Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 full size 5.8 am going to need to get a new steering gearbox my options are Motorcraft rebuilt, red head, or a PSC. Motorcraft is good which is rebuilt for $241these from OReilly Auto parts more or less Theres a shop in Fort Worth Texas they specialize in trucks I asked them about the redhead gearboxes they claim they have problems with them they said they prefer to use PSC gearbox system I looked at them on the summit racing website these are real nice but out of my price range I might go with with Motorcraft . PSC gearbox seems like it's made for lift kits
is any other options out there for a new gearbox ? I found on geek auto parts these brands BBB Industries $127,and Maval $364

My mechanic is older he has a lat 80s bronco so he knows these trucks he would prefer the Motorcraft but I'm looking for something that might be better.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,833 Posts
Red Head, white top (from broncoair) or a blue top are all great. Or a reman 4bolt box from a 99+ superduty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I put in a blue top 4-bolt and it has served me very well, but make sure your steering play isn’t somewhere else first before you replace the gear. That should be the last thing you replace.
Like MS88Bronc said, I would be VERY careful that the steering box is really bad before replacing it, as there are a multitude of other things that are more common to wear out. FWIW, the Ford steering boxes are pretty reliable and durable.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
Look it up on here and you can be the Judge and Jury. All the Remanufactured ones if you do the search FAIL and are not any good. I have a RedHead and it has and still is performing great after 6 years and 60K + miles. There should be no doubt in your mind after doing your homework on here. Good luck in your Final decision.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I’m on my third Redhead... one one a 1995 Ram 1500 replaced at 160,000 sold truck with 360,000 and the gearbox was still strong and corrected my wandering issue. Second Redhead went into a 2000 Ram 2500 300,000 miles on that gear box. 3rd and last gear box is on my 1989 Bronco... 220,000 miles on the old girl when replaced, 0 miles on new box.

The only time I ever have seen a problem with RedHead gear boxes was when some one tried to adjust them, or just plain neglect...

·
Super Moderator
27,423 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank you for your help I have replaced all the parts so I can except for this during box I believe the blue top and the redhead gearbox are about the same quality depending on what you like.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Put a Saginaw pump on too while you change the gearbox. Pm if you want one locally.

Will need saginaw bracket kit + reman Saginaw pump+ hp ps line.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,833 Posts
I thank you for your help I have replaced all the parts so I can except for this during box I believe the blue top and the redhead gearbox are about the same quality depending on what you like.
Redhead and the Bronco Air white top are the same. @BoulderBronco just paints em white. Their white top boxes come from redhead. No clue on the blue tops.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I put in a used 1-ton gear box in mine. Found it at the junk yard. If it ever dies, I'll probably replace it with another 1-ton.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts