Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got the letter from the University of Maryland today and I got accepted to the college of engineering :pickle: I was also invited to be in the College Park Scholars Program...not too sure what that is yet, but it sounds pretty good. Well I just had to share the good news somewhere...I'm pretty happy :rockon

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
Sweet! I still remember the day I got my letter from widener. What engineerin you thinkin about?

Be glad to help ya with any questions you have.

Adrianspeeder

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
I'm not trying to kill you excitement, but think LONG and hard about an engineering major. I started out in electrical engineering, but changed majors after a year. Any engineering is EXTREMELY Math and science intensive, most of your college career will be spent in those classes, which to me are really boring, because its all theory based calculation stuff, that doesn't seem to relate directly to what you want to do. Your actual engineering classes and electives are pretty interesting thou. Also the homework load is insane, hours and hours and hours on end, every night just about it(if you want to pull an A or B).

Of the group of about 15 engineering majors i hung out with 5 stayed with it after the first year, another quit after the 3rd semester. Its tuff stuff.

Now the up side...with an engineering degree you can do whatever you want really, and the pay scale is friggin sweet.

I ended up going from electrical engineering to information systems, which i like a lot better, more hands on work.

Just something to ponder. If your dedicated, engineering is great. I honestly, and obviously wasn't dedicated enough.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably going to go with mechanical, but electrical is my second choice. How are you handling all the math? I hear different stories, some people saying its so hard and others saying it shouldn't be a problem so I don't know what to think about that. I've always been pretty solid in math so it doesn't worry me too much though. I can't wait to do the SAE program they have, buildin those sweet race cars to compete.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
freebird17909 said:
I'm probably going to go with mechanical, but electrical is my second choice. How are you handling all the math? I hear different stories, some people saying its so hard and others saying it shouldn't be a problem so I don't know what to think about that. I've always been pretty solid in math so it doesn't worry me too much though. I can't wait to do the SAE program they have, buildin those sweet race cars to compete.
mechanical is prob. the best to go into in my opinion, but still hard. I dropped engineering basicaly because i couldn't pass calculus I and intro to chemistry. I was always in advanced math classes in highschool, but college level is a whole different world. Its not gonna be a walk in the park, but its do-able of course. My main problem was i didn't apply myself enough. I was use to hardley ever studying in highschool and makin A's on tests. That doesn't cut it in college. To get an A in chem the professor suggested studying at least 2-3 hours 5 days a week, and extra for tests, plus the 3 45 min lectures, and 1 hour study class each week.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha finally someone who didnt sugar-coat it. I think that will be my problem. I haven't done nearly as much work as I should have in high school, yet I still had a 3.9 gpa or whatever, so that will be a HUGE shock when I get to college and actually have to work hard to succeed. We'll see. I think if I tell myself enough times, that if I work hard for theseyears, the years after will be awesome because of it. Where are you in college magnum?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
I started at UNC Charlotte in engineering, pretty good engineering school in the state, after i switch majors, i started at a local community college where im at now.

I had a 4.3 when i graduated highschool. In college i kind of fell apart. I thought it would be a breeze. I went to class, but stayed out way too late prettymuch every night, and just goofed off mostly. Me and my roommates(all the same major) would try to sit down and study, but none of it really ever sank in cause non of us understood a thing from the lectures.

You seriously have to study HARD to make good grades. you can slip by with just a little studyin everynight, but your gpa will suck.

One option i considered was goin to a less intensive engineering tech program which is more hands on, less theory. I prob. should have tried that out

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
Yeah the math is hard. Calc 3 is the worst, but passing it is what gets the "whoooo" factor when you say your an engineerin major. I'll put up some cool pics of the stuff I get to play with now in the cool labs and classes after your 4th semester.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts