ has an FS10. The FS10 was used on tons of Ford vehicles for many years, the only changes being the hoses and mounting points, that's why it looks similar, its identical on the inside. FS10s are dirt cheap and so it's not worth trying to cobble on one from a completely different application. And forget about trying to use the alternator too. Unless you swap ALL the accesories from a late model truck and go serpentine belt forget about the fs10 as well. A stock system converted to r134a performs just fine.
ok, guess I'm going that route then. Thanks!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,996 Posts
86 could have that style or a York compressor. They arent interchangeable per mounting bracket style. Nor with the later FS10. You could swap to a 90+ serp setup. I have the bracket with saginaw power steering that you would need for the small bolt AC pump. You would need to source the other side with alternator and smog pump provisions. I could get that if need be.

The 4.2 Essex v6 does share some components with the SBF, but I cant be sure the accessory drive would bolt up. Should be close as the 4.2 uses the sbf bellhousimg pattern. If you go that route, get one from a van. They have the gm saginaw type 2 steering pump with remote reservoir.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts