Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0 four speed auto Raven black with red interior
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals!
Figured I'd get this started so I can keep up with all the things I've had to do to her to get her back up and in usable condition. So here it goes!
For as long as I can remember I have always wanted a full size bronco to go mess around in and just to have as I think it's a cool vehicle to own. I have looked at all the broncos i could find in all kinds of conditions and some were really bad and I mean REALLY bad. I was so hard and wanted one so bad that I almost bought two that were in bad shape so I could try to make a good one out of it. I finally managed to put the thought on the back burner for several years so I could work on my 72 ford f100 that I bought at a steal and get it back on the road and usable but that want for a Bronco was always there in the back of my mind and would always pop up when I would see one.
Fast forward several years and one pops up for sale on a local road close to me but I'm able to resist the urge to stop and look at it. Well that is until everybody that knows me see's it and just had to tell me about it and then the ultimate get up and go look at it moment happened and my mom sends me a texted asking if I've seen it yet. So now I have to go look at it...
I stopped in to look at it and do a quick walk around of it and tap on the usual spots of rusty areas and it sounds like it's full of bondo and it looks like it was painted with house paint. I get the info off the sign in the window and call the number when I got the chance and they wanted WAY to much for it and I mean way to much for the shape it was in. So still no Bronco but the want is strong again and I start looking hard for one.
So I'm scrolling the Marketplace on FB and the Letgo app on my phone and I find one I'm really interested in and I send the guy a message about it. He messages me back and we set up a time the following Saturday to look at it and so the whole week I was a nervous wreck hoping it wouldn't get gone before I get to look at it and make an offer on it.
Saturday came around I looked it over and saw it needed some love as it had sat in this field for a long time so we agreed on a price and I finally made the purchase of my first Bronco!
Had a friend of mine who owns a roll back meet me there last Sunday and we loaded it up and he brought it back to my place so I could begin the process of bringing life back to her and getting her road worthy once again.
Now that's the story of how I ended up with my Bronco.
She's a 1988 XLT in Raven black with red interior 5.0l 302 with what I assume will be the AOD transmission but have not confirmed it yet.
Stay Tuned for more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm lucky in the fact that I have Dennis Carpenters and an NPD local to me so I can just swing in and grab up some parts I need for the bronco so yesterday I bought most of the weather striping that was or is bad and a new fuel tank for it as I wasn't about to give the one in it a chance as I knew it was going to be bad due to the fact that every time I walked behind it I could smell old gas and it's a good thing I did as I was greeted to this mess this morning when I dropped the tank..
So to those of you on here that are local to me if you can smell old gas it was me. I'm sorry...

It's bad...

·
Super Moderator
29,053 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
154 Posts
I'm lucky in the fact that I have Dennis Carpenters and an NPD local to me so I can just swing in and grab up some parts I need for the bronco so yesterday I bought most of the weather striping that was or is bad and a new fuel tank for it as I wasn't about to give the one in it a chance as I knew it was going to be bad due to the fact that every time I walked behind it I could smell old gas and it's a good thing I did as I was greeted to this mess this morning when I dropped the tank..
So to those of you on here that are local to me if you can smell old gas it was me. I'm sorry...

It's bad...
View attachment 184369
OOOOFff! that looks bad! I still have the smell of 12 year old gas burned into my nostrils when i dropped my tank last weekend. I feel your pain! I am going to be replacing my tank with a plastic one, i just don't want to worry about that again. @miesk5 was able to share a couple of threads about some issues with the plastic tanks that a couple of the users have shared here so it gave me something to look out for!

·
Super Moderator
29,053 Posts
Yo Erik,
Good fortune on the tank!

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
295 Posts
If it has overdrive (O) on the shift indicator on the column it is an AOD. Its not a bad tranny if you make sure the TV cable is properly adjusted and change the filter and fluid. You can throw in a simple shift kit to make it shift quicker and keep the clutches alive longer.

