Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the thing my tranny went out again, it was past the warranty, but they told me to bring it in anyways so I did. Few days later I get a call telling me it will cost $1300 to fix, money I don't have. Ok thats only $100 less than the first time they rebuilt it. So I told them to stop where they're at and I'll call them back to let em know. I called them back the next day and they had already put parts into it and now they want to charge me $327 CASH for work I told them not to do. When I keep asking them how it happened that it would go out again so soon one answer I got was that "anything can happen" and "over time" and "your doing too much four wheeling with it".
The first time they rebiult it, they put in the upgrade kit for that exact reason, so it could perform better in 4x4. I have not baet on it as much as I did the first time so I don't know how it would go out, let alone so soon.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Broncoholic said:
so heres the thing my tranny went out again, it was past the warranty, but they told me to bring it in anyways so I did. Few days later I get a call telling me it will cost $1300 to fix, money I don't have. Ok thats only $100 less than the first time they rebuilt it. So I told them to stop where they're at and I'll call them back to let em know. I called them back the next day and they had already put parts into it and now they want to charge me $327 CASH for work I told them not to do. When I keep asking them how it happened that it would go out again so soon one answer I got was that "anything can happen" and "over time" and "your doing too much four wheeling with it".
The first time they rebiult it, they put in the upgrade kit for that exact reason, so it could perform better in 4x4. I have not baet on it as much as I did the first time so I don't know how it would go out, let alone so soon.

Well, the E4OD can be finicky if not taken care of, especially the earlier years. But, how do they know how much wheelin' you are doing to suggest you are responsible for possibly abusing it? Depending on your state law, if you didn't authorize a repair, you don't have to pay for it.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Tell them you want to see the old parts. And you want to know who is responsible for putting the parts in without authorization...Threaten with the BBB or something along that lines. Im willing to bet in a matter of minutes they'll change their tune.

·
Registered
463 Posts
well they didn't do it without authorization, they did it when told not to. which is much worse. just make sure to mention that.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
Any E4OD that is newer than 97 or rebuilt after 97 should be built proof, unless the builder screwed up. Same for the AOD after 98.

Seems that this team fu--ed up the last build quality test, so I'd find somebody else.

·
Registered
893 Posts
ok, i'm not sure if this is good or not. it's $1075, but i saw it for $900 on ebay. my trans is probably gonna go out soon and i was thinking of just buying it from this company instead of getting it rebuilt. cuz the cheapest place would charge 1800 for an upgraded rebuild. so if this trans is even a little better than stock, which they claim it is, it should last me a while and cost only half as much as the rebuild, i was just wondering if u guys thought it was worth going with the weaker trans. keep in mind that i'm a kid and don't wheel my truck that hard(no neutral drops, or pulling out chevy's :toothless )

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRT&Product_Code=E4OD&Category_Code=FAT

·
Registered
621 Posts
i think that e4od's are garbage but that's me. a buddy of mine had one in his 92 bronco go out on him while returning from Baja 2000. he had to have it rebuilt on the road "there went a arm & a leg". if i were you and did'nt have the money i would probably start searching the yard's depending on where you are you might be able to pick one up for cheap. i just helped a friend of mine put one in two week's ago. he found one for $200.00 on a rolled truck slapped it in, and have'nt had any problem's yet (cross my finger's).

·
Registered
893 Posts
yeah, i already looked at a bunch of junk yards and they didn't have a e4od with under 100K, i really don't want one at the end of it's life, even if it's only a couple hudred dollars. so i'm just gonna suck it up and buy the new one when it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts