Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean if its plugged. Yes, it passes emissions and smells fine. Just want to make sure the cat is not something that is killing my gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
The temp on the output side should be higher than the temp on the input side. Try thumping on it a little bit with your fist, if it rattles at al it is bad.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,079 Posts
Look at it. Plugged cats swell up. Just be careful that it doesn't explode. It can make a serious mess. Mousy parts everywhere.

Badly plugged cat.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
What temeratures should they be at ? {ooh now that 351w500 has a question he wants a real answer"

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Every exhaust shop I've taken mine to will check them for free.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
i heard someone say that if you take the o2 sensor out and run it, if black soot blows out of it then its clogged. is that right?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or no change in engine performance. I did that. No black soot or change in engine performance.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Or no change in engine performance. I did that. No black soot or change in engine performance.
i think we're both trying to do the same thing, seeing as youve asked %90 of the questions i have:rofl:. wether its clogged or not the general consensus is that a new high flow cat is going to be much better than the old double cat system. unless like me you just are curious if your current cat is plugged and holding your stock milage back. im just assuming mine is. im gonna get a cat off ebay for like $40. i got a jar of change in my room with a counter thingy at the top thats at like $145. im just gonna cash 40 from there into coinstar then deposit that in the bank. then ill just use a check or credit card to buy the cat. that way its like i didnt take money out of my account, just utilized unused change.:toothless ima do the same thing when i get the flowmaster collector.:thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Infrared 5-gas exhaust analyzer, or a comparable exhaust gas analyzing apparatus. There is no other reliable way to know, with absolute certainty, whether a catalyst is functioning correctly. I recommend using a vacuum gauge test or temperature (thermocouple) test, but a visual inspection is #2 only to the infrared analyzer.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Infrared 5-gas exhaust analyzer, or a comparable exhaust gas analyzing apparatus. There is no other reliable way to know, with absolute certainty, whether a catalyst is functioning correctly. I recommend using a vacuum gauge test or temperature (thermocouple) test, but a visual inspection is #2 only to the infrared analyzer.
in other words an new cat is cheaper.:toothless

1 - 20 of 27 Posts