Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello all.

This is now the “official” post for the 03/17-19/06 AZ Crew Spring Break Camp out/Trail run.

The event will take place in the Florence Junction area.

The plan is to camp Friday, Saturday and some may camp Sunday night. We’ll start wheelin’ on Saturday. Base camp will be set up about 3pm on Friday about ½ a mile down the road that leads to Box Canyon.

For those of you that are coming in from out of town Dustin will meet ya’ll at the Flying J truck stop on I-10 at 8:00pm and then lead you to our camp site from there. If you are local or are coming in earlier and don’t know how to get to the area PM me and we’ll make some other arrangements to get you guided out to our spot.

The wheelin’ plan:
Saturday
  • Upper and Lower Woodpecker (trail boss – Scott), start time 10am
Sunday
  • 1/2 ton run Martinez Canyon/TBD (trail boss – TBD on site), start time TBD
  • 1 ton run - Hi Way To Hell (trail boss - Scott) - start time 10am

About the trails:
Upper Woodpecker
3 on a scale of 1-5
It’s full of medium to large rocks and several off camber sections that will lean your rig toward a jagged rock wall. The Fire Hole obstacle is on this trail. There is a bypass for it. There are a couple of tight squeezes as well. Your rig will get some pin striping from branches.
*recommended minimal rig set up for an FSB- 35” tires, 4” lift, rock sliders, full size spare, a locker isn’t required but you will wish you had one on 50% of the trail

Lower Woodpecker
4.5 on a scale of 1-5
1 mile, 6 obstacles, no bypasses. The trail is large rock obstacles and water falls. Expect body damage and broken drive train parts. Those not wanting to run the trail can park and watch.
*recommended minimal rig set up for an FSB- 35’s but 37’s or larger would be better, lockers front and rear, sliders, spare axle shafts and drive shafts recommended…you know what your rig eats

Martinez Canyon
2-2.5 on a scale of 1-5
The trail consists of medium to large rocks and a few off camber sections. The cabin and mill are on this trail. Your rig will get some pin striping from branches.
*recommended minimal rig set up for an FSB- 33” tires, 4” lift, rock sliders, full size spare

Hi Way To Hell
4.5-5 on a scale of 1-5
Everything nasty. The trail is full rock obstacles that are tight squeezes and off camber.
*recommended minimal rig set up for an FSB- 37’s but larger would be better, lockers front and rear, sliders, skid plates, spare axle shafts, drive shafts and steering links recommended.

If you want to come out and camp but don’t feel comfortable on a level 3 or better trail you are still more then welcome. There are lots of other trails to explore. The Box Canyon trail itself is beautiful with a few obstacles that can challenge a stock rig but are very do-able.

Plan to bring enough food and water for every one in your vehicle and all of your own camping supplies.

I will bring some fire wood but if possible please bring some as well. There’s nothing worse then running out of fire wood.

*Remember…you are responsible for yourself, your rig and those traveling in your rig. So come prepared.

The closest fuel and grocery store is about 15 miles away in Gold Canyon, West of the turn off to Box Canyon.

Here’s the address of the Flying J:
I-10 exit 137
Actual mailing address is:
6700 West Latham
Phoenix, AZ 85043
(623)936-1118

If you want to do a Map Quest from your area to the Phoenix metro area this map should help.

Here’s a map of the general area of the turn off to the Box Canyon trail head. The red circle just East of Flounce Junction is the general area of the turn off.

This book has a guide to the Box Canyon trail as well as many other trails that lead off of it.

Here are some pic’s of the area:

Here are some video’s of past trail rides in the area:
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/217499//Florance_low-rez.wmv
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/217827//Journey_10meg.wmv
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/179155//Box%20Canyon%20in%20the%20rain.wmv
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/179155//Box%20Canyon%20in%20the%20rain.wmv

Please PM me if you need anything related to this trip.

***Please post your actual name to confirm that you are going and I’ll add you it to the confirmed list.***

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Confirmations:

Scott (dogonmut) - wheelin' rig/tow rig & trailer/space for 1 tent/0 - open seats
Bud (ALLAXCS) - rig set up TBD/space for 1 tent/? - open seats
Dustin (Dustin) - wheelin' rig/sleeping in rig/? - open seats
Clint (84x4bronco) - wheelin' rig/sleeping in rig/0 - open seats
Jaed (94 _chickentaco) - wheelin' rig/space for 1 tent/0 - open seats
Rjonn (Slide427) - wheelin' rig/sleeping needs ?/? - open seats
Bill (yjzonie) - wheelin' rig/tow rig with quads/tent space
Dammon (plug ugly) - wheelin' rig/tow rig & trailer/sleeping in tow rig/? - open seats
Andy (Andy351) - wheelin' rig/tow rig & trailer/space for 1 tent/2 - open rear seats
Bill (chvyboat) - wheelin' rig/tow rig & trailer/sleeping needs ?/? - open seats
Jeff (Jeffh555) - wheelin' rig/space for 2 tents/0 - open seats
Tucker (TallGuy) plus 3 other rigs (Paul & Jared)- 4 wheelin' rigs/2 tow rigs/space for 2 tents & 1 camper trailer/1 - open seat

Maybe's:
Don (jobes) - wheelin' rig/tow rig & trailer/sleeping on trailer/0 - open seats
Mark (welndmn) - wheelin rig/tow rig & trailer/sleeping needs ?/0 - open seats
Chris (Chris85XLT) - wheelin' rig/space for 1 tent/0 - open seats

The CB channel will be 10.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plug ugly said:
Bill and I were commenting on your trail ratings. Are these trails gonna be easy for those with doublers and 40's, are they tough enuf for you and those built simlarily? Aside froma few obstacles Ive seen, how are the rest of the trails? Id plan on skipping the 2.5 trail, so is there anything else around that is harder/more fun? Just want to make sure the drive is worth the wheeling.
Upper Woodpecker is a walk in the park but you will enjoy Lower Woodpecker.

I was thinking of running a trail called Hi Way to Hell on the 2nd day and let the non 1 tons do the 2.5 trails.

I haven't run Hi Way to Hell because I haven't found anyone to run it with. I have never heard of a full size running it so I want to try it. Bud made me a pinky sware that he'd run it with me. I'm trying to line up some buddies that have run it to lead.

Here's a pic of the sign at the enterance. It's a tradition the weld your broken parts to the sign or leave them at the base of the sign...and there's a shit load of busted parts laying there.

Sounding better for day 2?

It will be worth your trip. I'll see to that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
count me in. the wife and son are also coming. so i'll be bring'n the quads (atv's) too. :twotu:

Bill

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
unless something major happens with me and my room mate we are both in as well as at least one other guy. its hard getting commitments from college people this early but i know i will be there, i'm not gonna pass this one up.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
right on Im liking the sound of this. I think this is going to turn into one baddass run. for you guys making the drive from CA dont worry about it being "worth it" We will make sure you bash the piss out of your rigs to your hearts content. Arizona rocks can be brutal! This is a really good area for the mild to wild rigs, lots of stuff to see and explore there, besides of course scotty. :goodfinge

Sounds good to me. I was just concerned about "trail riding" vs. "wheeling". Is dustin gonna be ok with getting some dents?
All I have to say is BRING IT! I dont care about dents anymore. I dont think I will do hwy to hell so I will need a seat for a ride along. only reason being is I am only still on 1/2 ton gear and like scott said we have never done it or even head of fullsizes making it. but I will do everything else out there.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
ooooooh. This sounds really fun. I can't make this one, though. Do this again before Summer and I'll come out. I've been seriously wanting to come out to AZ and wheel for a while, now. 3/17 is too close to TDS, though. I can only get away with one big camping trip a month, and I'll be way broke after that run.

·
0 Posts
I was reading the latest Bronco Driver when i noticed the Arizona Classic bronco guys have a "stampede" out at florence junction on this same weekend.

It shall be a bronco orgy out there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm in as long as the tires hold :thumbup
I know a few that have tried highway to hell in full size rigs none made it through, so that could be fun to watch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
dogonmut said:
I haven't run Hi Way to Hell because I haven't found anyone to run it with. I have never heard of a full size running it so I want to try it. Bud made me a pinky sware that he'd run it with me. I'm trying to line up some buddies that have run it to lead.
I got a buddy that's run it in his big Blazer. Tore him up a little though... :thumbup I told him that he has to take me out there after I get some more things done.

Here's one of his pics

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I can't make the run but if any of ya'll need firewood I can hook you up.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
84x4bronco said:
You guys are going to come back with shit in all of your pants. it'll be great. i call dibs in someone's ride now!
I already did that:twak

I might have to be an official spotter for that trail

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
1 - 20 of 273 Posts