Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have had trouble with the chisels some. i grind the head off of the rivet and then use the punch on the air hammer and itcomes right out.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
We had bad luck with them on Stan the Man's bronco. Maybe it wasnt sharp enough or had enough air or something.

They do like to make noise though.

We ground as much of the head off as we could, air chiseled the rest, then drilled a small hole in the middle and punched em out. A few needed to just be drilled out.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
I didn't have such great luck with one my self..but if ya wanna go through like butta, try one of these:

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I just cut a 'star' pattern into the head like an asterisk (*) with my angle grinder, then hit 'em with a hammer. POINK! and out they go. :thumbup

I tried an air chisel. They're all right for tearing through sheet metal, but for solid stuff I'd rather use my Milwaukee.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Do you chisel the head off of the rivet, or chisel on the rivet side of the frame?

·
Registered
500 Posts
i have had trouble with the chisels some. i grind the head off of the rivet and then use the punch on the air hammer and itcomes right out.
+1

Thats the way I've done it, and never had much problem with them.

mR

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i had a crappy chisel from harbor freight.. 9 bux plus like 8 attatchments... used a grinder to cut a slot in the head with cut off wheel then chiseled the sides inward with the cheapy air chisel... the head pops off then put the punch attatchment on and hit the rest of it through..

ive spent the money on good chisels and a nice impact hammer since then

dc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts