Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched. Honestly, I have. I've read dozens of threads, here and elsewhere but none that describe my problem exactly.
96 XL w/E4OD. 213,xxx mi. Just fooled with it at length for the first time today. It runs fine, shifts smoothly, shifts into O/D, speedometer works fine, no ABS light, no Check Engine light...but the O/D light blinks "OFF" constantly. Not intermittent, but rhythmic. I have no code reader and getting it to one will be a trick. I just got it a couple months back. It has no title as yet (in the process), therefore no license and no insurance. The nearest town is 12 miles. I was told when I bought it that "it might have a transmission problem because the light blinks and at about 45 mph it shakes until you slow up for a while". It did indeed shake at 45, but it had 4 mismatched, completely shot tires. I put on a set of wheels and matched tires (25% tread) that I had lying around and the shaking disappeared. I'm thinking the two occurrences aren't related. I live on a highway, but have a gravel road next to my house also. Today I took it on about a 15 mile loop on the gravel (and one stretch of blacktop) that ended with a 3 mile straight stretch on the highway, running 65mph for a couple miles of it. I figured that was more than enough to get it good and warmed up. It shifted just fine throughout.
So...until I can come up with a way to get the codes read, has anyone had or heard of these very symptoms? After the shaking problems was solved, I'm getting kinda pumped about working on it.
edit...also, the oil looks ok. Not really a true red, but clear and not brown and no burnt smell whatsoever. I realize 213 is a ton of miles and I have no way of knowing the history of this particular transmission.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
if the check engine light isn't on (assuming it works) then it probably has a transmission code that wont show on a normal scanner. I had to go to AMMCO to have them scan it which revealed a bad pressure regulator in the trannys solenoid pack.

·
Super Moderator
26,031 Posts
yo T,
Had same issue with random blinking; Fuse #17 blew due to a harness short under steering column that affected the OD Cancel Light (it blinked randomly, no Trouble Codes or tranny malfunctions though.
Source: by miesk5 at FSB
96 Bronco Fuse Panel Diagram
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=53201

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "... Several different complaints concerning the overdrive cancel indicator may occur due to a faulty O/D cancel LED. At times the light may simply fail to light, flicker erratically, or glow very dim. Tapping the shift knob lightly may affect the operation of the LED, causing it to work temporarily. These complaints are usually due to a faulty O/D indicator LED. To replace the LED carefully pry the cap off the end of the shifter and pull the LED/switch out. Slide the new switch into position and snap the cap back on. Note: Don’t confuse the above conditions with a steady flashing pattern of the O/D cancel light. A steady rhythmic flashing pattern indicates a malfunction has been detected by the computer.; Part #F58Z-7G550-A..."
Source: by ATC-Distribution Group Inc. atcdg.com via web.archive.org

For Posterity;
Here is a TSB that deals with it; for a 92 though.. and may apply, becuse Ford does mention Fuse 17;... even tho year range is off...
1992 Ford Truck F 150 4WD Pickup V8-351 5.8L
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Technical Service Bulletins Customer Interest Electrical Systems - Multiple Malfunctions
Electrical Systems - Multiple Malfunctions
Article No. 92-22-5 10/21/92
LIGHT TRUCK: 1992 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES
ISSUE:
The transmission control switch wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown # 17 fuse. The following symptoms may be associated with this concern.
Early shifts
Loss of power
Poor acceleration
3-4 shift cycling
Transmission control light cycling ON/OFF or inoperative
Transmission control switch inoperative
Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS) electronics (dash lights on, etc.) inoperative
Loss of instrumentation (tach, fuel gauge, etc.)
Unable to read Self-Test codes (solid tone only)
ACTION:
Inspect the transmission control switch wiring for damage and repair or replace as necessary. Refer to the following procedure for service details.
1. Remove the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the removal procedure.
2. Examine the transmission control switch wiring for damage, Figure 1. (I don't have this Figure)
3. Repair or replace the wiring as necessary.
4. Install the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the installation procedure.
CAUTION:
DURING REASSEMBLY, ROUTE WIRING AWAY FROM ATTACHING SCREW SO AS NOT TO PINCH OR DAMAGE WIRE.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I'll check that fuse. If that's not it I'll wait until I have the paperwork in order and take it into town to get it checked out. It's not a pressing issue as this will be next spring's project anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I thought the Haynes manuals had a section in them for code identifis.....they do for '89' to '93' Dodge Ramchargers.

·
Super Moderator
26,031 Posts
I thought the Haynes manuals had a section in them for code identifis.....they do for '89' to '93' Dodge Ramchargers.
yo leatherneck,
They probably do; here is one by Ryan M (Fireguy50);
3 Digit Self-test Codes http://web.archive.org/web/20130816080011/http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=45

2 Digit Self-test Codes http://web.archive.org/web/20130816080000/http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=14

Ford went from two-digit to three-digit EEC IV codes in 1991 to service the increasing number of service codes required to support various government On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) regulations. The phase-in from two-digit to three-digit codes started in the 1991 model year and is largely complete except for some medium/heavy trucks that will retain two digit codes through the 1994 model year.

But, Ford had a habit of using previous model year parts at a time, especially in early model year builds.
Check Door Jamb Label on driver side door or B pillar for "DATE", such as in this pic in a 93

pic in a 93 5.8 & E4OD Source: by broncofocused (Super Bronco)

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you have an OBD II code reader (or can get access to one) the transmissions codes should show up.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
If you have an OBD II code reader (or can get access to one) the transmissions codes should show up.
if the check engine light doesn't come on, it will usually not detect a code with a normal scanner.

while ur unable to drive it, you might try and align the MLPS sensor and make sure its working. make sure the connectors are clean to it and the solenoid pack. also make sure all the wiring harness to the tranny is good

·
Super Moderator
26,031 Posts
yo T,

This is by Ford in 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)
The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module. The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing).
Sensor: Transmission Control Switch.
Symptoms: No overdrive cancel when switch is cycled.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: P1780, tested during Key On Engine Off (KOEO) On-Board Diagnostic only.
Actuator: Transmission Control Indicator Lamp.
Symptoms: Failed on — overdrive cancel mode always indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control circuit shorted. Failed off — overdrive cancel mode never indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control circuit shorted, also may be due to a bad fuse. Erratic operation (flashing) may be due to a wiring concern.

"The following pages provide a brief description of each of the sensors and actuators used with the E4OD transmission. The function of each of these components and the associated symptoms and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are also given.
E4OD Automatic Transmission Electronic Control System Component Locator

See and Read much more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts