Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

The Ford Baby Bronco spotted testing off-road

8K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  Chad Brinkley 
#1 ·
The Ford "Baby Bronco" was seen doing some off-road testing and it confirms that it will be an actual vehicle. It's expected to be Ford's response to the Jeep Renegade and Compass. My guess is that it's going to share some similarities with the Ford Escape but who knows at this point.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not saying this to bash on that bronco, but I have done more stuff off road then that with a 92 crown vic

#14 ·
well compared to the other small suvs I don't hate it so far. not the bronco im dying to see which is now going to be a 2021 model from what im hearing. still a decent small suv that competes with jeeps counter part.

#18 ·
Sorry I meant informally... it’s hard enough for the bronco to live up to the hype. This thing should be called something that doesn’t get boards like this posting pictures of it as evidence of what the bronco is going to look like. To me, the Vespa crowd board would be better!

#25 ·
So Motor Trend wrote this article that maps out what Ford's plans are for the Bronco and it's interesting to say the least. They also touch on what they want to do with the Mustang and Ranger.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-creating-families-around-mustang-bronco/

Welcome Back, Bronco

The other big name to leverage: Bronco. The return of the rugged SUV (rendered below) has been generating buzz for a couple years even though it does not go on sale until next year and has not yet been shown.

The design has been finalized. The Bronco, which shares underpinnings with the Ford Ranger midsize pickup, will be offered with a choice of two or four doors, and rear- or all-wheel drive. Like the Jeep Wrangler, the doors and roof are removable and can be cleverly stashed in the cargo hold. The side mirrors are attached to the windshield frame so they stay in place when the doors are removed. There will be a spare tire in the back and giant letters spelling Bronco across the front.

In terms of powertrains, educated guesses include the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and perhaps the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 as the top-spec engine. Ford's 10-speed automatic transmission is expected, and enthusiasts would love the option of a seven-speed manual. There will also be a Bronco hybrid.

Baby Bronco

To broaden the Bronco family, there is a front- and all-wheel-drive compact crossover coming that shares some of Bronco's rugged good looks and is also due by 2020. Like the Escape, it is car-based, but while the Escape was designed to be an urban utility vehicle, the "baby Bronco" will have some off-road chops with the necessary approach, departure, and breakover angles, as well as Terrain Management. It will also have hybrid options.

The smaller crossover (rendered above) won't be a shrunken Bronco, but the unibody crossover will share some design cues. And it could have Bronco as part of its name: Think Rogue and Rogue Sport, and Discovery and Discovery Sport.

#33 ·
Some reported observations of the "baby Bronco" suspension setup for anyone curious:

• fully-independent suspension front and rear
  • MacPherson struts
  • multi-link or double-wishbone suspension
Basically very similar to what the new Escape or any similar SUV from Ford will have, much like the rest of it (engine, drivetrain, etc.)
The end result should be a more rugged version of the new Escape.

#35 ·
That I can see. With it in mind, imagining it without the bulk... Ford might have a shot at attracting the Jeep Renegade crowd.

Just learned they trademarked "Bronco Sport," which is what this model might be called or added in addition to the mild off-road trim it should come in.

Although I have zero interest in the smaller version, while there's no info on the bigger Bronco, its all we have. Done right, the bigger Bronco might be my next buy.

____________________​

*From Motor1 and Ford Authority*
Ford Bronco news is afoot this morning. A fresh report from Ford Authority claims to have inside information on the name for the small Escape-based SUV currently known as the “baby Bronco.” That’s certainly an unflattering (and totally unofficial) title, but the report cites anonymous sources as saying it will actually be called the Bronco Sport. Honestly, we hope the rumors are false because that name isn’t much better, especially for something t
Code:
hat could be a cool little SUV. We shot a message to Ford asking about potential names, though with the clandestine nature of the subject, the automaker had no comment.

The information allegedly comes from unidentified individuals that have knowledge on the automaker’s product plan. No further context is offered, nor do the sources explain why the Sport moniker was chosen over others. And there are certainly other names in the mixing bowl, with Adventurer perhaps being the most noteworthy. In fact, the Ford Authority report further states the small SUV was originally named Bronco Adventurer before the apparent switch to Bronco Sport. Other potential names in the sea of Ford trademarks include Scout, Outer Banks, and Big Bend, with the last two having just been filed in late July. And yes, Bronco Sport is also trademarked, so it could well happen.

The information allegedly comes from unidentified individuals that have knowledge on the automaker’s product plan. No further context is offered, nor do the sources explain why the Sport moniker was chosen over others. And there are certainly other names in the mixing bowl, with Adventurer perhaps being the most noteworthy. In fact, the Ford Authority report further states the small SUV was originally named Bronco Adventurer before the apparent switch to Bronco Sport. Other potential names in the sea of Ford trademarks include Scout, Outer Banks, and Big Bend, with the last two having just been filed in late July. And yes, Bronco Sport is also trademarked, so it could well happen.

#36 ·
God thats ugly. I think Ford messed up by discontinuing the Bronco and Ranger lines and now they're playing catch up by putting out some ugly designs.

#39 ·
The Fast Lane Car posted this video about the new Ford Escape and it definitely looks like the "baby bronco" will share the same platform as the Escape.

They spoke with a rep from Ford who said a "more off-road variant" will be coming using the same architecture as the Escape. When asked, the rep referred to it as the "little buckaroo," which could only mean the "baby bronco."

Here's hoping it can actually be better at off-roading than the Escape, but that's most likely just hype.

#44 ·
Couldn't agree more... designs are just getting more and more bland as time goes on now. I just don't think there's too much any OEM is able to do differently when there are so many stringent safety and other requirements that it needs to meet before it hits the road. It's the same shit with how everything is getting touchscreens anymore because CAFE mandates backup cameras on vehicles... shit sucks but not much we can do but hope they work as good as they can with all the damn specs to meet. :shrug

#46 ·
Couldn't agree more @BroncMom the safety features just lead to more distracted driving in my opinion. Who's going to have time for texting and driving when you have to shift gears or barrel out into the street or parking lot if you don't have a rear view camera and actually need to look where you're going instead of assuming you can see everything from that little camera.

As far as body styling a lot of it is really dictated by the crash requirements for crumple zones and the aero styling to meet CAFE... there's definitely room to work within them but I highly doubt were ever going to be able to enjoy the big brutal styling of the 1st gen full size ever again. Just look at how the wrangler has been changing with it getting more curves, shallow windshield and general softening of the style.

#47 ·
Hey @deathside23 the CAFE standards mostly apply to cars tho, they have a much stricter standard then trucks n SUVs... I think ridiculous expectations tho under the current laws, passenger cars are required to reach 54.5 miles per gallon by 2026... I don't see that happening unless they're going to be made of fiberglass which would certainly make them less safe... But... Just to bust ur chops a lil... Using the Wrangler as a example of never getting back to the 1st gen full size is kind of a poor example, but I get where u were going with that... :thumbup we are definitely not going to see a revival of the flying brick generation... Unfortunately :frown2:

#52 ·
@BroncMom haha I'm happy you get where I was going with that wrangler comparison... only thing I could think of in production still that used to be a box on wheels. As for the CAFE standards I was under the impression that in addition to each class having it own requirements that each make also had to hit certain fleet average requirements as well. But I know things have been getting more lax with the changes over the past couple years so I might be working on old info :shrug

#53 ·
Hey @deathside23 , initially it may have been mileage by class, until the Obama administration formulated the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which “raised the fuel economy standards of America’s cars, light trucks, and SUVs to a combined average of at least 35 miles per gallon by 2020". The Trump administration is also trying to bring down mileage expectations and limitations by implementing different policies... The link below is current as of 2/2019.

www.cbtnews.com/update-on-the-corporate-average-fuel-economy-cafe-standards/

Not to mention, because of the Trump administration the whole CAFE standard is currently in play especially since some of the restrictions were implemented thru Obama's clean air act, and recently the Trump administration gutted a lot of that rolling back several Industry limiting regulations. "NHTSA establishes CAFE standards under the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA) of 1975, as amended by the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) of 2007, while EPA establishes GHG emissions standards under the Clean Air Act."
https://www.transportation.gov/mission/sustainability/corporate-average-fuel-economy-cafe-standards.

Probably more info then ya wanted :histerica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.