Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got done driving around a little a week or so ago and noticed a steady drip coming from the front of the engine. I looked under it and above it and could not pinpoint where it was coming from. The bottom of the pan was pretty thoroughly covered, some was dripping from the lower rad hose, oil filter and bottom of the fuel pump. So I cleaned everything off and started it up hoping to see where it was coming from. Nothing. Then I got motivated and tore the PS bracketry apart and started looking harder, a little oil was on the balancer too but nothing was really standing out as a leak. So I drove it some more, monitoring the oil pressure constantly and when I got back it was leaking some more. So then I retightened all oil pan bolts, double and triple checked the oil filter still nothing. Do you guys have any thoughts?? I'm thinking it might be the seal on the timing cover but don't really want to pull the balancer off yet but if I have to I will.

Edit: the engine is brand new with like 50 miles on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My engine leaked from the timing cover seal and made a real mess out of the front of the engine compartment. I rebuilt the engine and it still leaked out of the timing cover seal so I had to pull the balancer off and speedi-sleeve it. That solved the problem. So if that wasn't done to your engine on the rebuild and the balancer is worn, it will leak there every time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My engine leaked from the timing cover seal and made a real mess out of the front of the engine compartment. I rebuilt the engine and it still leaked out of the timing cover seal so I had to pull the balancer off and speedi-sleeve it. That solved the problem. So if that wasn't done to your engine on the rebuild and the balancer is worn, it will leak there every time.
Maybe i'm just done, but what is a speedi sleeve?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Its a sleeve that you put over the damaged area of the ballancer, it comes with an oversized seal giving the seal a new clean surface to seal on. Its ment to be a cheaper solution than buying a new ballancer

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
The 'small parts kit' that you can buy from any rebuilders supply always includes the balancer repair sleeve..or you can buy just the sleeve separately from Chicago-Rawhide/SKF. The part numbers are simple..they all start with 99 and then the next three digits are the size. 99212 for example is a 2.125" ID speedi-sleeve.

They are designed to work with stock oil seals, btw..the speedi-sleeves are very thin,,less than .010"

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I thought they used an over sized seal. I've never used one, guess I just assumed if your making the balancer shaft larger then the seal would also need to compensate

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So either the new balancer or speedi sleeve should hopefully get me fixed up. I'll pull the balancer this afternoon to take a looksie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I"m having the same problem. I have the 351M and I have oil leaking from my oil Filter. The oil is covering everything on the driver's side of the engine and is making a real mess. I have cleaned everything off many times and I haven't gotten any where. It doesn't have two gaskets on the filter I have checked that. I had a Fram on there but I got rid of that and put on a WIX. It still leaks. There is no oil coming from the front seal, Fuel pump, head gasket, it all starts at the filter. The pressure is 85psi cold, 40-45 warm @ idle, 20psi when in gear at a stop, and 55psi when driving down the fwy. The oil I have in there is 10w-30 Mobil 1 syn.
Here is a Picture of the surface and you can also see in the left side that there is no oil coming from the fuel pump.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
dumb question......but......are you putting the filter on with the gasket bone dry?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,565 Posts
dumb question......but......are you putting the filter on with the gasket bone dry?
There's never any such thing as a 'dumb' question. You brought up a valid point. Always coat the gasket with a thin film of fresh oil, then when the gasket contacts the mounting surface, 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more to properly tighten. The oil not only lubes the gasket to prevent damage on install, but allows the proper amount of torque to seal.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Man, I love this website!

I am having the same problem as Normington. I located it down to the filter so I assumed (the unforgiven and Handy Andy good advice:thumbup) that maybe the gasket got dried up in our desert summer or I cranked it on too tight and caused it to begin to leak (when I changed the oil 3,400 miles ago I had no leaks except for PS and that's another thread). I changed the oil last night and was so excited to get rid of the drip and it's still there!

I did not break it down to where Normington had it, that is a good picture btw. But I have to imagine that mine is leaking in the same manner after putting on a new filter on last night.

P.S. Sorry I don't have a 78-79 but this thread seemed to apply to my 87 in the same manner. Please don't blast me for that as I will have to cry even more when a built 78-79 drives by me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I"m having the same problem. I have the 351M and I have oil leaking from my oil Filter. The oil is covering everything on the driver's side of the engine and is making a real mess. I have cleaned everything off many times and I haven't gotten any where. It doesn't have two gaskets on the filter I have checked that. I had a Fram on there but I got rid of that and put on a WIX. It still leaks. There is no oil coming from the front seal, Fuel pump, head gasket, it all starts at the filter. The pressure is 85psi cold, 40-45 warm @ idle, 20psi when in gear at a stop, and 55psi when driving down the fwy. The oil I have in there is 10w-30 Mobil 1 syn.
Here is a Picture of the surface and you can also see in the left side that there is no oil coming from the fuel pump.

When you remove the filter look at the outer edge of the filter and look for a scrap mark. That could be hitting before the gasket seals. That will cause a leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the comments hopefully with every ones input I'll get somewhere.
Yes I put a little bit of oil on the gasket before i put it on.
It was Hand tight at first and I ran with that for 2 weeks thinking it would go away but it didn't. So after the 2 weeks I put a wrench on it and put about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn more and I still Got the same results.
I'm 6'2" 230lbs so I didn't want to go to tight in fear of stripping anything.
this Saturday I'm pulling off the power steering pump to get an even better look. I'll have the engine running while I inspect it and I'll take more pictures and show everyone how the oil leaks out.
Robs79BBbronco- i have crawled under and stood over while it was running and it definitely starts leaking oil from the filter. it mostly comes out when put under a load. (having it in park and revving to about 4-5,000 rpm.)
Also does the threaded part of the oil filter come out? (the male end on the block) if so could it possibly be stretched out and I would have to replace it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Your situation is probably different since the front is so covered, but the talk about the PS makes me think it might be the same problem I had. My fuel pump was leaking , the diaphragm went bad. I was convinced my powersteering was jacked up or something, but it was the fuel pump. I cleaned the engine, ran it for a few minutes and I could see it dripping off the bottom of the fuel pump (not next to the block at all, perfectly clean there). I pulled off the fuel pump and it had oil coming out of it from the top when I tipped it over (it was clean when on the truck). Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the leak!!! it wasn't the oil filter at all. it was my fuel pump that was spraying oil out of a little hole and onto the filter making it seem like the oil filter was doing it. i was not able to see that until i pulled off the steering pump and cleaned everything off. also since the steering pump was off i decided to change the water pump since it was rusty and leaking. it was a great Saturday and I'm glad everything went together without any problems.

cleaned everything and pulled steering pump.

started it up and this is what happened once i revved the engine.

the hole where the oil came out

Old water pump

where the leaks were coming from

I got the area ready for the new pump and you can see i put in a new thermostat

the old water pump

the New water pump (make sure you put the 3/8 bolt in first on the bottom)

new fuel pump

everything back together

Now today i'm taking off my valve covers and painting them. I'll have pictures for when i'm done.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
i see the pics just fine. good to see your weekend repairs went well. :thumbup

p.s. i like to use a light coating of wheel bearing grease on my oil filter gasket. helps the seal and i can tighten that bastard as much as i want and almost never need a wrench to get it off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts