Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mass conversion complete :chili: It was a bit of a headache but none the less got it doen.
Thanks to those that helped me out with ALL my questions. I learned alot from this. I have to admit, I was at the max of any of my mechanical skills with this conversion. :banghead I will clean everything up and take some pix.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Well?? How does it run?

I guess my first real question is, why did you do the swap, as in what's done to your motor that SD couldnt handle, and what difference did it make in performance if your engine is stock?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had to rebuild my engine I ordered a cam. The cam they sent me had the wrong lobe seperation for the SD system. At the time, this site was not running it wa MY BIG BRONCO and I did not know anything about lobe seperation . So I told the guy I ordered the cam from to send me one for my year truck, and engine size. I told him I wanted an "RV" cam. Well, longer story sort the cam is to big.
After reading and search here on FSB I relized why my bronco was not running very well. I asked what my choices were. I got: put the old cam back in, buy a new cam, put a chip in, or switch to a MAF system. After reading and ask questions, which I'm good at, I decided switching to mass air was the way for me.

Yes, I can tell a difference. The throttle response is WAAAAAY better and when I slam the go pedal to the floor the front end rises up and off I go. With 4:88 gears I can feel it much better from a stand still. Now the engine does not "search" for a good idle and does not burn rich now. It has a nice lopeing sound and idles real nice. I told my wife I was done and asked her to come see if she thought it sounded better. I started it up and she was amazed at how much better it idles.

I will say this, if anyone plans on doing this conversion buy the kit from Fireguy, use this http://fordfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html
and compare the pins with what computer you have now with the computer you bought. It does make a difference, you can not go by the pin numbers on the wires. Fireguy told me this
Fireguy50 said:
That article is for an AOD transmission, A9L Mustang computer MAF swap

There are so many options for this swap, I can't make 1 set of instructions.
It requires the installer to do some research time
It was FOR ME a challange at first. Then I decided that this was not going to be one of those throw in jobs. I was going to have to do my homework and figure this thing out. I did us crazed's questions and his superford site as a referrence.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Wouldn't this conversion be way easier with a wiring harness out of a MAF 94-95 truck/Bronco? Seems like it would eliminate all the hassle, assuming you could find a harness in tact.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Yeah, without a doubt, but the trick is finding a 94-95 truck MAF wiring harness thats intact, and they'll let you take just it. If I had the money lying around, I'd definitely go with one of Ryan's harnesses... they're purty, and fsckin' well made from what it looks like.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I don't think the 94-95 engine harness will connect to any other years :shrug
air bags and 4WABS would be in it.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
But the matching computer out of a 94-95 would be necessary anyways right? And while it would have the pinouts for the 4wabs, and airbag, it would just throw the check engine/brake ! light on right, but would otherwise work fine?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Engine computer doesn't link to the air bag or 4WABS, just engine and trans

but there would be extra connectors under the hood, and I would bet the connectors at the firewall would be different for air bags and 4WABS

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I don't have 4wabs or air bags. The xtra conectors wouldn't bother me, I would either tape them out of the way or disect the harness and eliminate them. Of course this is assuming I could even find one. I went to the JY today and they only had 4 Trucks that were EFI(no EFI Broncos). 2 were 6 cyl and 2 were 302. Pretty non eventful trip. I did get a 130 amp 3G alt for $20 though. They said they're supposed to be getting a bunch of new stuff in soon so I'll have to keep checking and see if they get any good stuff for me to tear apart. They're about the only one around that still lets you pull your own stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts