Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think this an awesome idea, and with some refinement could definitely be a cool item.

My suggestion is, it looks like this is on the door side of the seat. I jumped in my bronco to go somewhere today and attempted to reach the floor with the door closed. My meatstick of an arm couldn't squeeze in between the seat and the door. So in order to use this properly, i'd have to open the door in order to shift the transfer case.

There are times i am going relatively slow, and this wouldn't be a bad thing. There are also times when i am on the highway, in snow, doing about 50, and opening the door just isn't an option.

Just a suggestion though, i think it's a really good idea and with some refinement, could be a killer item

Thanx B/Rob, and I know exactly what you're talking about. The S-2 will have to come with an advisory stating it should only be used after coming to a complete stop. I mean I get get my half meat-stick of an arm in there but since I gotta get outside to lock the hubs anyways, it doesn't bug me. Which is what I had in mind in the first place. Again, I know it doesn't solve every problem or issue with the electric shift motors but I think it's going to be a very good option for those who are tired of their shift motors (or the zillion other components of the SOTF system itself) but who don't want to spend the time and money on a t-case swap. When I get this thing completley dialed in the way I want it I think it'll be a pretty darn good alternative solution---especially if I can get the cost down. Cuz right now the S-2 proto that you're looking at has almost $130.00 in parts it alone. Believe it or not......:toothless

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
since the S2 is on cables there is really no reason not to put it in the traditional spot in the center hump
you can even use the original manual shifter mounting points as all rigs come with it
plus the fact that the bronco already has a shifter hole with a block off plate screwed to it

this would solve the seat and door clearence enabling the traditional shift on the fly as needed
the front tire would have to work really hard to throw junk at it then
shifting would be more natural as most manual shifts are on the center hump anyways

hell you could make it dual mount if you wanted
traditional to the side of transmission and have shift come through the floor
or floor mount drill round hole for cables and screw it to the floor like the old automatic transmission hurst floor shifters and throw a plastic cover over it

the customer then can decide which would be best or easiest to do in their bronco

what you have is a good idea as you said needs refinement is all
but there is no sense in reinventing the wheel either
I personally think moving it to the traditional spot would solve half the drawbacks of the s2

the cost is not really a issue until you get to crazy with it
I am not sure what a typical electric to manual swap costs but as long as you stay under the average cost of the swap it will sell as long as it well designed and looks like it will hold up

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Hmmm, maybe so. But they'd have to be a lot dumber than our own 17 year old daughter who can get the S-1 into 4wd in less than 30 seconds by herself. Even with her expensive nails...............:smokin:
Assuming they know about it and would even think of looking under the truck for a knob.....

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Assuming they know about it and would even think of looking under the truck for a knob.....
put a sticker in the middle of it saying oil then they will think it is a oil plug it for sure would never get turned then :histerica

·
Super Moderator
23,936 Posts
Nice job Ricky! and I see you set-it up with a "detent" to keep it in selected range.
GL!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
if i still had my bko I'd probably get the S1, easier to reach under there and turn a knob than reaching under there with a hammer and wackin the crap outta the motor :thumbup

·
Registered
213 Posts
i have no experience with the elec shift cases but heres what i was thinking for the s2. how hard is it to turn the shaft? do a dual wrapped end on it similar to a throttlebody bracket that the cable wraps on. 2 cables, one wrapped in each direction. something similar to a bicycle brake cable only heavier. the cables would be encased and you would be able to encase the bracket around the shaft as well so nothing could get in. inside the cab you could have a bracket with 2 knobs and mount it anywere such as floor, underdash, etc. pull one way to go from 2hi all the way to 4l and vice versa. it'll keep everything encapsulated and i think would be a more versatile kit cause there is numerous mounting options inside the cab.

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Good job ricky, first the chicken and now this :thumbup. I hope everyone remembers that innovation and fabrication has to start somewhere. I would be interested in a Shiftster 1.5 though, did you ever think about makin a ripcord for the Gen 1. Something along the lines of dual cords to engage/disengage the mechanism, while still being able to use it manually if the actuation devices were to fail, just food for thought.
i have no experience with the elec shift cases but heres what i was thinking for the s2. how hard is it to turn the shaft? do a dual wrapped end on it similar to a throttlebody bracket that the cable wraps on. 2 cables, one wrapped in each direction. something similar to a bicycle brake cable only heavier. the cables would be encased and you would be able to encase the bracket around the shaft as well so nothing could get in. inside the cab you could have a bracket with 2 knobs and mount it anywere such as floor, underdash, etc. pull one way to go from 2hi all the way to 4l and vice versa. it'll keep everything encapsulated and i think would be a more versatile kit cause there is numerous mounting options inside the cab.
Thank you for alliterating :thumbup

·
a.k.a.: BigDumbFord
1,048 Posts
First time i've seen this thread. I currently have a 8 or 9mm (IIRC) 1/4 socket shoved on the shaft, and use a little ratchet with ext. to shift it... sucks ass.

I would love to see some of the ideas on here come to fruition, because be sure that I would buy one. As others have stated though, durability and reliability would be a must.

Good job, thread subscribed.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,875 Posts
Info on the S2?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,875 Posts
Still working on it Andrew-----though there's a guy in Canada who came up with something very similar to what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately, he's asking $300.00 for them---and he won't budge........
I love my S1, but the S2 sound's better then a T-Case swap, and would enable me to keep the S1 as a spare. :p

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,640 Posts
Looks like his site is gone. A quick search looks like he's had some more recent stuff on facebook. I heard he had sold to a couple of Bronco vendors, but don't know if that's correct or which ones if it is.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Last I heard some time ago he sold the "shifters" to Bronco Grave Yard, we met in person a number of years ago and hung out for a while where he drove me getting to and from the engine builder when I had the melt down with the new engine back in 2008.....I help him fix his upper ignition actuator and drove him around to get a new starter. Then he took a road trip in a Bronco he got for his daughter and he called me on the trip then just dropped off the face of the earth and haven't talked or seen him since. I do see his wife at the hospital I go to but haven't been there for a while, just got tired of going there all the time....etc. etc. and they're jerking me around about getting hip replacement surgery so I decided to take a break and to hell with them.....lol lol......:histerica

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Man of endless projects
8,917 Posts
as Kabong said, he did reappear for awhile but only on facebook. started selling them again and turned into another clusterbuck. took months for a few people to receive theres, most didnt get theres. never responded to most people. looks like his page has been deleted so i guess he went off the grid again.

you would think that at some point somebody else would start making them and selling them with a slightly different name. still some market out there. and a cable operated one would be highly sought after

41 - 60 of 62 Posts