Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temperature gauge readings wander between N and A. I just replaced my radiator, wP, thermostat, and upper and lower hoses. My radiator had crapped out on me and I figured while I had it out of the way I would do the other things. I also replaced what I thought was the temp sensor for the gauge but it might have been for the computer. It was located (standing on front of the bko looking at engine) right above thermostat housing in a vertical tube that had heater hose running to it. Anyway I am looking for a way to T/S the gauge. Any ideas would be appreciated.
David

·
Banned
21,545 Posts
What does "T/S the gauge" mean???

You replaced the ECT, for the EEC. The gauge sender is brass with 1 terminal & a R/Wh wire (or maybe Wh/R). It's in the intake manifold at the L front on a V8.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry "T/S" is shorthand for TroubleShooting in the Navy. I did my time there and it has stuck with me. Soooooo what do you recommend for troubleshooting this? I would like a more consistent temperature reading. I almost get seasick watching it. It doesn't move very fast but you can watch it move from one position to the other.

BTW thank you both for showing me the correct location of the sending unit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
meweehaa said:
My temperature gauge readings wander between N and A.
I had the same thing happening last fall. The belt was squealing as well. When I replaced the belt tensioner (serpantine sp? belt) to fix the squealing, it fixed the oscillation of the temp gauge as well. My only guess was that the belt was slipping on the crank pulley or the water pump so the pump was not spinning exactly with the engine like it was supposed to.

·
Banned
21,545 Posts
The gauge circuit is very simple, so there's not much T/Sing to it. :toothless You have 12V & ground applied to the gauge, which has 2 windings. Ground for the 2nd winding goes out to the sender thru ~4 inline connectors. The 1st winding is the balance coil, which corrects for voltage variations in the charging system.

The only possible failures are: bad gauge (not likely), bad sender (possible, but still not likely), supply voltage or ground fault (not likely if the other gauges work), or poor connection in the R/Wh circuit (VERY likely, & somewhat common). Make sure the terminal on the sender is tight & clean, and then pull the instrument cluster to polish the film circuit contacts.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
meweehaa said:
My temperature gauge readings wander between N and A. I just replaced my radiator, wP, thermostat, and upper and lower hoses. My radiator had crapped out on me and I figured while I had it out of the way I would do the other things. I also replaced what I thought was the temp sensor for the gauge but it might have been for the computer. It was located (standing on front of the bko looking at engine) right above thermostat housing in a vertical tube that had heater hose running to it. Anyway I am looking for a way to T/S the gauge. Any ideas would be appreciated.
David
I know you just put in a new one, but that could be a flakey thermostat.

:thumbup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seabronc said:
I know you just put in a new one, but that could be a flakey thermostat.

:thumbup
That would seem like a possibility but it did it prior to the new thermostat. It was doing it right up until the radiator decided to urinate on the gas station parking lot while I was getting coffee.

Slaga said:
I had the same thing happening last fall. The belt was squealing as well. When I replaced the belt tensioner (serpantine sp? belt) to fix the squealing, it fixed the oscillation of the temp gauge as well. My only guess was that the belt was slipping on the crank pulley or the water pump so the pump was not spinning exactly with the engine like it was supposed to.
I was thinking about the belt slippage idea. The temp. gauge didn't wander when I first bought it but then it started it about a week before the radiator gave out. I wonder if it wasn't spraying a little bit onto the belt and burnig the extra off until it finally starting a small gushing. It could still have been wet since I changed all that stuff just on Sunday and I made a mess of it when pulling hoses and radiator. It is cold here so not too much air drying happening. Driving home tonight it didn't wander as much, actually very little . So I will look at the connectors, clean them and spray some contact cleaner in them and see what happens.

Mechanical gauges aren't in my immediate future. The truck is in great looking shape in and out so I want to keep it fairly factory for now. I just like it to function as it should.

Thanks Steve I will look at it tonight.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
anti-freeze doesn't really evaporate, you really gotta dilute it to get it to evaporate.

and if you got anti-freeze all over your belt, replace it. and clean the pulleys as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up pulling the temp sensor and whoever had installed it used red RTV. Apart from that 1clean5.8 said his heater core had caused the same problem on another thread. Since my heat wasn't "HOT" I tried it as well. Now I am just about rock solid on the "R" in Normal :thumbup. That makes me a whole lot more comfortable on long drives like last night to Philadelphia and back this morning. That is four hours one way. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts