Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a MIG welder over the weekend, kind of a combined Christmas, Birthday, promotion present to myself, plus I need a welder to fix my truck, at least that's what I told my wife. It's a Lincoln 180HD that you can use gas with it. Requires 220VAC, double phase, not a big deal, I just need to do some re-wiring for the outlet box. The manual calls for a 40 AMP circuit breaker, Home Depot doesn't carry a 40 AMP duel phase circuit breaker. No problem with the internet these days, I'll just go on line. I found a 40 AMP circuit breaker - to the tune of $130.00 - A little high, but I want to wire this right.

Here's the kicker - I also found out that my circuit breaker box is well, basically junk. It seems the company (Federal-Pacific) fudged the UL test (you know them, they test everything to make sure it works and you're safe) on the circuit breakers and there's a risk of fire with my circuit breakers. This only makes sense now that I think about it, as when I bought the house, I found some burnt contacts in the box and I've had issues with a couple of the circuit breakers that I had to replace.

So, now I get to replace the circuit breaker box first, before I can hook up my welder.

The fun never ends when you own a house.

Here's the link that started my fun:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Federal Pacific is junk. Put a Square-D or Cutler Hammer panel in. You will not get any trouble from them and the breakers are ALOT cheaper than FP crap. I personally like the Square-D Type QO panels the best. The Square-D Homeline panels are ok but are not built as well as the Type QO. The Cutler Hammer panel with the brown handle breakers is as good as the Square-D Type QO panels. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts