Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Tempo that is my d.d. I have noticed a low pitched hum coming from right side at highway speeds,but only when I am cornering on a right turn,or when the road is uneven.
I thought maybe it could be a wheel bearing,I jacked it up and it seems to spin freely and it doesn't have any back and forth play that I could notice. I did hear a little of a clicking noise coming from the drive axle when I spun the wheel back and forth.
It also has developed a clicking or clattering sound when I turn the steering wheel, It doesn't always do this, but it doesn't seem to matter if the car is moving or not.
Any ideas?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
It's a dead bearing. If there's a loud clicking on turns the cv axle is dead too.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
yep sounds like a wheel bearing

you will almost never hear it make noise unloaded
and they are almost never feeling loose unless they are totally trashed

and better yet, wow a tempo still in one piece,havent seen one in yrs

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
yep sounds like a wheel bearing

you will almost never hear it make noise unloaded
and they are almost never feeling loose unless they are totally trashed

and better yet, wow a tempo still in one piece,havent seen one in yrs
This. All of it.

If it's making a noise on sharp right hand turns (swerves too) it's most likely the LF bearing. The more weight you put on a bad bearing, the more noise it makes.

However, sometimes the noise transfers to the good bearing and leaves you going :scratchhe and :banghead after you replace the bearing you SWORE was bad yet the noise is still on the same side.

Ask me how I know....:brownbag

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
This. All of it.

If it's making a noise on sharp right hand turns (swerves too) it's most likely the LF bearing. The more weight you put on a bad bearing, the more noise it makes.

However, sometimes the noise transfers to the good bearing and leaves you going :scratchhe and :banghead after you replace the bearing you SWORE was bad yet the noise is still on the same side.

Ask me how I know....:brownbag

And this is why one should replace/repair wheel bearings/brakes/tires in pairs.

:beer

·
Registered
829 Posts
If one wheel bearing is bad I always replace its companion. Can't be far behind and I'm already there doing the procedure, goes faster when its fresh in your mind.

Also your problem in general is that it's a 1993 Ford Tempo. :D

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
If one wheel bearing is bad I always replace its companion. Can't be far behind and I'm already there doing the procedure, goes faster when its fresh in your mind.

Also your problem in general is that it's a 1993 Ford Tempo. :D
Do you think a '93 Ferrari F 50 with 200+k miles without routine maint would not have the same problem? It's wheel bearings man, they wear..

:popc1:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid $900 dollars for it 2 years ago, it passed inspection the day I bought it ,and just passed inspection again last week. I have put 60,000 miles on it since I bought it.It still doesnt burn or leak any oil to amount to anything. The only repairs had to do in those 2 years were a starter,ignition control module,brakes and muffler. And with a 5 speed its kinda fun to drive.Plus its a real looker.
I couldnt ask for a better car, but now im talking good about it I probably jinxed myself.
Anyway I picked up a bearing and hub assembly for both sides and im going to put them on tommorow.

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
wow a tempo still in one piece,havent seen one in yrs
Same here. I learned to drive stick on a Tempo when I was about 12.

I paid $900 dollars for it 2 years ago, it passed inspection the day I bought it ,and just passed inspection again last week. I have put 60,000 miles on it since I bought it.It still doesnt burn or leak any oil to amount to anything. The only repairs had to do in those 2 years were a starter,ignition control module,brakes and muffler. And with a 5 speed its kinda fun to drive.Plus its a real looker.
I couldnt ask for a better car, but now im talking good about it I probably jinxed myself.
Anyway I picked up a bearing and hub assembly for both sides and im going to put them on tommorow.
Thats like my 2001 Saturn. I bought it off my wifes uncle about 9 years ago. All I ever replaced was the battery, starter and front wheel bearings. Love that little car.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A bucket of gasoline and a book of matches will fix the problems.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I can remember back in 88'-89' working for Kmart auto service center. Enterprise rent a car would drop at the least 2 Tempos a week with fuel pump trouble. Aside from that they were just good commuter cars.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put my new hubs and bearings in, and besides having to pay a shop $80 to press out the old hubs and bearings and press in the new,everything went good and it is nice and quiet now.
Thanks for the help guys,and you were right Unforgiven the left side was the bad side,but I replaced both.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Automatic seatbelts drive me up the wall. God damn they are the most annoying motor vehicle invention ever conceived, only possible matched by the poorly realized seat belt ignition interlock system in the 70s that never friggen worked right. I had one where the car would only start if the seat belt WASN'T fastened. Brilliant safety device right there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Luckily the belt on the driver side is broke and stuck all the way back ,so I just pull the belt over if I feel like using it.The one on the passenger side still works and annoys the few passengers I have.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
There was a K-mart that did anything more than sell Slurpees and house vagrants?? Brilliant!
The days of actual mechanic at Kmart didn't make it to far past the 90's. I was 17 and did oil changes, tire replacement and repairs. We had a couple good techs at my Kmart when I worked there.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The days of actual mechanic at Kmart didn't make it to far past the 90's. I was 17 and did oil changes, tire replacement and repairs. We had a couple good techs at my Kmart when I worked there.
I remember the local k mart when I was a kid has a 6 or 7 bay garage
always was busy
I has some k mart branded tires on a car I bought once

1 - 17 of 17 Posts