Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, its that time of year again and I need to do a complete tune-up on my 85 straight 6. I have spent several hours reading through old threads and have not found one specified for this engine.
I put in a new engine 4 yrs ago drove it for 2 yrs then stored it for almost 2. Last had a new np435 put in it and now im getting ready to do a COMPLETE tune up.

what i would like to know since i have been out of the loop for a bit is im getting to many different suggestions from people i know so i put it to your expertise.

What are the best plugs,wires, cap & rotor etc...for this engine. Also can you give me a complete list of what i should be looking at changing and giving attention to for a complete tune up.

It has been modified a bit with the carb and dist. being replaced to the 81 versions when my computer conked out i put it old school. It has i believe an autolite carb in right now but sometimes the choke sets itself and i cant start it for a bit ...almost as if it floods itself and then i get it going and get a put of black carbon out the pipe. Would prefer some other carb..any suggestions? I do have a manual choke set up i could put in but i would prefer not to ...what do you think

cleaning out the carb ??? good idea or no..what should i use ..was told to use a little atf in where you disconnect the fuel filter to keep the float from sticking... ??
has stock alt. but my dash lights are really low all the time ...charging seems fine... running single battery for now but will be doubling up ..should the alt. be changed if so to what... no pollution pump and no cat...straight piped.

well this should be a good start... sorry for all the questions but would like to know what others are doing under the hood...have no bronco buddies here only a bunch of guys with different idea's who all think they are right...:twak

thanks for any and all advice..:beer

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got an '85 6cyl, I'm curious what the answers are myself.
The only thing I can suggest is for the dash. I havn't torn mine apart yet, but if it's like most other fords I've dealt with then it has half a dozen + bulbs, and if a couple burn out the whole thing will still light, but be dim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually i did read through www.fordsix.com and found most of for performance it seemed. I came across a thread here on FSB last year that had alot of info on what plugs and wires and what not were using on this engine and tried to find it for days to no avail.

Some are telling me to use platinum and some say copper. Alot of the guys on here belong to bronco clubs and I was hoping that I could find out what is most popular amung them as far as brands and such especially regarding the carb.

still would appreciate some input here from other bronco owners.
thanks

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
have you checked for the sixliter tune-up? ubber popular, just apply it to your 6r.....

and hows that thing sound straight piped? ive been considering doing the same on a motor i wanna put in my ranger....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well since it's basically stock it's pretty straight forward. I have the same setup and run 12*advanced, stock autolite copper plugs, a TFI coil, and a motorcraft ignition module.

The 300 really likes the timing being pushed up, only thing is if you don't have youe EGR hooked up DON'T use your vacuum advance can. It'll over advance the timing under part throttle load leading to detonation.

This can be fixed by disassembling the distributor and limiting the total advance, but i just took the vaccum line off of the can. It's going to get fixed right but i'm going to wait until i replace the distributor (it's due up).

On to plugs, from personal experience I know you can't run platinum plugs with points, but i've also heard it's a bad idea to run them with a carburetor. They work, they just have a reduced life span. I just run autolite copper plugs since it's what it was supposed to have anyway.

Buy a set of good plug wires and a distributor cap/rotor with BRASS contacts. avoid aluminum like the plague.

For a coil I'm running the TFI module which creates a MUCH stronger spark than the stock DSII coil. Deal here is you have to run a Motorcraft DSII module. You will literally melt the aftermarket replacement modules due to the increased amp draw.

This also lets the plug gap get opened up about another 10 over stock.

And i'll tell ya, this thing couldn't get out of it's own way if it wanted to but it runs ALOT better than stock. Idles smoother, better economy, better throttle response. About the only thing that didn't change is absolute power. It still only does 65 up a 4% grade, but'll run 90 all day on the flats.

My 4x4 supercab with a 435, 3.5 gears, and 31's will draw down a solid 18mpg at a 60mph cruise on the flats. Before the TFI coil, timing, and good tuneup it got about 15, and before I went DSII it got about 12.

Justin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info Hoxviii ..I do believe my EGR is hooked up still but all the computer stuff was ripped out and the distributer and autolite carb are actually for a 1981-3 and the distributor has a module. Everything is pretty much replaced with stock. I did how ever change the air filter to open face and removed the feedback tube from the top of the rocker cover. I realize this is part of me carb problem but the carb even after the engine is hot will sometimes close the choke and i have trouble starting without the gas pedal to the floor only to watch the puff of black smoke out the tail pipe. doesnt happen often but it happens. the new open air breather has no place for me to hook it up ...so can it be sealed off or does it need to be left open for any reason. Do you know of an open air breather that with fit that carb with the hot air feedback connection??

Sounds great what you have set up there.. do you happen to know the part numbers for the TFI module and the Motorcraft DSII module.?? What brand of wires/cap/rotor are you running in yours..?? And with this setup you are gapping the plugs another FULL 10 over factory??

we have the same set up motor/trans. and tires ....my gas mil. is terrible right now...

other than the basics here is there anything else i should be checking/changing ..egr, sensors, pcv valves..etc...???

nothing has been touched for 3 yrs..other than air filter and oil/filter
(to long a story as to why for here)

thanks

..oh and as for the sound with the straight pipe to the muffler..it sounds normal to me ...but it just starting to get a bit louder...time to change it..
considering i have no cat. what is a good muffler for replacement to put on with this ..it is a single pipe... though i thought of going double but dont have the means to do myself would have to pay someone..$$$ but is it a big difference on this rig...is it worth the $$$

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The carb is stock 1980, TFI coil i'm using is the stock one for an 85 F150, DSII module is stock for a 1980, wires are 8mm Bosch, and i opened the plug gap up to .055 (.046 is stock).

With the carb issues the best thing I can say is start by resetting the automatic choke. With the engine stone cold loosen the choke cover on the back of the carburetor. Turn the black choke housing clockwise from the rear until the choke starts to fall open. now turn it CCW until the choke just closes, plus about 1/4". that's about right to start.

Justin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again I will give that a try. I have one more question maybe you can help me with. Last night I was out and when I went to come home I let my truck warm up and then drove home(35min.) and noticed nothing unusual until coming over a bridge i noticed a ticking sound. On the off ramp it seemed to be quite loud in the cab and a very distinctive tick,tick,tick,tick,tick...that got faster and slower as I sped up and slowed down and in both neutral and in gear. At the end of the ramp its quite bumpy and after the bumps it was still there but did not seem quite as loud (maybe may imagination on the loudness changing )...but it drove no different than usual. Got it home and let it idle while looking under the hood and i could still hear it but couldnt tell what it was...any thoughts...???keeping in mind the engine is new 4 yrs ago. I do have the hot air return that goes to that breather plugged off but has been for several months.. dont think it should matter should it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
is it coming from the drivers side, middle, or passengers side of the motor?

DS is probably a lifter, PS is probably an exhaust leak, and middle is probably a loose rocker.

Justin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like we have the same set up already.. the sound seemed to be coming from the centre but that is right where the straight six sits...im doing an oil change in the morning. I finally found some Seafoam here in BC so its getting a full clean out then another oil change...if I can still hear the tick then ill use a piece of hose to try and isolate where its is coming from.... Lately my muffler is sounding a bit louder... time for a new one... I cant remember what i put on years ago but i know its not stock...any suggestions on what a great upgrade is from stock for this set up..

thanks for the choke tip...will do that with the oil change and let you know how it turns out.. i do have a manual choke set i could install whats your input on that idea...

jo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well did an oil change and added some seafoam ...ran it for a bit and then changed the oil again to get all the crud out that loosened up.. all is perfect.... oil pressure seems a little higher than usual when driving though... but dead centre when idle...(hot)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Don't run platinum plugs.. Sixlitre will have your neck :enforce

Edit: I had that same ticking you're speaking of. Lasted 10 seconds, then stopped and I couldn't get it to do it again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive never use platinum plugs... i havent even done the plugs yet..

i was actually a little low on oil and i did an oil/filter change and the oil pressure went up to HIGH... added 1/3 can sea foam let it run for 20 min then did another oil change... should i leave a 1/3 of seafoam in longer and drive with it then do another change...if so about how long..

looked through the breather hole and all looks pretty clean... truck is old but engine is 4yrs with light driving..

still cant figure out why the preassure rides so high when in motion and normal at idle...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts