Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been asked alot and i did search and found how to test it from a thread in here linking me to fordfuelinjection.com... but when i read threw and printed off instructions. i found this " Some times the idle stop screw has been adjusted, this adjusts the base idle and moves where the TPS closed voltage." and i was wondering if this affects me as i didnt think my 94 351 had an ajustable idle

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i know this has been asked alot and i did search and found how to test it from a thread in here linking me to fordfuelinjection.com... but when i read threw and printed off instructions. i found this " Some times the idle stop screw has been adjusted, this adjusts the base idle and moves where the TPS closed voltage." and i was wondering if this affects me as i didnt think my 94 351 had an ajustable idle
:doh0715::doh0715: answerd my own question there definatly is an idle set screw... now does any one know how to set idle screw incase p/o changed it??

·
Registered
710 Posts
just a guess, but make sure your idle set screw when all the way down makes your butterflies close. when they are closed check the voltage on your tps, if it is a little off on the "closed" position, back off the idle screw until it reads normal, then check it wide open (I would think it would help to have a helper so you can make it wide open with the gas pedal instead of by hand).

anyhow, that sounds good, whether or not it's right is another story :toothless

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I'd recommend that you read everything on this page: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/173616

It's not an idle screw, BTW, so your initial reaction is correct, OP. It's a stop screw, and you CANNOT set idle speed with it. At least, not correctly, consistently, nor accurately.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd recommend that you read everything on this page: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/173616

It's not an idle screw, BTW, so your initial reaction is correct, OP. It's a stop screw, and you CANNOT set idle speed with it. At least, not correctly, consistently, nor accurately.
thanks lots of info in that but i tested my tps like this "red test-lead-->orange wire, black test-lead-->black wire (KOEO) " and my reading was like 4.89... am i testing this wrong or is my tps just junk? reason i ask is other threads i read that people got reading like that with throttle body closed were using battery as ground and this was stated to be the incorrect procedure

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I think you may have measured the reference voltage, which is supposed to be ~5.0V. In that case, voltage will never change on your meter when you rotate the throttle lever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you may have measured the reference voltage, which is supposed to be ~5.0V. In that case, voltage will never change on your meter when you rotate the throttle lever.
ok then do you know what am i doing wrong, i would like to know voltage with throttle closed because im pullin code 122 with self test and i thought i should check voltage before i go buy a tps for 70.00 at part source

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
$70 for a TP? :eek: Try RockAuto.com. They have a Motorcraft replacement for $50.

But first, definitely test the original properly first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts