Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 89 bronco with only 82k original miles..Other than the fact that it's underpowered it runs great. The only thing I noticed is the temp gauge seems to be normal when it's straight up and down. But as I'm going down the road it will drop down a 1/4 inch and then go up a 1/4 inch above normal. It happens pretty quickly you can watch the gauge go up and down. Is this common? I don't seem to be losing any coolant, but every car that has ever done this to me has had a headgasket issue....I dunno...What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
sounds more like a sticking Thermostat.....also look at the temp sendeing unit......you would have more stuff wrong if head gasket I think

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Maybe loos wire on Temp sender air blowing it around or loos nut behind wheel:thumbup​

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1clean5.8 said:
mine did that when the heater core was blocked
I had asked a question much like this one the other day. I live in northern PA and it is gettig kind of chilly here. My temp gauge is doing the Yo-Yo thing much like Fastang. I had a rad leak so I changed it along with w/p, upper and lower hose, w/p bypass hose, thermostat 195*. My heat is -o.k.- not something to burn the skin off your hand but not near as hot as my ram or my wife's tribute. So when you swapped out your heater core was it not producing as much heat as you thought it should as well as the Yo-Yo thing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ended up pulling the temp sensor and whoever had installed it used red RTV. Since my heat wasn't "HOT" I tried it the heater core as well. Now I am just about rock solid on the "R" in Normal :thumbup. That makes me a whole lot more comfortable on long drives like last night to Philadelphia and back this morning. That is four hours one way. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I agree agree with everyone, I just did a radiator swap that was bleeding a bit on the (pass) right tank but it didn't change the temp needle and it's like a toaster oven when I turn on the heat. I don't like to be cold even in SOCAL. A good idea would be to look for tell tale signs of leaks around the top of the motor, like water trails or rusty spots anywhere water might accumulate. This way you get a handle on what's going on with the truck and you can begin to narrow it down to fix & eliminate. Places to look could be around the throttle body cooling tubes, cooling temp sensor, all hoses and the radiator. If necessary clean everything up then any new developments will tell you what's going on. Change thermostat if you need to, cooling temp sensor, you'll find the Broncos love to drink water so keep everything topped off and keep a jug of water in the back just in case you heat up, you can just stop and refill and back on the road, IMO.
Definatley beats blowing a head gasket. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts