OMF
2,931 Posts
Any update on the cam Rick?

What caused it do you think?

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Not really sure what caused it Dave. Since this happened all has gone well for most part. Dealing with a few issues now that I will be updating on. One of those was the license plate lights crapped out on me. Did a little research and got some help from the site and fixed them with these.

Attachments

·
OMF
2,931 Posts
Good to see you're still at it Rick!
I finally met @Scoop this year in Moab, I still prowl the site now and then haha

Reactions: 379sinvb

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
If you guys recall when I first purchased this Bronco it had the stock manifolds on the T-meyer'd 408. I put a set of headers on it shortly after. Well here is a before and the not quite 5 years later wear and tear.

Yeah not what I'd expect them to look like. Oh and they developed a hole in the collector for the passenger side.

So, I was left with what do I do now. Well a warranty claim was not available because a few years back I put a FItech system on this Bronco and drilled a hole in the header. I decided to locate another header but didn't want to go with another long tube. Enter Sanderson shorty's. IF you've looked at them your'e like whoo! Yeah a bit pricey. At 200 more than the Hookers that rusted I had to break open the piggy bank on this one. Because I had to reroute the exhaust as well. Enough talking already. Here is what I got and did.

installed

New layout (with credit to @nedceifus) including the two into one pipe to run 3" pipe.

I went with an original flowmaster 40 on this one. I'll get a video of what it sounds like now.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,150 Posts
I got Sanderson shortys on my 460. They work great. No gasket & no leaks. Just the high temp sealer. I wrapped mine with thermal tape due to the first attempt at "header paint" being a failure and flaking off after a couple years.

Reactions: 379sinvb

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,079 Posts
Good to know. Guess I won't be saving up to waste that extra money.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,897 Posts
I had some Hedman ceramic coated headers that did something similar to that, but not quite as bad. Mine were mid length, so they probably didn't hang as low as yours probably did by the looks of them. I suppose had I hosed the underside of my truck every now and then they probably would have held up longer. I had no holes though, just flaky coating and rust. They were on the engine for about 17 years total, not sure when they started rusting.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,818 Posts
Maybe going off topic... Father has a set of BBK headers that also had the ceramic coating done. They are on a truck that has never seen mud, and the same thing happened. I agree with most in here that its not woth the extra. Get Stainless or deal with rust eventually, it seems. The best looking ones over time I have personally messed with are the Old I think Nickle? plated LNL headers that they no longer sell. The set I bought used for my 78, still look great, no rust what so ever, and they do see mud, salt, snow,

The Sanderson's are nice, every pair I have seen is very well made, I think you will be happy with them in the long term. I also like the shorty or mid-length setup on the bronco the best for routing, performance, and I like the sound of a single vs duals, personally, especially if its a larger diameter...

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
@Doosenberry & @CrazyBRONCOguy, I do believe the major problem or result of the rust was the exposure to the rain, road debris, sand, saltwater, snow/slush that was thrown at it over time. Hence why I went away from the long tube design and to the shorty's. I needed the performance that headers provide for this motor but didn't want it hanging down and exposed. I'll be watching to see how the coating responds.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
496 Posts
Not really sure what caused it Dave. Since this happened all has gone well for most part. Dealing with a few issues now that I will be updating on. One of those was the license plate lights crapped out on me. Did a little research and got some help from the site and fixed them with these.
turned out well, where can I get the caps you put on the lights?

221 - 239 of 239 Posts