Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so now that the important part is out of the way.... can we talk about the kidnapping of the Super Bowl halftime show?

It seems incredible, but when was the last time we had a SuperBowl show for people.... who actually like the Super Bowl? The Who all those years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Katy Perry.......but she doesn't fit the Super Bowl.... Neither does Rihanna's skanky ass.... or Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake?

Who the **** thought these were appropriate acts for a bunch of red-blooded football-lovin Men?

It's bullshit, this is our game.......not the Wife's, or the girlfriends. It's the Super Bowl!

/Rant :toothless

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
So what do you want to see? The Village People doing YMCA?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
That is better than this

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
They are trying to entice the younger fans to spend the money. They already know the old bags will still watch fooseball.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,152 Posts
Who the **** thought these were appropriate acts for a bunch of red-blooded football-lovin Men?
Pepsi. Number 2 for a hundred years.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,694 Posts
DVR is the BEST! :goodfinge

·
Bronco Snob
2,326 Posts
That half-time freakshow was an embarrassment. Riding some giant friggin mechanical whatever that was ...Singing beach balls and trees. This is modern day pop culture...totally depraved and lacking in depth... makes me think of the movie 'Idiocracy'..blah blah..rubble rubble..kids these days..:doh0715:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You got me interested. So I went straight to wiki and got a list of all of the SB halftime shows. Looks like the most traditional thing to do would be to have the #1 college band play the halftime show. And to be honest it also looks like having music that "football men" like has really never been a thing, so I would have to say that your original point is invalid.

I. 1967, University of Arizona Symphonic Marching Band & Grambling State

II. 1968, Grambling State University Marching Band

III. 1969, Florida A&M University and Miami area High School Bands

IV. 1970, Carol Channing, Southern University Marching Band

V. 1971, Southeast Missouri State Marching Band, Up With People

VI. 1972, Ella Fitzgerald, Carol Channing, Al Hirt & U.S. Marine Corps Drill Team

VII. 1973, University of Michigan Marching Band & Woody Herman & Andy Williams

VIII. 1974, University of Texas Longhorn Band and Judy Mallett (Miss Texas 1973) on fiddle

IX. 1975, Mercer Ellington & Grambling State University Marching Bands

X. 1976, Up with People

XI. 1977, Los Angeles Unified All-City Band & Audience card stunt

XII. 1978, Tyler Apache Belles Drill Team, and Apache Band Pete Fountain & Al Hirt

XIII. 1979, Ken Hamilton, various Caribbean bands

XIV. 1980, Up with People, Grambling State University Marching Bands

XV. 1981, Southern University Marching Band, Helen O'Connell

XVI. 1982, Up with People

XVII. 1983, Los Angeles Super Drill Team

XVIII. 1984, University of Florida and Florida State University Marching Bands

XIX. 1985, Tops In Blue

XX. 1986, Up with People

XXI. 1987, George Burns, Mickey Rooney, Grambling State University and USC Marching Bands, Disney characters, Southern California-area high school drill teams and dancers

XXII. 1988, Chubby Checker, The Rockettes, 72 grand pianos, and the combined San Diego State University Marching Aztecs and USC Marching Bands.

XXIII. 1989, Elvis Presto, South Florida-area dancers and performers, with 3-D effects

XXIV. 1990, Pete Fountain, Doug Kershaw, Irma Thomas, Nicholls State University Marching Band, Southern University Marching Band, USL Marching Band

XXV. 1991, New Kids on the Block (NKOTB), Disney characters, Warren Moon, 2,000 local children, audience card stunt

XXVI. 1992, Gloria Estefan with Olympic Figure skaters Brian Boitano & Dorothy Hamill

XXVII. 1993, Michael Jackson

XXVII. 1994, Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, The Judds

XXVIII. 1995, Patti Labelle, Indiana Jones & Marion Ravenwood, Teddy Pendergrass, Tony Bennett, Arturo Sandoval, Miami Sound Machine

XXX. 1996, Diana Ross

XXXI. 1997, The Blues Brothers (Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman and James Belushi), ZZ Top, James Brown, Catherine Crier ("news" intro)

XXXII. 1998, Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, The Temptations, Queen Latifah, Grambling State University Band

XXXIII. 1999, Gloria Estefan, Stevie Wonder, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Savion Glover

XXXIV. 2000, Tina Turner, Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton, 80-person choir, Edward James Olmos (narrator)

XXXV. 2001, Aerosmith, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige, Nelly

XXXVI. 2002, U2

XXXVII. 2003, Shania Twain, No Doubt, Sting

XXXVII. 2004, Janet Jackson, P. Diddy, Nelly, Kid Rock, and Justin Timberlake

XXXIX. 2005, Paul McCartney

XL. 2006, The Rolling Stones

XLI. 2007, Prince, Florida A&M University Marching 100 Band

XLII. 2008, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

XLIII. 2009, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

XLIV. 2010, The Who, Funkus Maximus

XLV. 2011, The Black Eyed Peas, Usher, Slash, Dallas/Ft. Worth-area area high school drill teams and dancers

XLVI. 2012, Madonna, LMFAO,[22] Cirque du Soleil,[23] Nicki Minaj,[24] M.I.A.,[25] Cee Lo Green,[22] Andy Lewis,[26] Avon High School Drumline, Center Grove High School Drumline, Fishers High School Drumline, Franklin Central High School Drumline, Southern University Dancing Dolls, 200 Person Choir consisting of Indianapolis locals

XLVII. 2013, Beyoncé, Destiny's Child

XLVIII. 2014, Bruno Mars, Red Hot Chili Peppers

XLIX. 2015, Katy Perry, Lenny Kravitz, Missy Eliott, and Arizona State University Sun Devil Marching Band

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The billions the NFL makes and they don't even pay the entertainer. Yeah but we give you exposure. I thought they had a union for that chit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You got me interested. So I went straight to wiki and got a list of all of the SB halftime shows. Looks like the most traditional thing to do would be to have the #1 college band play the halftime show. And to be honest it also looks like having music that "football men" like has really never been a thing, so I would have to say that your original point is invalid.

I. 1967, University of Arizona Symphonic Marching Band & Grambling State

II. 1968, Grambling State University Marching Band

III. 1969, Florida A&M University and Miami area High School Bands

IV. 1970, Carol Channing, Southern University Marching Band

V. 1971, Southeast Missouri State Marching Band, Up With People

VI. 1972, Ella Fitzgerald, Carol Channing, Al Hirt & U.S. Marine Corps Drill Team

VII. 1973, University of Michigan Marching Band & Woody Herman & Andy Williams

VIII. 1974, University of Texas Longhorn Band and Judy Mallett (Miss Texas 1973) on fiddle

IX. 1975, Mercer Ellington & Grambling State University Marching Bands

X. 1976, Up with People

XI. 1977, Los Angeles Unified All-City Band & Audience card stunt

XII. 1978, Tyler Apache Belles Drill Team, and Apache Band Pete Fountain & Al Hirt

XIII. 1979, Ken Hamilton, various Caribbean bands

XIV. 1980, Up with People, Grambling State University Marching Bands

XV. 1981, Southern University Marching Band, Helen O'Connell

XVI. 1982, Up with People

XVII. 1983, Los Angeles Super Drill Team

XVIII. 1984, University of Florida and Florida State University Marching Bands

XIX. 1985, Tops In Blue

XX. 1986, Up with People

XXI. 1987, George Burns, Mickey Rooney, Grambling State University and USC Marching Bands, Disney characters, Southern California-area high school drill teams and dancers

XXII. 1988, Chubby Checker, The Rockettes, 72 grand pianos, and the combined San Diego State University Marching Aztecs and USC Marching Bands.

XXIII. 1989, Elvis Presto, South Florida-area dancers and performers, with 3-D effects

XXIV. 1990, Pete Fountain, Doug Kershaw, Irma Thomas, Nicholls State University Marching Band, Southern University Marching Band, USL Marching Band

XXV. 1991, New Kids on the Block (NKOTB), Disney characters, Warren Moon, 2,000 local children, audience card stunt
Looks like 1991 is when the half time show went to crap.....

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
That half-time freakshow was an embarrassment. Riding some giant friggin mechanical whatever that was ...Singing beach balls and trees. This is modern day pop culture...totally depraved and lacking in depth... makes me think of the movie 'Idiocracy'..blah blah..rubble rubble..kids these days..:doh0715:
You just realized that? Welcome to 2015 my friend, everything is ****ed.

The billions the NFL makes and they don't even pay the entertainer. Yeah but we give you exposure. I thought they had a union for that chit.
They want that money to stay in their pockets, so they can buy fancy houses and other shit they don't need.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
I don't even remember watching a half time show ever, but I do enjoy the commercials. Halftime is perfect to get some food going on because you can't leave the tv until then because the commercials are so good throughout the day. Sometimes the commercials keep the tv tuned in because the game sucks so bad, but that was not the case yesterday. Came down to one play, great game.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,585 Posts
For me the Super Bowl was "I don't know" vs "I don't care" and the game was so-so at best. I waited for half time just case I wanted to see Ms Perry.... and left after that was over. Not even the commercials were good. Best part of that Sunday was the great food my momma made....and the progress I made in the garage for them.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
For me the Super Bowl was "I don't know" vs "I don't care" and the game was so-so at best. I waited for half time just case I wanted to see Ms Perry.... and left after that was over. Not even the commercials were good. Best part of that Sunday was the great food my momma made....and the progress I made in the garage for them.
This. The superbowl has really sucked in the last couple years IMHO.
I only watched it for commercials and half time but the commercials were mostly boring predictable shit and the halftime show looked like it was conceptualized by a bunch of children's cartoon designers on a bad acid trip.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I never watch the superbowl and I catch the commercials online the next day.

That way I already know which ones were good and which ones were crap.

It seems this year's commercials had lots of crap.

None of them really memorable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts