Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some might remember the thread about the possible job in San Antonio. The seems to have fallen through. They never called back:banghead

So I was back to square one in looking for a new civilian job. Wow I hate working in the civilian world. Such a different...lazy..attitude, at least around here for the company I work for now.

As some might know, I despise the company I work for, and the type of work I am doing. Low pay, long hours (used to it, but i was doing something I enjoyed doing), with people I cant stand for the most part, they dont do anything, Mike and I end up pulling all the weight of our office. Then on top of that, they bounce me around between doing parts clerk work at the Hanger, to my normal job in shipping and recieving. One week I am working from 7-330, next week im working 10-630. the week before last (i spent a week in Montgomery doing Annual Tour) I came in at 10 with Mike. Amelia and Kenny had a 3 hour jump on us for recieving things. They each recieved ONE thing. by the end of the day, they recieved 4 things each. With 3 hours less at work at the time of their leaving, he quadrupled (SP?) what they did each. Kenny's lazy ass sits around looking at Verizon Wireless.com and I think Amelia just stares at the fawking computer screen in a daze. Just wearing me out. Today I got a wonderful letter, "Dear Daniel Thompson, We are pleased to increase your current wages from $9.00 hourly to $9.34 hourly effective March 3, 2006....." Whoa boy...a 3.8% increase from a company that makes 50+ Million a year. So if you cant tell, I really dont like the company, and being a mechanic, I really dont like the line of work. Id be happy with a bit higher pay check (I make a whopping 550 every 2 weeks, enough to pay rent, then the rest goes to the other bills, luckily Dana's income helps some), and a whole lot less BS, and I could put up with it.

So needless to say, ive been applying like crazy to jobs. Any aircraft maintenance job, or maintenance related jobs. I enjoy turning a wrench, and want to keep doing it. Colsa, keeps calling, but keeps giving me the run around. Tried hiring me for a temp job, but im not about to give up health insurance for the possibility of it turning into a full time job in production. (it is basically a secratery job for 3 months with the possibilty of it being moved to turning wrenches as full time) The job in San Antonio, didnt go through. Here everyone wants you to be an engineer, with 10 years experience and an A&P liscence minimum to work on aircraft. So good jobs are slim for me. Most people dont like the fact i have only 4 years experience on C-130s, with no civilian formal training. :banghead

But before I DRAG this on anymore, since Im ranting, I stopped by my local mechanic, to say hi, and harasses them for awhile. Also ask if they do brakes, since I hate drums with a passion and the ranger needs to get it done. Sitting there talking to Karie (she is the person at the front desk) Well it came out, about work. She told me she has a job that would be perfect for me. I just found out her boyfriend is in some serious need of some help. He is a manager at the local Ford Dealership in the service center.:rockon He is looking for an Assistant Manager. Granted it would be working the counter, but hey, like I said, i can put up with jobs that arent my number 1 choice. Might even enjoy it.

From what she was telling me, ill get just shy of double what I am making now....plus we all know the perks of being a Ford employee. Ya know discounted parts:rockon

So she is suppose to talk to him tonight about me, and I am going to call him tomorrow. So hopefully I might be getting a job that I can finally enjoy..and make a few bucks while I am at it...also repair that damn bronco finally. If I can get this job...means I might just stick around Alabama a bit longer...not keen on that idea, but I can afford to up and move..especially with no guarentee of a job.

well just wanted to share.

if you made it this far, thanks for reading, ill buy you a cold one some time:thumbup :drinkbud

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
SrATEX said:
if you made it this far, thanks for reading, ill buy you a cold one some time:thumbup :drinkbud

beer? huh? did you say something else? :toothless whatever happens Daniel, I wish you luck :beer

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Sounds good to me, dude. I mean, you can't have a one track mind when it comes to employment. Hell, i have a Bachelor of Science and i applied for a heavy equipment mechanic position today. I doubt i'll get it, since i correctly used the word "aptitude" in my cover letter, but it's a good example of how one needs to branch out when looking for a new career...

Good luck bro :thumbup

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Does this new development work better for Dana, then?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
man i hope you get a better job, I got a cousin that says noone will hire her cause she is over educated. Anyone else believe that balony??

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys.

yeah jon...ive been applying to aircraft maintenance jobs and other military based maintenance jobs...that one at Colsa is working on Hmmvees. Main problem around here is it is mosly missle and rocket stuff.

no i havent applied to boeing in SA, but have been looking at Boeing. My father works for Boeing now that he is retired from the Army...only problem, is every job that has been listed lately is those ones that want a degree in Engineering.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
good luck daniel i wish you the best.

think about where you are applying at. Huntsville, the home of the marshal space flight program, of course they want you to have experience, good luck though i hope this ford thing pans out so you can send me parts....lol

ken

·
Registered
783 Posts
Dan,having worked for dealerships for the better part of the last 10 yrs,I'll say it hasn't been bad at all.I even worked for Ford for 8 outta the last 10.
I started out turning wrench's when I first got out of tech school,then I lost interest in modern technology,was a plumbers helper for a while,pumped gas for a while then got in to the parts buisness.Been here ever since.Your still young,no offense,try the service mgr assistant.you may like it.Its better money which is a big plus,and if there a reputable dealer they will offer you ford schooling for things you do/don't know.It may work out.If you don't like it you can always look for a different line of work or even go back to school.
Whatever you do good luck!!

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Billz4x4z said:
Dan,having worked for dealerships for the better part of the last 10 yrs,I'll say it hasn't been bad at all.I even worked for Ford for 8 outta the last 10.
I started out turning wrench's when I first got out of tech school,then I lost interest in modern technology,was a plumbers helper for a while,pumped gas for a while then got in to the parts buisness.Been here ever since.Your still young,no offense,try the service mgr assistant.you may like it.Its better money which is a big plus,and if there a reputable dealer they will offer you ford schooling for things you do/don't know.It may work out.If you don't like it you can always look for a different line of work or even go back to school.
Whatever you do good luck!!

Speaking of school i do need to get back into it..been a freshman for 4 years now lol....I hope i can get this job, and it is at least enjoyable....they arent a bad dealership...not the best one out there, but everyone has its quirks. Would love to be schooled on some Fords...might help with the money pit.

this all has gotten me thinking. Ive been looking for ways to get back to TX or OK. Well my aunt is pretty high up at the Ford dealership in Greenville, TX. If this falls through, I might talk to her about a job, and moving out there...so who knows

My biggest worry, is i think it is my age that is holding me back...lot of people see a 21 y/o and think unreliable...despite the experience i have and accomplishments ive done

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Sounds like a good opportunity, I hope it works out

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you considered an ART job? Since you are already in and all shouldn't be that hard to get. Heck i think our ISO dock and flightline have a couple of openings now.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey, man. I'll give you m,y experience. I was in the Army for six years as an acft hydro guy. I enjoyed myself the last four years, but decided to get out and try to be a civilian again. Before that, I worked for Ford as a technician. Anyway, I got out and worked at a Chrysler dealer as a tech and then as a service advisor. I was working twice as hard to bring home half as much, and I was going broke. I got out of the army an E-5 and joined the AF as an E-5, ACFT Hydro guy 14 months later. I am now an E-6 and it is 2 years later. Truth is, knowing what I know now, I would've gone back to my old unit in KY. Hell, I probably would've stayed there. AF Maintenance and Army Aviation are 2 totally different communities. I have my army WO flight packet in and hope to get accepted. I also have orders to Charleston. While I may despise my job here, I can say that at least I have a good steady paycheck whether I'm at work or at home. Civil aviation isn't neccessarily the most secure job going right now. I also missed the kind of people I worked with, and that feeling of doing somthing I though meaningful. Just my .02.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
95_G&W_XLT said:
Hey, man. I'll give you m,y experience. I was in the Army for six years as an acft hydro guy. I enjoyed myself the last four years, but decided to get out and try to be a civilian again. Before that, I worked for Ford as a technician. Anyway, I got out and worked at a Chrysler dealer as a tech and then as a service advisor. I was working twice as hard to bring home half as much, and I was going broke. I got out of the army an E-5 and joined the AF as an E-5, ACFT Hydro guy 14 months later. I am now an E-6 and it is 2 years later. Truth is, knowing what I know now, I would've gone back to my old unit in KY. Hell, I probably would've stayed there. AF Maintenance and Army Aviation are 2 totally different communities. I have my army WO flight packet in and hope to get accepted. I also have orders to Charleston. While I may despise my job here, I can say that at least I have a good steady paycheck whether I'm at work or at home. Civil aviation isn't neccessarily the most secure job going right now. I also missed the kind of people I worked with, and that feeling of doing somthing I though meaningful. Just my .02.
I knwo what you are saying. I joined up the reserves and spent 3 years on AD. My whole life has revolved around the Military. I enjoy the work, the trips, and the overall work attitude and ethics. Civilian world drives me nuts. I went reserve to finish up school before going AD. Now I am kicking myself in the ass for not gonig AD to start with. With the force reduction going on, I cant switch to AD. Every recruiter says the same thing..NO PRIOR SERVICE. That is where ive been looking at the Army comes into play. Looking at WO to fly or be a helo crew chief (prefer UH-60s) I wont make any life changing switch like until after the wedding at the end of this month. My main worry is if the Blue to green is still going on, and they are doing the 4 week familiarization course. I do not want to go back to basic...especially not a harder one. I did my share of it already. I honestly miss wearing my uniform. My father just retired from the Army about a year or so ago, and for the past 4 years been AF. Its all I know to be honest.

yeah ive looked at doing my ART package..couple guys in my shop loaned me part of theirs to get an idea how to do it...just cant motivate myself to do the paper or internet one...takes a few hours to do them. Ive heard Lackland is about to get a few openings...one of the guys was an ART there, and is trying to go back, cause he didnt realize how much Maxwell changed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yeah, they're still doing the blue to green with the 4 week course at Knox. Of course as a 15T you can be either a flying or non-flying crew chief on Blackhawks. I worked on those, little birds and chinooks. Liked them all. You need to talk to a Blue-to-green recruiter to get in the program, I believe. I have a contact for one if you want it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I assume you have a resume? Since you have a DD214 you are eligilble for what is called a VRA hire. I am hiring someone right now and all we had to do is fax the resume and 214 to AFPC and she should start by the end of the month (all depends on how the payperiods work out). To do the online application is alot of cut and paste. Pretty easy to do....

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ill take the contact...it never hurts. I know a recruiter...an old family friend, (EOD tech with my father doing EOD recruiting now, so i got some inside scoop)

I really want to be a flying crew chief. Whole reason for me going AF and choosing the career field (2A551J, C-130 Crew Chief) I am in was to fly. Figured once i finished college was gonna apply for OTS and try to get a flight slot. But as i have "matured" in life and my career, i have gotten to the point where i dont care if i am unable to fly fighters. I went from wanting to fly an F-15, to Ill fly whatever they give me, to now I just want to be in the air at least riding the things. When i was picking a career field, I wanted something where i worked on aircraft, to give me an understanding of them. figured it would give me a bit of an edge trying to get a flight slot. Plus my father mixed up Army Crew Chiefs with AF Loadmasters. Thought the crew chief always flew on the bird. Really only on AD and on rare occasions anymore. So, only flying ive gotten to do really was that 4 day ride to the Desert, and 4 days back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts