Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a welder that I bought back in April working. All it needed was a new cord( I am an electrician) so you would think that I would have gotten that taken care of long ago. Yeah just haven't had the time to mess with it. To much else going on. Anyways, I am very excited and I know this isn't about fab but it is the start of much fab to come.
I have a used Century 170GS mig wire feed. I am not migging as I don't have an argon bottle. i am just using flux core wire for now. I have never welded before. Any suggestions/tips that might help me? I will get some pics of the practice welds as soon as I get a printer that will let me upload pics. My current printer won't upload off my memory card for some reason. Just something else to spend some money on. Maybe if I welded it it would work better.:toothless

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
That's really all I did, was get some practice steel to work on. is this a 115 or 230v?

Also, if you go out on hobart's site (and likely other welder brands) you can download the manual, point of which is within the manual are tips and what not on "dragging" your weld vs. "pushing", how to weld two pieces of flat plate, what settings you can use to start out with dependent on thickness of material etc. etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Do yourself a favor and ditch the flux core. Buy yourself a small tank and regulator and be done with it.

You'll get a much better weld using a shielding gas as opposed to flux core. Your best bet is to use C-25 (75% Argon, 25% CO2 ).

Don't waste your money on straight Argon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts