Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It went 175,000 miles on what appeared to be the original filter:rockon , it definitly did it's part. But the circumstances sucked. Here's how it went: It had been slipping for a while and I knew it needed work. I had been driving it sparingly but was still able to get around if I had to. I got some extra cash so I decided it was time to get it fixed. I was going to drive it to the trans shop tuesday morning (today). But first I had to get some stuff squared away, had a flat front tire and a bad rear wheel cylinder. Monday morning I swapped the wheel cylinder and bled the brakes down. I planned on going late monday night for air (damn compressor broke). I have to go at night because the tranny slippage holds up traffic. So now it's 11:30, time to go, I throw in a can of fix-a-flat, light it up and go. I get to the gas station no problem, it's about 2 miles. Air up, get all the other tires to the right pressure, ready to go. Ok now it's drivable to the tranny shop. :chili:

Here's where things go downhill. I hadn't charged my cellphone, suddenly it dies:banghead . Right as I am looking down at it powering off, I feel the truck slowing. UhOh smoke... I give it some gas, nothing. I'm in the left lane, start coasting to the right, gonna try to turn onto a neighborhood road. Nope, dead in middle of the street. I look in the rearview, the lights ready to turn green, lots of cars built up. I go through the gears, no forward.... hmmm I got reverse. So yep, there I am, damn near midnight playing chicken in reverse goin the wrong way down the street..... I hear the horns..... I see the high beams flashing.... I gassed it and whipped a nasty turn into a pawn shop parking lot.:goodfinge

So now I'm parked. But the cell is dead, no problem theres a payphone across the street and I got a pocket full of quarters for air. So I go over to call the wife... no dice she's online.... busy signal:twak . All my phone numbers in my phone (dead). I really don't wanna leave the truck overnight, I can't get the back window up all the way. So I start calling information, trying to get hold of someone whos got a truck. Finally get a friends number, and she came up with her Rodeo. I get out the tow rope, hook it up, we take up the slack.... pop.... broken hook on the rope. I take this as an omen, we back it up get the window as far up as it'll go, take out the speaker box. And go home.

Finally got her up onto the flatbed at 10 am and over to the shop, hopefully by morning I'll hear just what it's gonna cost me. That turd's gonna live again though. :toothless

Ok, just thought I'd share, no refunds on the time you spent reading.:goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Damn...sounds pretty shitty. Glad it worked out and you can laugh at it now.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
im waitin for my C6 to go its been slippin for about six months. but it snot as bad as your i cant say i have ever held up traffic. but im a AAA gold +RV member. it may take a few hours but ill get there.
put a T-18 in that sucker this time

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
XLTbeast said:
im waitin for my C6 to go its been slippin for about six months. but it snot as bad as your i cant say i have ever held up traffic. but im a AAA gold +RV member. it may take a few hours but ill get there.
put a T-18 in that sucker this time
ya so am I...it's nice knowing that you can be towed up to 200 miles for free!:rockon

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XLT, I didn't hold up traffic, I charged at it. But ya it coulda been much worse I was close to home, and I got some good friends that don't mind getting up and dressed at midnight to pick me up. Hell ya I can laugh about it.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
SouthFloridaBronco85 said:
Ok now it's drivable to the tranny shop. :chili:

Tranny shop why don't you rebuilt it yourself and save the cash they are super easy to build i've done several now, and dale did his own if he haden't forgotten one seal it would've worked flawlessly:rockon I would say if you consider yourself mechanically inclined do it yourself the c-6 is a very simple slushbox:toothless

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MANNY said:
Tranny shop why don't you rebuilt it yourself and save the cash they are super easy to build i've done several now, and dale did his own if he haden't forgotten one seal it would've worked flawlessly:rockon I would say if you consider yourself mechanically inclined do it yourself the c-6 is a very simple slushbox:toothless
I would do it myself, I am confident that with a manual,this site, etc. to use as a resource I could get it done. But I have some limitations, first of which being no place to do the teardown and rebuilt, no garage, no shed, no clean environment. Secondly removal and reinstallation would be tough, as I would be working alone on a sloped asphalt driveway that is very unstable because it has sucked up enough fluids to make it into a big gooey mess. So until I get a real place to work on it I have to leave some of the bigger jobs to the pros and bend over for the bill. oh well

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Im glad Im not the only one with luck like that.... BTW, your trans is beyond toast, I hope you realize that...

Good luck, U need it!
Andrew

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
I would do it myself, I am confident that with a manual,this site, etc. to use as a resource I could get it done. But I have some limitations, first of which being no place to do the teardown and rebuilt, no garage, no shed, no clean environment. Secondly removal and reinstallation would be tough, as I would be working alone on a sloped asphalt driveway that is very unstable because it has sucked up enough fluids to make it into a big gooey mess. So until I get a real place to work on it I have to leave some of the bigger jobs to the pros and bend over for the bill. oh well

I understand that just wanted to make shure that a slush box didn't intimidate you greatly as it does some:rockon

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Manny I'm not scared to try anything, I've always had to fend for myself. Hayne's manual has been my friend! Everything I've ever done on any of my cars\trucks has been self taught. But sometimes you gotta let the pros handle it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the turd home, I lost a lot of weight (from my wallet). But hell it's runnin under its own power. But now the brakes (driver front I think) are locking up. Gonna look into that, it sat so long who knows. Any one wanna suggest where to start looking? I'm going to check and see if the caliper is releasing. The pedal is not coming back on its own.... perhaps the line collapsed.... Anyhoo I'm gonna go look at the basics, if anyone wants to chime in I would appreciate it.:beer

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just got the turd home, I lost a lot of weight (from my wallet).

we all want to hear how much so tell us!!!!:D :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
$1500 rebuilt, new converter, 10,000 mile warranty.........

..........on a $500 truck:brownbag
it always swings that way... i spent $1,200.00 in tires and wheels on a $1,800.00 dollar truck too:banghead

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well this is how I look at it, so far total investment including purchase of truck, $2400. Thats the truck with new 351 2 years ago, rebuilt tranny, new wheels, new tires, new carb, real good tune up, new stereo and some speakers. Once I finish fixing the brakes, I'm good to go. Then on to cosmetic stuff. So I don't feel so bad bout the cost of the trans.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
does anyone know how hard it is to rebuild an AOD

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:chili: SHE LIVES:chili:

Repalced a bad caliper, bled it down and took it out for gas and a shakedown.

After 4 months it goes and stops. :twotu:

Now, sometime int he next 2 weeks I get my "new" wheels and tires mounted. (courtesy BADBRONCO88, Thanks Ed:beer )

I'm havin a great day, even got a new job today...... hell ya I'm goin out to get a lottery ticket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts