Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have searched the Forums and can't find if someone has done this yet or how it would turn out.. I was looking at the Rustoleum Textured Spray Paints and was wondering if I could do the whole outside of my Bronco in that.. What do you think??? Would it turn out OK?? Would it survive the trail??

·
Registered
616 Posts
Your asking if a rattle can paint job will turn out ok....

"you get what you pay for"...:popc1:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya.. I just really like that textured look Rustoleum makes... What's bad is i can only find it in spray can form... I should just leave well enough alone I think...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dude... That's ghetto. But if my paint job where bad enough I would give it a shot. What's the worse that can happen you have to get it professionally repainted at some point?! Do it. And let us know how it works out.

I did spray paint a all steel topper for one of my f150 pickups once and it lasted 5 years till I sold it to someone who loved it because of the paint job. I used a high grade spray can primer from Rustoleum and then a good metal paint from Rustoleum. I used 2 different tones and it came out great! You have to make sure you use a controlled environment and take your time.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
If you take your time, and wetsand between coats, spray paint will turn out just fine

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
are you talking spray paint or there bed coating??????? there bed coating sucks stay away from that stuff. now if its spray paint, do good prep work and take your time. you can make it look real good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not sure about the textured paint, but there have been numerous Rustoleum jobs (spray, and roll on) that have turned out absolutely fantastic. The textured won't allow you to sand between coats and keep the same look you want as a regular paint would.

Halfway down the page http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/56680-50-diy-paint-job/page__st__20

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/t470-durability-of-rust-oleum-on-cars

Lots of instructions and other links on this page http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...1-My-quot-rustoleum-50-roll-on-paint-job-quot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be the Textured Spray Paint so it wouldn't be smooth, nor could I wet sand between coats... I think what i might need to do is go pull a panel from a junk yard as a test piece and see how it turns out. I have a couple sheet metal pieces I cut to cover some damage on my back quarter panel and prepped them and sprayed them with a black texture paint. After my Quail hunt this weekend the truck was full of small scratches (desert pin striping) but those sheet metal panels held up great and there isn't a single scratch in the textured paint... Just wonder if I could do the whole truck in it...

I'm scared to try it, but the worst that could happen is I would need to have it painted and the best is that I have something that is different, looks good and will hold up to desert trees

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sounds like a plan, try a junk yard hood or tailgate. It comes out alright if you do it well - mask, sand, degrease, light coats, etc.
There's a guy on here who did his bumper or brush guard with rustoluem hammered metal paint, it looked pretty nice from the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
I did my bumpers, door handles, mirrors and headlight buckets in the duplicolor textured metalflake paint. I like it goes well with the other colors. I also did 2 sets of wheels in the duplicolor hammered paint. I agree with some others get ya an old or jy panel and test it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, I did it.. I added a heavy duty texture paint to the body

Here are some pics of the Driver side of my Bronco with the heavy duty texture paint.. I have some prep work pics and the final piece.. The passenger side is still in progress. I didn't want to rush it and try to get it all done in a day..

Enjoy these few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
looks good, and it will hold up and help hide damage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
nice I like it, I did my Bumper in the Black textured paint with Red accents and it's taken a beating and still looks pretty gnarly.....in a good way hahaha

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I did my custom rear bumper in the Rustoleum bed liner/texture paint and it came out pretty nice IMO. It did take almost 2 cans just for the bumper and at $9 a can that could get very expensive to do the whole truck or even just the sides. There have been a few people on here that used other bed liner products and they came out looking OK and being functional as far as wheeling through rough stuff.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Oh THAT textured paint. It's called Stone Accents or something? I was thinking of the hammered finish.

I really like that stuff, you used. I paint my AR magazines with it and It's tough as nails. It should hold up really good. Looks good too,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts