Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

661 - 680 of 714 Posts

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
Got to the idle jet. It was clean, but I don't know about the fuel passages internally since I cannot get to them in any way.

I got it soaking in chem dip now. Hopefully it eats everything else out of the thing.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
Got it cleaned out. Seems to run way better now than before. Had to make some gaskets for the mounting flanges. I had to cut open the idle mixture needle as it was sealed to be tamper proof.

Has to heat up the small screw on top to get it to some out which had another jet under that one.

Also found out this is a NIKKI carb. Sure would like to find a bowl oring since this one is showing age on it.

Now the genset runs smooth. No hunting around when you apply a load. I turned up the Hertz to 62.5-63 no load and at full load it is sitting at 59.5hz which is what the service manual says for it.

Supposed to be cold tonight. 30ish, gonna go see how it fires up again in the morning.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
Got it cleaned out. Seems to run way better now than before. Had to make some gaskets for the mounting flanges. I had to cut open the idle mixture needle as it was sealed to be tamper proof.

Has to heat up the small screw on top to get it to some out which had another jet under that one.

Also found out this is a NIKKI carb. Sure would like to find a bowl oring since this one is showing age on it.

Now the genset runs smooth. No hunting around when you apply a load. I turned up the Hertz to 62.5-63 no load and at full load it is sitting at 59.5hz which is what the service manual says for it.

Supposed to be cold tonight. 30ish, gonna go see how it fires up again in the morning.

·
September 15 FOTM
1,480 Posts
Hey casey, wondering if you would have a solution for this. Im a mechanic for a seawall and dock company. So we have a bunch of honda trash pumps. They pump salt water all day and never get flushed. So inside the pump there are 4 bolts that bolt the pump housing to the motor and they have aluminum crush washers on them to seal them. Well they last a couple months then corrode out, start leaking and now the bolts are loose and get stuck on the impeller.
20171025_082759 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr
Here a new one next to one of the better ones i replaced.
So what im wondering is there a crush washer that wont corrode out?

*edit: i know the easy solution would be to flush it at the end of the day. Thats not going to happen. Its not their equipment they dont care and will not do it

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #666
Hey casey, wondering if you would have a solution for this. Im a mechanic for a seawall and dock company. So we have a bunch of honda trash pumps. They pump salt water all day and never get flushed. So inside the pump there are 4 bolts that bolt the pump housing to the motor and they have aluminum crush washers on them to seal them. Well they last a couple months then corrode out, start leaking and now the bolts are loose and get stuck on the impeller.
20171025_082759 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr
Here a new one next to one of the better ones i replaced.
So what im wondering is there a crush washer that wont corrode out?

*edit: i know the easy solution would be to flush it at the end of the day. Thats not going to happen. Its not their equipment they dont care and will not do it
I hate crush washers with a passion. On aluminum oil pans they have a tendency to strip threads from the torque required to seal them. These are for the mounting bolts right? I would switch to a washer of the same material as the bolt and just rtv the head and washer. If it leaks then **** it, let it leak. I mean, its not like a few drips are gonna hurt anything, just use some antisieze on the threads so the bolt doesn't get stuck. Other option if its big enough is to find a drain plug with a built in rubber seal and use that. Drain plug type gaskets would work as well but may not hold torque as well. The ideal solution would be to machine a groove around the bolt hole and use a rubber O ring with a flanged head bolt and get rid of the washer altogether. I like the drain plug bolt with built in rubber seal the best, if you can find something like that it would be ideal for cost effectiveness/effort/functionality.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #667
Well guys its been for ****ing ever since Ive posted regularly. Some things happened a while back and I stopped posting, got behind, and just never started again. But If I can get my ass going I'll start uploading again. Ironic the last post here was 666. So some things have happened in that time. You may remember I bought a gutter business, well that got busy and I haven't been doing nearly as much small engine stuff. I moved out of my parent's house. IDK if I told anyone but I work on arcade games too. Well the Fun center got sold, but the new owners kept the employees and I actually do more now than I did before, they also profit share with me so I own some of my own games now. As of this typing my living room is full of arcade stuff. I have an asteroids and PGA tour in the corner, Computer towers for the PGA by the back door, 2 Monitor tubes, multiple monitor chassis, and a desk, full of electronics equipment. I know this is the small engine thread but if people don't mind I'll post that stuff here too. What else, Oh yeah. The dodge. The ****ing dodge. That went to ****ing hell. Turns out the noise at startup and light ticking was a damaged rod bearing. After 10k it spun, and I ended up dropping $1300 on a new engine, I just sold it the other day for 1-2k less than it was worth when I bought the damn thing. It also had a bunch of little bullshit go wrong. I also bought a civic. Another attempted flip I ended up keeping. It had a crack in the block (a known problem) and got a used engine. I think it will go better than the last one. Oh, and Irma. I'm in a flood zone, I'll talk about details later but my neighboorhood flooded during that fiasco. The dodge had the ass end underwater and the civic had it halfway in the interior. That was fun. I'm rambling now, am I forgetting anything. I make more videos now, including shorter (not really) Well guys its been for ****ing ever since Ive posted regularly. Some things happened a while back and I stopped posting, got behind, and just never started again. But If I can get my ass going I'll start uploading again. Ironic the last post here was 666. So some things have happened in that time. You may remember I bought a gutter business, well that got busy and I haven't been doing nearly as much small engine stuff. I moved out of my parent's house. IDK if I told anyone but I work on arcade games too. Well the Fun center got sold, but the new owners kept the employees and I actually do more now than I did before, they also profit share with me so I own some of my own games now. As of this typing my living room is full of arcade stuff. I have an asteroids and PGA tour in the corner, Computer towers for the PGA by the back door, 2 Monitor tubes, multiple monitor chassis, and a desk, full of electronics equipment. I know this is the small engine thread but if people don't mind I'll post that stuff here too. What else, Oh yeah. The dodge. The ****ing dodge. That went to ****ing hell. Turns out the noise at startup and light ticking was a damaged rod bearing. After 10k it spun, and I ended up dropping $1300 on a new engine, I just sold it the other day for 1-2k less than it was worth when I bought the damn thing. It also had a bunch of little bullshit go wrong. I also bought a civic. Another attempted flip I ended up keeping. It had a crack in the block (a known problem) and got a used engine. I think it will go better than the last one. Oh, and Irma. I'm in a flood zone, I'll talk about details later but my neighboorhood flooded during that fiasco. The dodge had the ass end underwater and the civic had it halfway in the interior. That was fun. I'm rambling now, am I forgetting anything. I make more videos now, including shorter (not really) technical videos. I have big plans for halloween this year, so may throw in some of that when the time comes, last year was the first year I started early, got my first properly animated prop and freaked people out. So I'll try to post more, let me know which stuff you want to see here.technical videos. So I'll try to post more, let me know which stuff you want to see here.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Interesting thread. Funny, it still showed 666...

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #669
I just found out there are new smileys. I can hit people with fish now! :fishead

So I went to upload and supermotors was being a bitch, so it too me forever to get it uploaded, then I just procrastinated..., I may have a problem.:brownbag
So First things first, I moved out of my parent's house. And let me tell you, That place was a god damn prison by then. Nobody ever talks about how bad living with your parent's can be. I left at 25 and have no intentions of dealing with that shit ever again. Apartments and renting never would have worked for me, so I bought.What I really wanted was a bit of land with a small house and a bigass garage. The idea being to build an apartment in the garage and rent the house, so I wouldn't have to pay a mortgage. Well those were out of my price range so I got this.
3 bed 2bath, 1300 sq ft. Not that big but hey, I'm one guy.

And yes, the bronco fits! or it used to anyway.

The ladder wasn't big enough to reach the roof.

Another from the breif period that it fit in the garage.

Why the **** the PO needed 3 dishes is beyond me.

AC intake full of baking soda, reason why will be apparent shortly.

So these pictures are kinda out of order. They were taken during painting before I moved in.

Main entrance

kitchen

Living room

2nd bath

I call this the dog room. The house was in fairly good shape except for one area, the two bedrooms on one side of the house. Based on the smell I suspect they had a dog that they just let have free reign on this side. The walls weren't trashed or anything, but the smell was terrible, especially in this room. When I pulled up the carpet the tack strips were all moldy. The smell didn't go away. I tried cleaning with bleach and it remained. Finally tsp got it out.

Random picture of my master closet. :shrug

another bedroom

Master. This side of the house was completely fine, even with the existing carpet there was no smell.

Master bath. This house was a foreclosure, and as we saw with multiple foreclosures this one showed evidence of a frantic attempt to improve and sell before the inevitable. The master had the original tub, but new tile, paint, and vanity. The spare bath they added some decorative stone around the vanity but didn't get any further.

And the part that really matters to me, the backyard.

The foundation is fine but there were tons of erosion issues. So we installed gutters, because we're gutter guys so why the **** not?

I needed to be able to get the trailer (and other things) into the backyard, so unfortunately this tree had to go. It's a shame really, I like trees.

My dad told me not to do this by myself, but **** it. My house dammit!
A few hours of this. Tie the limb off so it doesn't hit the house, cut it with the sawzall.

Did I mention I'm standing in the tree during this?

The fence is probably as old as the house is, and is kinda in bad shape. But fences are expensive so we patch the damn thing.

The existing gate was too damn small, so i made a bigger one.

Everyone said I should make 2 gates, but that sounded like a PITA to deal with every day, so I made one big one.

Figured out pretty quick that when it rains alot I get a river in my backyard.

Driving my mother****ing truck through my mother****ing backyard. **** yeah.:rockon

If I'm careful I can back my trailer into the backyard. The intention was to keep it back here, but it ends up staying in my driveway most of the time since I use it so much.

Got this old 275 gallon tote for free. I gave away the liner and use the cage for scrap

How we move shit around here, drag it!

My own little scrap metal corner.

More to follow, including new toys and updates to the overkill yard cart.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
Wall of Pics incoming!:eek:hyeah:Supermotors is making this a massive pain in my ass. I've tried 3 browsers and batch upload still doesn't work. I've realized that trying to go in chrnological order is going to be confusing and a pita for me to upload. So to make things easier but maybe slightly confusing I'm going to focus on one thing at a time. So lets get the big one out of the way. Irma.My area typically is unaffected by hurricanes as we are quite a ways inland. Irma was different. Winds and rain wasn't an issue, it was the storm surge. Every body of water was overflowing. many setting records. My house is 1/4 mile from a branch of a major river, which was previously at it's highest in 66. My neighborhood is in a flood zone, but there has never been major flooding since the neighborhood was built.My parent's were being pushy for me to stay with them during the storm, and I eventually caved, mostly because my sister had come home from college for the storm and we were going to play video games. This was a mistake.

September 11, 11 am I left with my dad to go back to my house. First sign that this wasn't normal. Retention ponds overflowing onto the road.

This picture sucks because I had to take it from the driver's seat. My dad was useless during this, he straight up refused to take pictures, or do much of anything excetp sit there and be irritating.
The first turn into the neighbohood was when I realized something was wrong. I could see people gathered at the intersection. This is one of the roads leading in. The other was worse. My house is at the back.

The first trip back there I made without a camera or even my keys (that was stupid) because I didn't know how bad it was.

I didn't get very good pictures during this, as I had bigger concerns. You see that Gold pickup way back there? That's me.

I know what you're thinking. The idea of fording it was toyed with breifly, and quickly dismissed. Could the bronco have made it? Probably. It was just under balls deep, which translates to just under the headlights on the bronco. I've forded deeper. But there were open screw holes in the bronco, the water was nasty, and for that long and deep of a ford I would have to carry momentum, which would create a massive wake pushing water into houses, which would be a dick move. In addition, the water was riding, and there was the risk of stranding it at my house.
Backyard. What isn't obvious is that not only is all the important bits of my trailer under water, but theres 2 more in this picture. The toolbox and spare are tied down to the trailer. When I released them they tried to float away.

Shed under water.

Besides my trailer, there was also a project trailer and this small utility trailer I had bought for my dad. I had just rewired it and repacked the beairngs.
I wanted to get them out of the water, as I had no desire to rewire both of them.

You know it's bad when the army shows up.

Crappy picture, about 8 pm, we managed to get both on (sorta) dry land.

September 12:
We had borrowed a boat from a friend the night before, but because of the shallow water and the fact that the engine had no chance of starting after sitting several years (despite my friends insistence it would) we had to paddle it. That ****er was heavy.
Several other people were trying to get to their houses to get their shit out, so we made a couple stops.

"just cleaning the interior."- owner

The owners of this truck wanted to move it, but the clutch had gone out a week before the storm. I was just wondering why the windows were down.

Yep, that's me.

The blue van and white truck in the back made it out the best. Too bad those ones haven't run in years. The van was a company vehicle. He was able to get it running just barely, but the company laid off most of the employees immediately after. The Impala was totaled by insurance and they offered them 2k.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #671
The dodge was missing the engine at the time, so moving it was impossible anyway. It didn't make it into the cab (much) so I wasn't too worried about it anyway.

This is the one that really hurt. I bought this civic a while back, swapped the engine, and had been driving it regularly since. I parked it sideways by my front door, but not quite as high as I could have. When I showed up the water had made it into the passenger footwell, and the front passenger suspension and axle were under. When My parents were trying to convince me to stay with them they claimed I wouldn't be able to do anything if something happend anyway. Turns out that was bullshit. According to the neighbors the water wasn't that high when they woke up, it had risen steadly. If I had been here I could have moved this car, my trailers, and the crap in my shed and avoided a ton of headache. The car was moved to this spot the night before, when the water reached the rear wheel I stuck the spare under it to get it up higher.

View from the front door.

Rear floorboard. The only saving grace is that the interior of this car was filthy to begin with, and was slated to have a full interior cleaning anyway. The seat had already been removed and cleaned and luckily was in the house.

Front floorboard.

At this point the boat was gone, and my parents had bought me a kayak as an early birthday present. I spent many hours paddling around my neighborhood, and it gave me an opportinity to explore the destruction.

This is not my car. I don't like nissans. We didn't know whose it was or where it came from, it wasn't there when I left. During the cleanup a lady I had never met came to the door. It was her car. she lived down the streed where the flooding was really bad. She evacuated before the storm but parked it here figuring it would be safe. The kicker is that her house didn't flood, it would have been fine in the garage.

The cavalier is my neighbor's daughter's. They moved it here when the water started rising, but it still got some inside.

Nobody expected the flooding, and once it started many found that anything without 4wd and aggresive tires had no traction on the soaked ground. They tried to move this ranger when the water rose, but it sunk the rear end halway up, even with several guys pushing they couldn't move it.

This side of the dodge is lower becuase the tires are not on the driveway. I put it here to leave more space for my cars.

Kayaking through my backyard. Just one of several incidents that illicits head shaking when I tell people about it.

I'll fix the flood!

By the second day the water was already receding, as soon as it was low enough I started drying out cars (what else am I gonna do?). The Dodge got just a tiny bit of water in this corner. It got a full interior cleaning 2 years prior, and I wasn't going to redo it for a tiny bit of wet carpet, so I rinsed it a little and dried it out. I also found it funny how the shop vac hose would float on the water as I was using it.

I'm told the power went out the night before I showed back up, and remained off for several days. I wasn't too concerned about that though. I had picked up 11 generators for repair 2 weeks prior.

Even thouh the honda was getting a full interior clean in the near future I wanted to get the nasty water dried up so it wouldn't mold.

Video of the full cleaning process here:
A better pic of the trailers. Note the missing light lenses. I removed all the lenses and hosed everything down with wd40 the first night so nothing would corrode.

Shed a little less flooded.

Most of this stuff either wasn't affected or wasn't a big loss, except for my yard vac, which is in the middle and was up to the carb in water.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #672
Cleaning out what I can.

Throw it in a pile, drain water, add wd40.

When life gives you lemons?

You can't see it but there's 2 concrete barriers that I paddled over to get to here.

Pretty peacful once the fear of losing everything is over.

Transportation.

September 13th: The water finally receded enough to make vehicle access reasonable.

Ive been dragging this kayak around for several days now.I would leave my truck at the front of the neighborhood.

We actually looked at buying this house. It was recently remodeled. Good thing we didn't. They had at least 6" of water inside.

This guy owns a bronco, which is about the only vehicle that was unaffected. His truck and car were underwater, plus some of the camper. The Irony is that the vessel specifically designed for water was bone dry.

I think this car was junk before the flood. It was in pretty sorry shape aside from the water damage, and was still there a year later. In fact, it may still be there.

On the first day we didn't know how much the water would rise. Some guy was telling people it was gonna go up another 4 or 5 feet (6" is more like it). So everything valuable and water adverse was raised up. In retrospect worrying about the rancher is kinda silly, it's floated down a river before.

The mower on the other hand does not like excessive hydration.

By now the water was low enough to be passable by atv.

Backyard getting close to normal levels again.

I also took the opportunity to go mudding in my backyard. Because why the **** not?

The sideyard is on fairly high ground, but water was running through it to the backyard up to this point.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #673
The water is gone but everything is still soaking wet. Which is why the civic is there. I tried to move it and it was perfectly content backing up, but absolutely refused to move after that.

My neigbors were irritated with people going too fast through the water. That gave me an idea.

Lets drive our lifted truck real slow through deep disgusting floodwater and feel tough.

I took more pictures of the backyard before I left for the day, as the water was receding at a noticeable rate.

This is what the interior looked like. I hadn't been staying here up to this point, as the water had not receded enough to get my truck in.

Computers in the bathtub.

Water adverse things stacks on things I didn't really care about.

September 14th: water pretty much gone for the most part.

You know what, **** off VitO!I can tell you're a scumbag.

I just wanted to wash the mud and algae off my driveway.

A pretty massive tree limb broke and fell away from the house. The utility trailer proved quite handy. The mower proved it doesn't have much traction when everything is mud.

Remaining water.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #674
Bringing this thread back again. Figure with this beer virus shit might as well give you some entertainment. This is what I'm working on right now. I got this from my dead neighbor. Its a japanese built slot machine. when I got it it wouldn't do anything except flash a bunch of lights and give out an error code. I drilled out the lock and looked up the error code. It was for a token jam. I checked but didn't find any issues. I started randomly pushing buttons and must have hit a reset button because the alarms stopped. There were some tokens in the hopper so I gave it a try and to my surprise everything works. Fun fact, I have never played a slot machine before now.....and had no clue what I was doing.

This thing is pretty cool, and would look good in my living room. But there's one massive issue. The cabinet is made of MDF. And this one was exposed to water at some point. The cabinet is swelled up at the bottom, white from mold and the metal parts are rusted. Its not falling apart and still feels solid, but its just too nasty to go in my house. It also has evidence of bugs.

Here you can see just how bad the wood swelled up, it should be close to flush with the front panel. I pulled this out of the pile the cleanout crew left and brought it into my front hallway. As soon as I turned the light on it clearly had to go in the garage. It was still damp. If it wasn't moldy and swelled so bad I may have been able to sand it or something but this was bad.

A look inside. Note the corrosion and rust on the hopper and power supply.

Pretty much all the damage is at the bottom, but it seems easier to rebuild the whole thing than to try to somehow replace just the bottom. I'll be rebuilding the entire cabinet using wood I have lying around.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
First I need to gut the cabinet.

With the cabinet gutted you can see the extent of the damage. The wood has swelled nearly halfway up the cabinet, it's stained, there's signs of insect excrement, and I cant get the mold off.

Now I could spend hours painstakingly taking measurements and making stencils to recreate this cabinet.

But this way is faster and easier.

With the cabinet apart I can lay out each piece on the new wood and trace around it. Making it very easy to get an accurate cut. I'm not a big woodworker and I'm honestly not sure what kind of wood this is. But its smooth and I have enough for most of this cabinet. And aside from a slight curve its perfect for this. It will likely be heavier than the old one, but also stronger. I could have bought mdf (**** mdf) or new wood but this machine will mainly be an interactive decoration for my living room, and you look at the front panel more than anything else. So I'm not too concerned with getting it perfect.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #676
First piece cut. The groove is to clear the latching mechanism for the front panel.

This piece will be significantly more challenging.

Using methods I made up as I went I was able to get it copied to a degree I was happy with. If you're paying attention you may have noticed the pictures getting progressively darker. I started on this around 5 and went until dark. This is after I mowed and installed 2 downspouts. This project is a break from my mechanical and repair projects.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #677
Friend Brought this pressure washer over months ago. Being winter and him not being in any hurry, it's been getting tossed around just wherever until now. It's getting fixed because I'm tired of looking at it. Claim is it doesn't turn on. Can confirm, doesn't do shit. no power.

So lets pull it apart.

Never pulled one of these apart before. Check out the pressure switch. It looks like half an unloader with a switch on it.

But this is the part we'll focus on first. The main power switch.

First things first check for 120v coming in.
Nope, got nothin.

This means our issue is with the cord or the plug, the plug being the most likely culprit. Since these pressure washers combine water and electricity they come with GFCI plugs instead of regular plugs. Now I could have just popped this cover off and tested for power here to begin with and saved myself the hassle of disassembling the whole thing. But In my defense this is the first Serviceable GFCI plug I've come across. Most are screwed together with security bits and the wires molded and soldered in, not easy to replace or test. I should have checked but that's what happens when you're in a hurry.

Once again we have nothing. So we now know it's definitely the plug. So lets pull it apart and see if it's a simple fix.

Uh, I don't think this is fixable.

now you know why these have GFCI plugs. I see no obviously fried components, but the main contacts and supply connections are rusted, and there is a layer of corrosion on everything. Clearly it has seen prolonged exposure to moisture.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #678
I wired up a standard plug to make sure the pressure washer itself is ok.

It works!

A new GFCI plug is on order for a grand total of $17

I spent most of today restoring the headlights on the trailblazer.
You better believe I'm showing them off.

After that I did some more on the slot machine. It was looking like rain and I didn't want to drag out the saws so I started taking care of some rust. These parts all need to be cleaned up and painted. once out I managed to separate the hopper from the mounting plate. It was held in with rust.

Aside from a little corrosion on the bottom the hopper itself is in decent shape. It will get some minor cleanup.

A wire wheel made quick work of the rust scale. I removed the circuit board from the power supply, as it might have been damaged by metal dust from the wire wheel and I can't read Japanese so a rebuild/repair would have been a nightmare. Only the very bottom where the rust was will be painted, the rest is masked off. The wires and switches are still present as they aren't as delicate.

These parts will get the standard Pfun41 paint job. 3 coats of Rustoleum rusty metal primer, 3 coats of Rustoleum Pro Gloss black, for a total of 6 coats. This is coat number 1.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
I see you're staying busy Casey. didn't waste any time packing that garage..hah.

when I get done cutting the fenders on my Bronco maybe I can have you do a Pfun paint job on it...

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #680
I see you're staying busy Casey. didn't waste any time packing that garage..hah.

when I get done cutting the fenders on my Bronco maybe I can have you do a Pfun paint job on it...
It's all good shit. There's 2 atvs and an off road mower under there. You should see the back yard.

They're good for several years and easy to touch up.;)

661 - 680 of 714 Posts