Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Trying to finish it
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a used 302 from a 90 bronco 4wd, with automatic tranny. I plan on rebuilding it completely or as close as i can to complete. But I need some help with the compression ratios and all the technical numbers. I plan on putting these in it:
cylinder heads
pistons/ with rings
camshaft/ with lifters
crankshaft
EFI Manifold
oil pan/ pump
wiring (maybe)

But i need help with the numbers i'm lost. I own a 4 speed with a over drive manual and i want a lot of power in the first 3 gears. But I don't want to go to slow. The other engine will be sold a month after the install (300).

If anyone has any suggestions with retailers or brands that have kits, let me know. good or bad.

Thanks
kel

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently installed a 302 inplace of a 300 (both carbarated) and am alittle unhappy. the 302 gets terribal milage and has maybe half the torque of the 300;it does however have a higher top end but who cares, it takes twice as long to get there. I too have the 4sd od out of an 89. granted the 302 is a stock rebuild but, if i had it to do over again I would build the 300 it is alittle more expensive but will be better on gas and twice the torque; that is my opinion any how. adios

·
Trying to finish it
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't care about gas mileage, it will be used for wilderness and farm use. I really don't use first gear in my truck because it is to low, 2nd and 3rd are my most used gears. Mostly second gear. all the 351's round here are about a grand the 302's bout 500$. This is going to be a somewhat budget build for a little while due to bills.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,387 Posts
the 302 has more torque than the 300. just not in lower rpm's

·
Registered
897 Posts
IMHO there is a big drivabliity diference between a FI, and a carbed 5.0. You can build a nice strong 5.0. Ya, a 5.8, and the 300 would be better down low, but a little gearing will go a LONG way! I just build a modded 5.0 for my 95, and I am more then happy with the power. Granted most of my use is higher speeds, so it being a little soft under 1500 is no real big deal.Tough I bet if I had the numbers, I bet the new motor is still stronger then stock down low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts