Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Duuhhh, like a connector unplugged, or vacuum line hooked up wrong, a problem that us technicians can see at a glance and take u der 1/2 an hour to find and fix without having to buy a part over $10.00 that we have on hand.
Ah, sorta like what a member of an IT department once explained as an ID-10-T error!?! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, my birthday was on last Thursday and I extended my birthday through the weekend. Combined with my dad needing some help with some stuff and pure procrastination on my part, I didn't get a whole lot done.

However, I did manage to get both radius arms removed and one installed. I still need to do more than just the arms but I should be done by the weekend. Hopefully. At least with the suspension.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My next door neighbor decided a day wasn’t enough, so she started celebrating her birth week.

When that wasn’t enough, it became a celebration of her birth month. LOL

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
🍿

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My next door neighbor decided a day wasn’t enough, so she started celebrating her birth week.

When that wasn’t enough, it became a celebration of her birth month. LOL
for sure i celebrate the first two weeks of my birthday month. i used to go birthday month but i just don't have the drive for that anymore. haha...

On your wheel seals squealing. If you put them on the way you had them laying on the spindle, that is wrong. Those two seals go on the axle side. The black one goes on the short stub axle. and the red one drives into the back of the spindle. They take the place of the v seal That they used in the old days.
the wheel and the axle have similar seals. but, they are different sizes and can't be confused when you look at them side by side.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
This bronco wins the award for vehicle that makes me say the most words I wouldn't want my momma to hear.

But, both radius arms are installed... Correctly

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
i was able to chip away a little more at this last night. i got the radius arms tightened up. i reinstalled the sway bars. reattached the shocks. installed moog cc820 replacement springs. the aren't much taller than the factory springs but they definitely are stiffer. they should bring up the front end nicely.

next i pulled the passenger hub. i will do the driver tonight, probably.
1) i needed to do something with that squeaky two-piece wheel seal. so i slathered it with bearing grease. and like bb king said,"the squeal is gone!" at least as i spun it all by hand on jack stands.
2) i wanted to replace the hub lock nuts. the ones that were on it didn't have the little peg to hold the washer in place. i wasn't going to replace it but since i had to do the radius arms and springs, i figured what the heck.

got this off amazon as "used". i don't know why, the box was still factory sealed. but i'm not going to argue. i'll just take my savings, say thank you, and keep on truckin.

this is the peg that was gone from the set in the hub

·
Registered
424 Posts
i installed moog cc820 replacement springs. the aren't much taller than the factory springs but they definitely are stiffer. they should bring up the front end nicely.
The CC820's will level the Bronco nicely, but they definitely are firmer. Not unbearable by any means, but expect a slightly harsher ride.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
finished the install last night.

an odd note: while the driver side hub came off without issue, the SOB didn't want to go back on - just like before i replaced the spindles. but, i'm not replacing them again, so i stuck the hub on there and pressed it on with the spindle nut. it's not ideal but i'll kick that can down the road. when it's time to replace the brakes, i'll look at replacing both spindles with new ones. but for now with the brakes good to go and new bearings, new hub lucks, there's no real reason to anticipate working on it anytime soon.

after dropping the bronco i took a few measurements. that thing sits about 1" higher than my bronco front to back. i measured at the rear fender well, door, and front fender well. crazy.

i drove it around the block and everything rode like it should. it definitely needs an alignment as it is cambered out now with raising the front end.

this morning i ran it down to the shop that did my transmission for me. i don't expect to hear anything until next week but maybe i'll get lucky. they did take notes that i got the code on the upstream driver side o2 sensor. replaced the sensor. same code. swapped sensors from driver to passenger. same code. we'll see what happens.

for now, i relax. i'll probably relax by going over my bronco in preparation for thanksgiving camping.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,504 Posts
an odd note: while the driver side hub came off without issue, the SOB didn't want to go back on - just like before i replaced the spindles. but, i'm not replacing them again, so i stuck the hub on there and pressed it on with the spindle nut. it's not ideal but i'll kick that can down the road. when it's time to replace the brakes, i'll look at replacing both spindles with new ones.
Not saying you did anything wrong, but when @sackman9975 and I did some front wheel bearings and seals, we kind of “forced” it together, using a one piece seal on the 96 spindle (that needed a two piece and we didn’t realize it), and took it for a 15 minute drive to test it. We felt the hub and it was burning hot. We took it back apart and the new seal was trashed. Luckily (and graciously) he gave me a 95 spindle and rotor with a good seal on it and we went with that and all is good.

Just keep an eye on it, and maybe wrap your hand around the hub after a drive to see if it’s too hot to hold.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Not saying you did anything wrong, but when @sackman9975 and I did some front wheel bearings and seals, we kind of “forced” it together, using a one piece seal on the 96 spindle (that needed a two piece and we didn’t realize it), and took it for a 15 minute drive to test it. We felt the hub and it was burning hot. We took it back apart and the new seal was trashed. Luckily (and graciously) he gave me a 95 spindle and rotor with a good seal on it and we went with that and all is good.

Just keep an eye on it, and maybe wrap your hand around the hub after a drive to see if it’s too hot to hold.

well, it was already fucked or not. i barely drove it between the time i installed the replacement spindle and the time i took it apart despite the amount of time that had passed.

i'll definitely keep an eye on it. i'm about ready to drive it off a cliff.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,504 Posts
i'll definitely keep an eye on it. i'm about ready to drive it off a cliff.
I hear ya man. It’s too bad the banghead smiley is gone because that is definitely how that feels. Of course, if your daughter is getting that rig, I know you’re gonna make triple sure it’s 100%, no matter how many concussions you give yourself! Lol. Good luck brother.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
so...two weeks later the bronco is back from the shop. i drove it from the shop to the alignment shop. everything is looking good so far. we'll see what happens.

for the resolution....
it was a bit of a stumper for them, too. they tested everything and the values looked good. but then they hooked up a light bulb to the circuit and found that the signal would fade after a few minutes of running. they tested a jumper wire from the o2 sensor straight into the computer and still got the same failure. diagnosis: computer.

so, i happened to have a couple untested 96 / 351 computers i picked up as spares. i knew they would run the silver's 302 enough to see if the CEL came on or not. so we tried them. #1 gives the same code. #2 didn't throw an o2 code but did throw a transmission error.

i went ahead and bit the bullet and got a junkyard computer from a rolled bronco down in beaumont, tx. dropped it off and they said it was looking good.

went in today to pick it up. i was ready to cringe when they gave me the bill. but they only charged me 3 hours labor and i was HAPPY to pay that. i'm not going to declare anything solved or fixed, but i am hopeful i can at least get this heap inspected.

finally - i drove it several miles from one shop to the other. i put my hands on the hub locks and htey were not excessively hot. not really hot at all. so MAYBE the wheel bearings are at least good enough?

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,504 Posts
finally - i drove it several miles from one shop to the other. i put my hands on the hub locks and htey were not excessively hot. not really hot at all. so MAYBE the wheel bearings are at least good enough?
Nice. Glad to hear the bearings/hubs are good. I think the 96 model may have switched to two piece seals mid-year - at least that is what I can gather from my and others’ experiences.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts