Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new (to me) horse trailer and it has had two or trhee coats of paint on it in its life. What would be the best and fastest way to strip it. I tried a paint stripper from Lowes but it was taking 5 or 6 applications to get near the metal and the paint isn't really that thick. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
try aircraft remover, ive used it in the past with great results.
im not sure about this but i think the name brand of it is aircraft remover, theres clouds on the can, this works alot better than the cheaper "aircraft cleaner"

·
Registered
808 Posts
This stuff worked great on the Bronc...
sorry about fuzzy picture

i bought it at Schucks for $5

spray on wipe paint off. went down to metal in about 10 secs. DONT BREATHE IT IN.

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Sandblaster

·
Garage kept
1,186 Posts
I got some aircraft remover at wal-mart

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
:stupid

I used it on a 48 dodge i was wanting to restore, and it took the 5 layers of paint (2 of those layers was house paint), and the layer of surface rust completely off. Straight to bare metal. Wear thick gloves so nothing can soak through and get to your skin. They say wear the big yellow rubber gloves that you can get for cleaning. Apply it on the entire trailer with a good size paint brush and then go back with a puddy scraper and take the paint off. Works very fast.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,662 Posts
aircraft stripper... search

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
alot of strippers (paint type) will only remove one coat at a time. The aircraft stuff is the best but like they said don't get it on you.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
welndmn said:
You got some big balls to strip a horse trailer.
Horse trailers are always beat up, and they use TONS of filler.
If it was me, I would prep it as is and then single stage paint it.
listen to this guy. we always run a piece of sandpaper over it to get it roughed up and halfway smooth then put a new coat on. just put a few light coats on for the new stuff and youll be good to go as far as coverin up the old stuff. make sure on the inside you put extra on, cause it gets a lot of stuff rubbin up against it..

and next time youll probly buy a trailer thats aluminum so you dont gotta paint it as much

wes

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
I used aircraft stipper on my tailgate, it worked awsome, had a little trouble on the thick bondo, but 3 coats of paint were off in one application. Buy the ghetto old school looking stuff with the most warnings about ventilation and wearing chemical gloves.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Use any Strippers with a good percentage of Methlene Chloride....But need gloves exc..Oh and clean your hands before leaking..lol.Those chemicals go straight in your body to your liver....

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
What I've found with paint stripper is its best to wear a pair of work gloves INSIDE a pair of rubber gloves. That stuff is usually designed to soften/destroy latex and thats what rubber gloves are made of. Helps to keep the chit off you.

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
Aircraft paint remover is the best to use....you can buy it from any automotive paint supply house. One word of caution...dont use in a garage with a kerosene heater. The fumes will get dangerous. Make sure you have the proper safety gear. But the easiest way is a sandblaster, then paint it with primer and acrylic enamel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts