Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is - the mysterious "choke" relay (if that's it's real name/purpose). This is on an '85 with the 351 and what I assume is the Holley 4180 (this is stock correct?):

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/mump_0907_how_to_understand_the_holley_4180/photo_14.html

...I have searched the forum and found a number of discussions regarding this in the archives but the discussions mostly fizzle out with no real solution. Any help, thoughts and comments are seriously appreciated

...(c) looks as though it meets up with some other stuff and heads to the alternator (is that what that thing is?). (a) and (b) I'm not sure of though I could do some further snooping this evening or tomorrow. I had my little mechanic waiting. In 2027 this Beast belongs to her so I want to get it in tip-top shape. One solution may be a manual choke, but that seems $pendy!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
is there a part number on it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a part number on it?
see how the relay next to it still has its Ford Motor Co. black housing/shell/thingie? If that's where the part number would be on then, no. However if it's stamped in the metal somewhere I'm not sure. It's in a kind of difficult spot but I can go out there again tomorrow and scrape away some dirt for another look if it's reachable without removal - to get the pics I just hung the camera down in there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the Guys at Recreational Electrical:

>Emily,
>
>Ok, looking at the diagrams, here is what I know,
>The "Choke relay" has only a little to do with the "high altitude" package.
>It is a simple general relay (which we carry tons of) and all it does is
>runs the choke heater.
>
>The second relay is what they are calling a "7 second" relay. It has solid
>state circuitry build in that I assume trigger for 7 seconds and shuts off.
>
>So my real question is, I need to know why you took it in to begin with.
>Drivability? Cold morning start issues? What made you start to think that
>you needed a new carb, or new relay?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
thats a good point, what pointed you to the relay in the first place?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't see why it even needs it, there were tons of 4180's without any of that stuff. Even a 4160 electric choke will probably bolt right up if you are having issues.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a good point, what pointed you to the relay in the first place?
So I knew I needed to rebuild or get a new carb when I purchased her as I was warned by the seller. I only got it checked out by my "car care" guy to double check I needed a new carb/or rebuild and he agreed. Why? because I have to baby sit her until she warms up to a "normal" range (about 15 minutes on the gas) or she'll die. And even then her idle is ruff and can cut out at long stop lights.

It was the car care guy who mentioned I needed a new relay and after looking at it and seeing how the cover on it is gone he's probably right. it LOOKs in poor shape...he may have tested it too. I didn't grill him on that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see why it even needs it, there were tons of 4180's without any of that stuff. Even a 4160 electric choke will probably bolt right up if you are having issues.
Yep - that's what I am hoping for as I was planning on buying the 4160 before I was told about the relay. To be continued!

·
Registered
84 Posts
just from the looks of it, it kinda looks like it taps into the a.c. wiring... through deductive reasoning, and this is just a guess, it probably raises the idle on your carb just a bit when the a.c. compressor kicks on... the choke should be adjustable, just loosen the screws that hold the black canister on the side of the carb and turn it until the choke horn is just slightly open, i believe thats the adjustment... i wouldnt think that a choke would have a relay... the carb could need a good cleaning there is just no way of me knowing just from this post... had the truck been sitting for awhile?

·
Registered
84 Posts
and that thing in picture c is your a.c. compressor... and that harness on your driver side fender well that plugs into that black plastic by that metal box(ignition module) is where a.c. is plugged in at... im thinking when the compressor kicks on it trips the relay which in turn is supposed to raise the idle slightly... just a guess, im not a mechanic but i play one at work... hehe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and that thing in picture c is your a.c. compressor... and that harness on your driver side fender well that plugs into that black plastic by that metal box(ignition module) is where a.c. is plugged in at... im thinking when the compressor kicks on it trips the relay which in turn is supposed to raise the idle slightly... just a guess, im not a mechanic but i play one at work... hehe
dang you're good, those pictures are crappy! I'll copy and paste this to my electrician.

sitting for awhile? no not really, unless a week is awhile. she is caked in mud though. a student-mechanic sold her to me and was quite sure the carb needed a rebuild. I could buy some carb cleaner and fiddle with the screws, guess it couldn't hurt but with my infant I am seriously strapped for time...so after being told twice it needs a rebuild or replaced I just figured why mess with it, just pay to get it done.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where the hell is fireguy when you need him? i know this isnt fuel injection but hes a wire nut if you know what im sayin
flipping wires. i so wasn't expecting all those pesky wires. i wanted to make a rolling faraday box - so much for that, haha.

you don't happen to "play a mechanic" in Colorado do ya?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just from the looks of it, it kinda looks like it taps into the a.c. wiring... through deductive reasoning, and this is just a guess, it probably raises the idle on your carb just a bit when the a.c. compressor kicks on... the choke should be adjustable, just loosen the screws that hold the black canister on the side of the carb and turn it until the choke horn is just slightly open, i believe thats the adjustment... i wouldnt think that a choke would have a relay... the carb could need a good cleaning there is just no way of me knowing just from this post... had the truck been sitting for awhile?
so mike is mine an xlt? 351, 4bbl, dual xhaust. all the badges are gone. (have you seen my "paint" job -- ugh I could strangle someone. haven't these spun fools ever heard of masking tape?! sorry ranting.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah i know what your sayin... i also have the 85 model... dont go to turning screws on it too much especially if youre not familiar with carburetors... you can try to adjust your idle circuit mixture scews... if anything turn them in until lightly seated and back them out 1.5 to 2 turns and go from there... has it had a tune-up recently? check your spark plugs, make sure your plug wires arent burned on the exhaust, pull your distributor cap off and check that(if its black on the inside with carbon and if the contacts are corroded or burned lookin get a cap and rotor, hell just go ahead and replace em if you got the money cuz it never hurts... make sure you put the wires back on in the same spot)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
does it have a electrical choke? or is it using a bi metal type with a heat riser?

post some carb pictures.

You may have other issues than the cold keeping it running issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wait...a.c. compressor? just to be clear i'm pointing in picture (c) to the ribbed tube. the tube leads up to that thing in the front of my engine with the belt on it? sorry I'm a total girl here. I thought that was my alt, tho.

·
Registered
84 Posts
so mike is mine an xlt? 351, 4bbl, dual xhaust. all the badges are gone. (have you seen my "paint" job -- ugh I could strangle someone. haven't these spun fools ever heard of masking tape?! sorry ranting.)
xlt is the options package... do you have power windows? power door locks? tilt steering? bad ass bucket seats with folding armrests? center console with cup holders?:rockon

·
Registered
84 Posts
wait...a.c. compressor? just to be clear i'm pointing in picture (c) to the ribbed tube. the tube leads up to that thing in the front of my engine with the belt on it? sorry I'm a total girl here. I thought that was my alt, tho.
the alternator is gonna be on the right side as you sit in the truck(passenger side) the a.c. compressor is gonna be on the driver side at the top...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts