Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

701 - 715 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
I have a srm-230 (same gray covers) I trashed picked missing the throttle assembly and head. Good to know they are good machines and to keep it.

I finally remembered to take a picture of the riding mower (not a trash pick find- paid $100 and have few hundred in new parts in it) engine. Apologize on the delay on that. Believe it's from 2004 so safe to say intek? This is the engine with the top of piston smashed.

(Notice the junkyard floor mats and Honda trunk liner I cover it with heh)

Good job on that roof; insurance job wise they want way too much here. Insurance company would of probably paid out 11k and time the contractor got done with it they would of billed the insurance company 15k or more saying their was additional work needed (when there really isn't; and some of it they bill for they never do; removing gutters; repainting, new flashing depending on age, etc. If I was local I would of donated some labor just for the learning experience of DIY.
The SRM 230 is the next step up from the 210. If I'm not mistaken they still sell a 230. Main difference IIRC is handle mounting and displacement. I have a SRM2400sb for an edger. 26 cc. If it ever quits it will get a short block as well. I call it the screamin demon. These Grey shrouds were made by Kioritz. In 2008 There was a merger between Kioritz and Shindaiwa, The new Holding company is Yamabiko. This is about the time they switched to orange shroud engines, and they will bear the Yamabiko name. The designs didn't really change. The new Orange shrouds are still good machines but being designed to meet emissions they tend to run a bit leaner and have Cats in the mufflers. This means they don't like to go WOT until warmed up and can be finicky. Not usually a problem unless your a landscaper who needs it to run WOT for 10-20 minutes at a time 10-20 times a day.
We run speed feed heads on everything now. About $30 and worth every penny.

That's an Intek. Recognize that shroud anywhere.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Cut out the top and bottom pieces for the slot machine. I'm not worrying about recreating these insets.

Because the original cabinet was MDF (and MDF sucks ass) they used metal inserts with machine screws everywhere. I'm not reusing all of them as drilling the inset holes for them is a PITA.

The hardest part were these inset squares for the hinge mount backing plate.

Cabinet finally coming together. I used 18 gauge brad nails for initial assembly.

This back piece is a completely different type of wood but still very nice. Instead of offsetting it in I just attached it to the back.

There's no wood glue holding this together and brad nails weren't enough, so the sides got countersunk screws for extra support. Only the back panel is held on solely with many brad nails.

The original back panel had several slots for ventilation, which would have been a royal PITA to cut. This is my favorite method for creating ventilation. I bought a pack of these 120mm computer fan grates a while back, and a 4" hole saw creates the perfect size hole. It won't be attached until the cabinet is painted but when done it will look factory.

It may seem backwards to start mounting stuff before painting, but only the outside is being painted and I wanted to make sure everything would fit. This is the main board bracket.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #703

Rememer when I mentioned that everything had a steel insert? Well I meant EVERYTHING. It simply isnt necessary (or reasonable) to drill and countersink inserts for every little thing. so for non critical components I'm using these tek wide flange shallow depth screws.

Believe it or not I washed that coin hopper out in my utility sink. It'll be fine.

This stuff is called plastic wood, it's basically bondo for wood. I first used it to repair a chewed up window sill in my house. I'm using it to fill in large gaps and imperfections. I probably went overboard.

First layer sanded down.

Second layer of plastic wood.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Long time readers may remember the poulan. It was a "what the hell" buy during my flipping days that ended up sticking around for several years. I used it when my mower was down, and it became my dads mower when I moved out. Unfortunately it had a number of issues and one day it just refused to start. Then it got replaced. I swapped out the engine for a much better one, and discovered the starter was clapped out which is why it always sounded like it was dying. I kept it around for a long time but The simple fact is that with me now running a ZT and my dad having his own this is a 4th mower that never gets used. So I've decided to finally sell it. The hood was never in great shape but my dad was less than careful with it and it quickly went to complete shit. This is what it looks like now.

I managed to source a craftsman hood for it a while back that fits. Only Problem is it's green.

Decals removed, pressure washed, sanded and ready for paint.

This primer is really just to make sure the paint sticks.

3 coats of gloss black, 2 coats of clear.

Nobody will notice that the side says poulan but the front says craftsman.or this crack.

The clear was a bad decision. My dumb ass put it on too heavy and it ran in multiple spots.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
I picked this 40v Ryobi jet blower off the curb. Looks like new. Listed it for sale as is, turns out it doesn't work. Motor spins but doesn't really blow.

Tore it apart and found this. They used this chincy plastic coupler and it stripped out.

Simple fix right? Just replace the coupler and you're good to go. WRONG! you have to buy the whole damn motor to get it. Its not worth me fucking with. If anyone wants this thing pay for shipping and it's yours, I've got enough junk and I don't want it.

I also started this. It will become a new utility winch mount. Some asshat stole mine off my trailer back in January, while I was clearing out the fun center I worked at for nearly a decade. Left the jump box though, guess it wasn't shiny enough.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Those cordless tools are most likely from home Depot return pallet buys..atleast where a lot of the junk ones originate from. You can sell it on eBay as parts only; might not go for much as the cordless tool market is flooded with pallet returns.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Sanded the cabinet and painted it. This is Behr eggshell matte. I have no clue what the eggshell part is all about. It looks flat black to me. More importantly it was free.

"new" cord to replace the old one.

Working on Final assembly.

Door installed. I didn't really do anything to the door except blow it off. The rusty pieces would require major disassembly to remove, and it just isn't worth it right now. Maybe sometime in the future.

Contact.

Not this shit again. Nobody wants to deal with your damn alarms!

Push buttons until it acts normal.

One of the bulbs is out, I tried a 194 but they must have used 24v bulbs or something cause it was way too damn bright.

Took me forever to figure out how to work this damn thing. I've never played a slot machine before. I thought the coin hopper was broken when it wouldn't feed out tokens. Turns out you have to push the red button for that.

The door could use some cleanup but for now it's done. It will live here next to the treasure chest for the time being. Did I mention my living room is full of arcade games?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
In 2013 I built this winch plate. I originally built it around an old HF 2000lb winch. It sat on the shelf for years because there were no controls to go with it and I had a little 12v boat winch that was given to me. Well the problem with those boat winches is they kinda suck. One direction, a PITA clutch that slips when the going gets tough, and poor reliability. So a few years back I got a 2500lb badlands winch and mounted it on. It's better than any other utility winch I've ever used. Heavy, yes, but It doesn't have any of the issues a normal utility winch does. Unfortunately some asshole stole it in January. I Managed to scrounge up some of the same metal I originally used at my parent's house and built a new one as close to the old one as I could.

The dimensions aren't exactly the same since I was going from memory, but same basic design. The main difference is a beefier fairlead mount. It also uses the newer smaller fairlead, the last one used the larger fairlead from the older winch design, which did cause some problems.

Battery clips were added to the stock winch wiring for easy power hookup. The only other modification to the winch itself was the removal of the anti birdspool tab. The first winch I ever got I left it in and it got bent up and dug into the drum till it knife edged. Also it just never worked. So now I remove it on all my winches.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
352 Posts
@pfun41 Boy, where to begin...awesome thread, I’ve repaired many a small engine as a homeowner. Some I was even successful!!! I’ll have to spend time reading up your info.

For now, My sons is 24...he’s welcomed to stay as long as he wants....but I want him out on his own. It’s a parent thing...you’ll understand some day.

Speaking of parents, do not second guess them. Telling you to evac was and IS the correct thing. Don’t gamble in a Cane...your life is not worth it.

Trust me, I bought my 1st home at 26...CONGRATS BTW!, and not 2 years later Andrew blew by. My parents, deceased now, pleaded to stay with them, in my childhood home. Did I listen? No! I spent the most harrowing night of my life...thought I was a goner. My parents, some 4 miles North of me...they lost a small palm frond and slept the whole night.

I’m a retired building inspector and hold various FEMA accreditations ti conduct damage assessments. I’m now, since retired, am on a “on call” status with the Feds, should my services be needed in the next natural disaster, which, being in hurricane alley, will occur again. Bottom line, trust me...your parents were 100% correct!

Sorry, I feel like I’m talking to my son and you’re like Dude, you sound like Pops,,so to change the subject,

I didn’t know they were asteroids left in the universe....because I single handedly blasted and vaporized zillions of them back in the early ‘80s!! I was the Asteroids Ace...I’ll challenge anyone today....I know I still have it!!

Take care brother!

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
Picked these up off the curb the other day. 2 mowers, a craftsman 4 stroke power head and a bunch of attachments. The Craftsman mower and power head actually run. Looked like they were moving and didn't give a ****. The yardmachines needs carb work and looks like it's been sitting outside a while.Not sure when I'll get to them as I'm currently in a time crunch to be ready for the gambler.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Been busy lately, mostly with gambler stuff. The gambler 500 was about 2 weeks ago. Orange cavalier 4 clips in is mine. If you pay attention you can spot it in background clips. It only got stuck twice, and was left idling while I ran off with the camera constantly. Idled like shit and the rear tires rubbed but it did great.
I was rolling with the Limo, WaSAAB, and the Maple wagon. Oh, and kingfish brought his F250 out. You can see him in there.
In two weeks there's another event, I'm trying to get Rat quad, the $200 bayou, and Tetanus ready for it. The next week I'm going to Tennessee for Mini bike mayhem III. The $200 bayou has a really bad hanging idle, and could use some alignment. Rat quad I need to start up again, and tetanus needs an intake and has been sitting. Biggest issue is batteries. I've ran lawn mower batteries for testing since they're cheap and I have tons but they seem to working the regulators too hard as they get quite warm, but I'm not keen on swinging $40 a pop on batteries for machines that sit alot. I have considered going with capacitors since the $200 bayou always has to be pull started anyway but I'm not sure what size I would need.
I'm also trying to get the Trailblazer ready to make the 9 hour trip, possibly towing a trailer. I've been slowly changing the old trans fluid a few quarts at a time. I probably won't get to a full drain and fill before then but I need to do a few partial changes to get most of the old stuff out, as I know it will be much happier with the new stuff.
The catch can and a seafoam would be nice but I doubt that will happen. The 5x8 is getting a new set of tires. When I bought it it had crappy, mismatched, aged out tires on it but I left them since I had a bunch of other work to do and it rarely saw the highway. One of them blew a belt a few months back though so new tires is non negotiable. I did some shopping around and managed to find these Freestar m108+ 205/75r14s at Mavis for $74 each.

These are the same tires the gutter trailer runs, only difference is they fit the 14" rims the 5x8 uses. I considered upgrading to 15s but the tires cost more and I'd have to buy new rims plus there's already not much clearance in there so I opted to go with 14s to keep things simple.

In mower news I picked up some more stuff off the curb today.

These mowers are both low end MTDs. One is 20" and doesn't even have height adjustment. But they're in great condition. The Ryobi is a POS as they all are, needs fuel lines.
The far one has what appears to be a Kohler clone, it has carburetor issues. The near one has a B&S 300e.If you look close you'll notice it's covered in wet grass from testing. That's because it actually ran. This mower is ultra low end, but in this condition it's still worth something. So I gave it an oil change, sharpened the blade, cleaned the air filter and called it good. Have I shown you my homemade fluid extractor? Well here it is.

You might wonder why I'm fucking with a lawn mower when theres so much else that needs to be done, so I guess I'll explain my screwed up priority methods. Sometimes non important things will get prioritized when the job is easy. Usually this is due to space. In this case I already have several mowers taking up space, so rather than put this one out back with the rest of them to take up space I'll spend 20 minutes on it now so I can get it listed and out of here.
And here it is cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Those crown vics and town cars are actually really good off road in that type of terrain. 3 nice mower/trimmer find. That base model really cleaned up like new!

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
The Panther body has cemented itself in automotive culture as a ultra solid platform to build all types of vehicles off of. Tons of them show up to the gambler because they fit so well. Team Vermeer showed up in a panther that was so heavily chopped most people didn't recognize what it originally was. Push mowers aren't worth much here, but you can still make some money if you don't put to much time and cash into them. I had maybe 3$ in oil and 20 minutes invested. Sold for $50 within an hour of posting.

701 - 715 of 715 Posts