Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts

We might have found our first confirmation that the new Bronco will at least come with a four cylinder engine. Canadian car journalist Matthew "Dude Drives Cars” Guy, posted these photos on Twitter at a local parts store. Based on the numbers it looks like the Bronco will use the same 2.3 liter engine as the Ranger. Though I'm not sure what the "140" means. Does anyone have an idea what that could be for?

https://twitter.com/DudeDrivesCars/status/1142520269078257664

·
Ford Hoarder
6,214 Posts
The 2.3 motor is a good little mill. Especially with the factory warranty retaining Ford motorsport re-flash, at least it was in the Mustang I had with it.
I am perfectly fine with the new Bronco having that as the engine.

·
Super Moderator
23,166 Posts
Yo,
Thought this was for a 2020 rear main leak:2cent

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a 2008 focus with a 2.0 Duratek. I bought the car for the motor. So far I have 178,000 miles and absolutely no issues. I'm still on the factory clutch. On my Focus forum there is a guy with 2008 that just turned 300,000 on his.

I will drive a little motor as long as it has a manual transmission option.

There is going to be a ton of plastic on this Bronco if they are using a 2.3L engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some more insight I found on the upcoming Bronco which might help to make sense of the engine seen here. Personally I hope its just a base engine with higher displacement versions offered later.

Ford intends the new Bronco to be capable of serious off-roading with parts that allegedly include solid front and rear axles and removable doors. An available Air Roof would reportedly offer a variety of lift-off panels so that occupants could enjoy open-air motoring. In addition to the 10-speed automatic, rumors suggest the possibility of a seven-speed manual being a transmission option.

The Bronco also reportedly gets a hybrid powerplant later in the model run. There are no details about the electrified option yet or when this variant might arrive. This model would likely be a direct competitor against the Jeep Wrangler hybrid that arrives for the 2020 model year.

Current info suggests the revived Bronco debuts around the middle of 2020, and production allegedly starts in January 2021. Ford's factory in Wayne, Michigan, is handling the SUV's assembly.
quote from https://www.motor1.com/news/356538/ford-bronco-engine-leak/

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some more insight I found on the upcoming Bronco which might help to make sense of the engine seen here. Personally I hope its just a base engine with higher displacement versions offered later.

quote from https://www.motor1.com/news/356538/ford-bronco-engine-leak/
Having a manual transmission is going to be key for Ford to ensure the Bronco does well. There will probably be at least a V-6 engine option, but I'm hoping Ford fits in a V-8 somehow.

If they do make a hybrid version it's going to be very interesting to see it compete against the Wrangler Hybrid.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As long as they dont put the wrong head gasket on like they did with the RS.

2.3 Ecoboost turbo? 300+ HP bone stock. Add and exhaust, a tune and a better intercooler and it's 400HP without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another influential factor to seeing a manual is the greater need for a manual in markets outside of the U.S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
First post here and i'm not happy with what i'm hearing and seeing about the new Bronco.

Why?... look at the 'new' (recycled) Ranger. It's not what we asked for.
A deeper dive at this so called leak is the same 2.3 is used in the RANGER, EXPLORER and MUSTANG.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Having a manual transmission is going to be key for Ford to ensure the Bronco does well. There will probably be at least a V-6 engine option, but I'm hoping Ford fits in a V-8 somehow.

If they do make a hybrid version it's going to be very interesting to see it compete against the Wrangler Hybrid.
would hope they would offer a V6 eco-boost. is a diesel too much to ask for?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it wasn't for hybrid powertrains being in development, I bet Ford would have done better with EB engines. Hybrids are the future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it wasn't for hybrid powertrains being in development, I bet Ford would have done better with EB engines. Hybrids are the future.
I think it's part hybrid and part v8 traditionalism. Look at the 3.5EB better power and economy than the 5.0 or the 6.2 but those were the 'standards' in the f150 and raptor for how long after the 3.5 came out? People don't tend to like change in the truck world and as great as the EB engines are that means there's a ton of people who will never be swayed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2.3 Ecoboost turbo? 300+ HP bone stock. Add and exhaust, a tune and a better intercooler and it's 400HP without breaking a sweat.
It's crazy how technology has allowed manufacturers to get crazy horsepower numbers out of small packages these days.

In my early days, if you had a car with close to 500hp, you were king.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It should come as no surprise the new Bronco is getting an ecoboost motor. Ford would shove those things in coffee makers if they could make a profit off of it.

Still the new Bronco won't even have my attention until they put a Coyote in it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts