Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 95 Bronco with 50K miles and the factory temp gauges stays on the n sometimes o of the NORMAL range. Is this correct, thought it might be running cool, replaced thermostat same thing. Could be temp sender, but wanted to check if you guys experienced the same thing. BTW, it is the 5.8 351. One other gauge related question, on the fuel tank, never seems to register a full tank and moves quickly to 1/2 and on Empty can only put 25 gallons in.
Thanks,
Tex

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
My '94 does the same thing, I also changed the sender and the thermostat (195*) Still reads right on the "o" on mine. My guess is that Ford figured that anything in the "Normal" range was good enough.
On my '96, I can see the temperature rise to about the "m", then the thermostat opens and it goes back to the "o" and sometimes cycles (especially when it is cold out) a couple of times. The '96 has the trailer towing cooling package. Maybe that's why.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I have both the stock gauge and aftermarket in mine. With a 195 t-stat mine runs at about 200 degrees on the After market gauge and between the M and L on the dash gauge. With 180 t-stat it runs at about 182 degrees and between the R and M on the dash gauge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
cant help on this one. I just replced the sender and the rotted connector. When I went to crank up the battery was dead. Odyssey here I come.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was about to ask the same question. My truck has the 351 and 3.55. I don't think I have ever seen it over the "N" even when towing my 18" walleye boat. Now that winter is here I was looking for a little more heat. I have recently replaced my radiator(tank cracked) and though that maybe the fan clutch was bad and the fan was pulling air all the time. How ever it seem to be OK. Any sugestions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
New to me 95 Bronco with 50K miles and the factory temp gauges stays on the n sometimes o of the NORMAL range. Is this correct, thought it might be running cool, replaced thermostat same thing. Could be temp sender, but wanted to check if you guys experienced the same thing. BTW, it is the 5.8 351. One other gauge related question, on the fuel tank, never seems to register a full tank and moves quickly to 1/2 and on Empty can only put 25 gallons in.
Thanks,
Tex
Have you checked to see if your temp. guage reads about the same whether the engine is running or not? The reason I ask is because my '96 guage reads normal when my key is in the on position and the engine isn't even running (cold).

Basically from what I've learned through searching on this subject(but haven't fixed my problem yet) is that our guages are nothing more than glorified idiot lights instead of guages where they respond to a set voltage input. (instead of a variable rate ,don't remember all of the particulars). So search the subject and you'll find a variety of symptoms, diagnoses, and diagrams for your temp. gauge AND fuel guage issues. Miesk5 has alot of info. on this subject.Good Luck!

·
Banned
7,083 Posts
The gauge is just a gauge - not a calibrated meter. Read these captions:

If you want to know the engine temp, point something like this at the t-stat area of the intake manifold:

<-Clickit

For the fuel gauge, read my first link above, and then these:

Only the oil pressure gauge is dumb on '87-up; the others are real gauges. And the oil gauge can be EASILY made to work:

·
Registered
79 Posts
The gauge is just a gauge - not a calibrated meter. Read these captions:

If you want to know the engine temp, point something like this at the t-stat area of the intake manifold:

<-Clickit

For the fuel gauge, read my first link above, and then these:

Only the oil pressure gauge is dumb on '87-up; the others are real gauges. And the oil gauge can be EASILY made to work:

Thanks Steve83 for clearing that up. Thought it was the temp. gauge as well as the oil pressure gauge. Both of my gauges go to normal with the key on and don't move when the engine is running.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[QUOTEOnly the oil pressure gauge is dumb on '87-up][/QUOTE]

Steve83: I would disagree w/that statement. I think ALL the gauges on my '96 are dumb!:histerica

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
If the top radiator hose is hot shortly after running the engine then the T-stat is doing it's job, I'd be inclined to think it's either temp guage sending unit/wire lead or the idiot dash gauge itself, many here swear by mechanical guages for accuracy or go with Steve83's device...(nice to see you here Brother, it's been a while) :rockon

This may be a good time to "backflush" the cooling system if you haven't done it in a while, cleaning out the engine internally, radiator, heater core and hoses etc. etc. will certainly contribute to accuarte temp readings.....not to mention the nice heat you'll have if you live in a cold region.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine is between the O&R, mostly over the O usually. I want to install mechanical gauges. I would feel better knowing for sure. I have to find a good location on my 89 to mount them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks,
Tex
Like Steve said, the temp gauge is just a gauge, not calibrated, not very accurate. A aftermarket gauge would need to be installed to get correct engine temperature. To answer your other question about the gas gauge...I had the same problem. My was that there was a pinhole on the fuel pump float which would fill up with gas and from 1/2 on down the gauge moved really fast. They are made out of brass. I bought a new float from the dealership and the gauge works fine now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You could try a radiator flush, I had problems with my temp gauge also. Flushed the radiator and that fixed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I just put new hoses, waterpump and thermostat as well as flushed the radiator. The system seems to be working fine, heat is good and just wanted to see if the gauge was accurate or not. Just concerned that it was running cool. Seems to be the norm, I might look to install a real gauge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine is between the O&R, mostly over the O usually. I want to install mechanical gauges. I would feel better knowing for sure. I have to find a good location on my 89 to mount them.
TonyPa:
I bought a replacement t-stat housing from NAPA and it comes with a threaded boss on top of the housing to install an aftermarket gauge.:thumbup

·
Registered
116 Posts
TonyPa:
I bought a replacement t-stat housing from NAPA and it comes with a threaded boss on top of the housing to install an aftermarket gauge.:thumbup
Hey! That's way cool!!! I will definitely ,look into that! I seen where the oil sensor was, I wanted the oil and water to be mechanical. The amp gauge seems okay. I just seen some auto meters at advance. I guess their okay?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Auto-meter makes the best gauges IMO, lots of people in the racing industry use them. Some of them are more pricey than others, pick your poision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts