Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the top need to be on and connected through the third brake light for the rear window to operate for some reason? I’ve got a new motor, new switch so if it’s not something with the top being connected then there’s a wire cut or ground messed up somewhere. Thanks guys in advanced. Y’all always have the answers and I appreciate it. Typically I can get it on my own, but as y’all know these rear windows are a pain.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
The top doesn't have to be on.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read this whole treatise on the Bronco tailgate. Then you'll know more than 99% of the folks in this forum about the Bronco tailgate, the data is applicable to all the FSBs, even though the evil Steve83 Supermotors says 1983, AND you will no longer be a noob regarding the tailgate:
1983 Ford Bronco Tailgate Tech pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
If you don’t know off the top of your head, no worries. I’ll figure it out later today when I go out to do more testing. I’ve got power in up position on dash switch, but no movement. No power in down position(on dash switch). I’m thinking I may need to rewire the harness. Just thought I’d ask in case anyone new off the top of their head.

·
Registered
372 Posts
After you dig into the wiring and get a good understanding of what is going on, you will realize that the tailgate wiring is it's own harness and switches that have two different battery positive sources and a single battery negative (ground) source. I have a tech doc that tries to explain the normal operation that might be of some help. All of the switches are used in the circuit when operating the windows motor.

Reactions: Mpjjharris99

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,261 Posts
The connector from the motor to the harness is fairly notorious for being problematic over time.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,261 Posts
There's a lot of neglected maintenance in that tailgate. You should try to attend to it all while you're in there and save yourself the inevitable headache down the road.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's a lot of neglected maintenance in that tailgate. You should try to attend to it all while you're in there and save yourself the inevitable headache down the road.
Quoted for truth. If nothing else, at least clean and lubricate the mechanism before you close it up.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
silicone spray works great on the rubber parts to help the window glide thru and teflon spray works great on the felt covered rubber parts. I find if you apply it every couple of days for a week it will work great for a year or two, then you need to re-apply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts