Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Once I upgraded my lift from 4 to 6 inches I was never happy with the way it handled. I had read a lot of stuff on the SAS but once I saw a couple Broncos like Bronkzilla and Chris85XLT’s Bronco I decided that was the way I wanted to go.

I have been slowly gathering the stuff I wanted and it just so happened that Chris had upgraded to one ton and was selling his stuff. I picked up what he had but the Dana44 was missing the knuckles out but I bought it anyway for the gears and axle shafts.

I ended up pulling this greasy sucker out of a 75 F150. It turns out the housing has heavier wall tubing and had some other stuff I needed like the radius arms but had drums. The junkyard was having a half off day so I dragged it home with help from B-Man and his friend.

I drove down to San Diego (160 miles each way) to pick up a pair of knuckles, spindles and brake caliper mounts.

I also got a set of 79 buckets from Lightnin’.

After a lot of cleaning the 75’ dana44 is looking much better. I decided to use the best of both axles and replace all the seals and ball joints while I was at it.

The ball joints came first.

Then I replaced the seals and used a shim kit to put the Trac Lok and 4.88 gears in the housing.

The Heavy Duty axle shafts got a new set of Spicer X760 U-Joints.

I continued with a pair of almost new 78 T-Bird brake calipers.

I made a rock guard out of 3/8 x ½” stainless. Not on purpose, it just what was in the scrap pile.

I’m going to have to cut off the panhard bar mount and fab up my own.

Next up more parts.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the radius arm ends and panhard barI got two sets of 7/8” Teflon Kevlar coated Heim Joints. I also added high-misalignment spacers for the arms, all grade eight hardware.

For the steering and drag link I am using Chevy 1 ton TRE and drag links.

For the radius arm extensions I picked up 2” .40 wall heavy duty tube.

For the steering it’s 1.5” .120 DOM tube.

The extended radius arms. I am undecided it I want to plate the arms or not.

For shocks I am using Bilstein 5150’s 14" of travel.

BC Bronco stainless flex T-Bird brake caliper lines.

I still need some hard brake lines with fittings and am waiting for Lightnin' to lend me his reamer for the TRE's then its time to rip the loose noodle suspension out from under the Beater.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Reamer will be on its way asap Chris. But it is Zilla's Whore Reamer. Everyone has had it once or twice. lol

·
0 Posts
What length are those brake lines?

Looks good man! Oh yeah, what coils are you running?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
dogonmut said:
Looks good.

I'm just be a pointy headed freak but you do realize that (starting from the top) TRE #1 and # 3 are 1 tons and TRE #2 and #4 are 1/2 tons.

Also, .120 wall tube for steering? That's not very beefy for that application.
yes, you be correct.

But that's ok, many people are guilty of that, myself included. :duh

This is a good reference:
http://www.partsmikeparts.com/tre_comparison.htm

And they were used in apps. other than just 1/2T. They are nice and beefy still, which is what I like, and all are 7/8 x 18 TPI To use the true 1T ends you'd need to also have a 1x 18TPI

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Mr.N said:
Could I get the orginial pic of this? Nice how it shows both housings.
Mr. N, this pic is also good at showing the breather location difference. Notice on the farther axle (which is the cast 78-79) breather is down low, off to the side there, and the one that is cleaned up front '76 and older, no cast at ends, the breather is right up near the top of the diff.

so that further away axle will also have the little chip at the driver side carrier bearing area inside the diff so the breather will work properly.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
94_chickentaco said:
What length are those brake lines?

Looks good man! Oh yeah, what coils are you running?
18". I plan on runing the lines to the dif and up instead of up each side. so I don't need super long ones.

Superlift 6" TTB coils. with adapters I am making.

very nice.

when you say heavy duty axle shafts, you mean alloy shafts?
I don't think they are, but maybe. they are thicker than the 75 stock ones and use the x760 U-Joints.

Dogonmut: good to know. If I bend the .120 I will look to somethig heavier.

Mr N. I will send you the original pic.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
90Beater said:
18". I plan on runing the lines to the dif and up instead of up each side. so I don't need super long ones.

Superlift 6" TTB coils. with adapters I am making.

I don't think they are, but maybe. they are thicker than the 75 stock ones and use the x760 U-Joints.

Dogonmut: good to know. If I bend the .120 I will look to somethig heavier.

Mr N. I will send you the original pic.
I doubt they would be thicker. A d44 shaft is a d44 shaft. They could be alloy, and meant to accept a full circle C clip for use with the aftermarket U joints. spicer 760's are just standard D44 joints (though they are the best joint out there unless you go aftermarket).

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock axle shafts vs. the heavy duty ones. The stock shafts are 1.2" thick and the HD ones are 1.45". The joints are larger. Spicer 5-297x U-Joints in the stock axles and x760 in the HD ones.

from JBG Dana 44 Heavy Duty Inner axle, left 1966-77

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I didn't realize you were comparing with the older shafts and early broncos. Yes, they did use the smaller 260 joint. But you really can't call the shafts you have Heavy duty. They are compared to the old ones using 260 joints. But, they are standard on all fullsize broncos. Just your usual D44 shaft and spicer 760. matter of fact the TTB uses same size shafts as well seeing as they also can run a 760 joint.

not sure about all your detail though, IIRC the old 297x is the exact same size as a 760x. the 760 is the replacement for the older spicer joint.

·
0 Posts
I think i have a pic of my 4340 chromo shafts next to stock ones. :beer

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Shadofax said:
yes, you be correct.

But that's ok, many people are guilty of that, myself included. :duh
Thats cool.

I'm just on a mission to stop the misnomer.
...I don't know why.

Those rod ends do work well and are plenty beefy enough. They just tend to wear out quicker then the 26 and 27.

Shadofax said:
I can't remember how many people I've sent to that exact page.

Parts Mike is a the shiz-nit.:rockon

·
Registered
236 Posts
Shadofax said:
Mr. N, this pic is also good at showing the breather location difference. Notice on the farther axle (which is the cast 78-79) breather is down low, off to the side there, and the one that is cleaned up front '76 and older, no cast at ends, the breather is right up near the top of the diff.

so that further away axle will also have the little chip at the driver side carrier bearing area inside the diff so the breather will work properly.
Please remind me of this, incase I forget. (I'm on my third hard drive with my update web page... seems to lost info along the way)

1 - 20 of 182 Posts