Looking at that tank, I would consider pulling out the fuel injectors to clean them and flushing the fuel rail and return line too.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
Nice score. Paint cleaned up pretty good and the engine bay is in nice shape for having sat that long, you usually see rats nests or other critters having gotten in there to make nests..You lucked out..Gas tank is an easy fix. I'm sure you'll have her up and running in no time..Enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I finally have a small update for you guys.
So I was able to get the new fuel tank installed with the new in fuel pump replaced as well as repairing the fuel line fitting that I broke getting the old tank out. replaced the frame mounted fuel pump and filter and flushed all the lines out all the way to the fuel rail. I didn't take any chances with the old injectors and pulled the upper intake off to replace them with a known good set I had from one of a friends mustang projects as they are exactly the same. These injectors had been refurbished with new orings and strainers and caps and came off of a running car so I knew they were good. Got it all reassembled and hit the switch a few times to prime the fuel lines and it fired right up! let it run for a few minutes and called it a night.
These last couple of weeks has been all about getting the brakes squared away. Got the new brake booster on as well as the new master cylinder and then went through the rear brake components and replaced the very worn rear shoes and wheel cylinders. The drums were in great shape and had plenty of life left in them so I had them turned and re-used them. Worked on bleed the lines to the rear and found the rubber line from the chassis to the rearend bad and had to replace it. Got it replaced got them bled and now she stops on her on with the rear brakes anyways so that's progress in my book.
Oh and I drove it to the end of the driveway and back so I could turn it around and start on the front brakes next. I've got some electrical gremlins to work out as well as I don't have any working gauges other than the tach so that's next.
It felt real good to move it under it's own power!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here's a small update for you fellas following along with my basket case bronco,
I went through all brake component's on the front end and had the rotors turned and put the new pads on it. While I was at it I replaced the soft lines for the calipers as well and with the help of one of my daughters got the front brakes all bled and working as they should. Threw the front wheels back on it and finally after all that work I was able to drive it down the road and back for the first time in 18 years.
I was a happy person for the rest of the night after that.
The next day I decide it was time to dive into all the little electrical problems that I've noticed it has which most of it are things that just don't work at all. Starting with the tailgate window that doesn't do anything at all. Someone already knew it had problems as the access panel was removed and the lock cylinder and switch was loose with the lock cylinder damaged by whoever took it all apart. I found the plug for window motor and unplugged it and then unpinned the terminals and used one of my drill batteries to check the that the motor works and then roll the window down. It worked just fine so now we can open the tailgate Great!
I climbed out and walked around opened the tailgate and realized two things: this gate is heavy and both straps are broken but that's no big deal as I can get some fairly easy. I went ahead and took the glass loose from all the window components and cleaned and serviced them. Decide it would be a great time to go ahead and pull out the window motor as well and check that the plastic gears and plastic bearings were okay and they were not there. The gears were all fine but the bearings were just gone so I ordered the 11mm bearings and put them in when they arrived. I cleaned the electrical connections for the motor and put a little dielectric grease on it and reconnected the motor. I checked the window for operation and still had nothing but after some digging found the wiring in the protective sleeve broken and very brittle. I temped up the broken wire and put it all back together and was greeted with a working rear window.
Okay now lets tackle the job of why none of the gauges seem to be working at all.... Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory Electronic instrument Nevermind lets just pretend I didn't see this right? can I do that? I don't know..
So now it looks like I'm on the hunt for a printed circuit for the cluster or the whole cluster one of the two.
Anybody got any leads??

·
Super Moderator
29,053 Posts
Yo TheBandit,
Let's rule out a bad ground. See below 88 Bronco components that share grounds, if they work, look at the 88 Bronco partial wiring diagram below.
G701 Behind IP near RH side of radio;
G801 On LH inner fender behind headlights;
G802 On RH inner fender behind headlights.
Product Font Line Slope Rectangle

Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts