Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My tensioner pulley is squeaking. Does the pulley bolt itself have reverse cut threads? The reason I ask is that this is the pulley bolt that you crank counterclockwise to release tension on the belt. Seems logical that it would be reverse cut threads. Anyone confirm? I’d rather spend $12 on a pulley over $40 for a whole new tensioner assy.

Thanks

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,675 Posts
Yeah, I would do a new tensioner and keep ol squeally in the spare parts bin for offroading.

A member had one fail in Moab in 2019 and didnt get off the trail until after midnight. They started the trail at 9am...

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I changed the tensioner pulley on my '94, and I don't remember if it was a left hand thread, the shop manual doesn't mention that the pulley bolt is a left hand thread (but I've found errors in the shop manual before!).
I ground the end of the hex wrench to remove the chamfer on the end of the wrench so it would fit a little deeper into the bolt that holds the pulley on. I remember that when I first started to remove the bolt, the hex wrench (actually a socket with a hex bit) cammed out once and I was concerned that I would round it out.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I changed the tensioner pulley on my '94, and I don't remember if it was a left hand thread, the shop manual doesn't mention that the pulley bolt is a left hand thread (but I've found errors in the shop manual before!).
I ground the end of the hex wrench to remove the chamfer on the end of the wrench so it would fit a little deeper into the bolt that holds the pulley on. I remember that when I first started to remove the bolt, the hex wrench (actually a socket with a hex bit) cammed out once and I was concerned that I would round it out.
I just ordered the whole thing from Rock Auto. It should be a T-50 bolt I think that holds the assembly on there. Another (squeaky) spare part to add to my Tuff Bin of spare parts that I strap down in the back when wheeling.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Yes, it was a Torx bit that I ground the chamfer off of. (It's been about 10 years since I replaced the pulley.)

Reactions: MS88Bronc

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes it does have reversed threads. I also concur with purchase of a new tensioner.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,560 Posts
Yeah, I would do a new tensioner and keep ol squeally in the spare parts bin for offroading.

A member had one fail in Moab in 2019 and didnt get off the trail until after midnight. They started the trail at 9am...
lucky to find it in town to deliver also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts