Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[FIXED] Terrible, violent sound at start-up! Sometimes...

[FIXED]
=====Looks like it was the starter. On of the teeth on the gear that engages the flywheel was completely chipped off. So, obviously when it starts it was missing rattling against the flywheel.

First off, I'm driving a 1990 Eddie Bauer, 5 liter V8.

When I start the truck, often there will be this loud grinding, rattling sound accompanying the usual sounds of the engine at start-up. The sound is awful! Every time this happens, I immediately turn off the engine....then try again. After about 2-4 tries I can start the truck without the violent grinding and rattling. Then I can put the truck in gear and go.

What could it be? The starter? Flywheel? I've looked around the forums, but couldn't find something familiar. Or maybe I've overlooked something.

I can do most work on the truck. I don't have any heavy duty jacks, so I'm hoping this isn't something major.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Did you test the starter relay. Sounds to me like its sticking. Also I've had problems with the starter bolts loosening and the gears just barely touching creating a violent griding. Check the starter and then test the relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you test the starter relay. Sounds to me like its sticking. Also I've had problems with the starter bolts loosening and the gears just barely touching creating a violent griding. Check the starter and then test the relay.
Thanks, I'll check on that first. I'll make sure it's in there good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like the starter motor is mounted correctly. No loose bolts.

What do you mean by testing the starter relay? What could it be doing or not doing that I need to look for?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well, it looks like the starter motor is mounted correctly. No loose bolts.

What do you mean by testing the starter relay? What could it be doing or not doing that I need to look for?
It could be sticking on. Disconnect the starter side of the relay and put a test light on it. Turn the key to the start position and see if it continues getting voltage after you've released it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If it does continue getting voltage. Disconnect the signal wire at the top and see if that wire continues giving voltage after you let go. That would indicate the ignition switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts