Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Well guys, I all but had my mind made up on a converter\ re-gear, but I decided to go ahead and swap cams instead. The HO cam's power band is simply too high for a truck, and the converter\gearing would just be a band-aid for that. I may still re-gear in the future, but I want to see what the cam will do by itself. Anyways, cam swap is under way! I worked the night before so I wasn't working my "hardest" or "fastest" but I had a good time and still got quite a bit done. Engine isn't out yet, but other than the bell housing bolts, I believe I'm done up top. I realized that I'm going to have to delete EGR since the plenum spacer is an inch thick and the EGR tube won't reach. Also, my current EGR tube broke. You can also see how horribly the ceramic paint held up on the headers. Depending on what surprises I find during the cam swap, ceramic coating might be in the budget for those. We're heading out to breakfast, then how to get this show on the road in a few hours, check out the pics!
Here's a before shot:

Not so bad, could be worse:

They weren't amused, I thought it was hilarious.

Here's where I left off for the day:

And the parts pile (keep in mind I have 1.72 rollers, so the lift will be higher)...

More pics to come today!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Heh, man makes plans and God laughs. I was this far into this engine about 8 years ago when I put the HO cam in, and it was spotless. I think something happened with my oil pump because this engine is FILTHY on the inside...which lead me to check one of my rod bearings...

So now I'm leaving for the JY in 20 min to search for a roller 5.8l!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Saturday was fun, driving an hour to the JY to pull an engine in the pouring rain. Luckily it stopped pouring when we got there, but the ground was still wet. We did pick up a Roller 351W out of a 94 E150 for $250 with everything I need, digital cluster, but there was 105XXX on the window. I pulled the farthest bearing from the oil pump once we got the engine out and it looked good. Worn a bit, but good. I'm sure it'll get at least new rod bearings. Here' how it looked when I brought it home:

Cam (not being used cam) and cam bearing:

Lifter valley, heads (not being reused), and top of piston\crosshatching:

Overall, not bad, but I took the opportunity to clean them all to looks like this:

Lifter valley after cleaning:

And the underside. Tomorrow I'll be pulling rod caps and checking that stuff out.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Yesterday I went ahead and measured all the rod journals, and they all read right at 2.310, so we're good these. I ordered some Clevite CB831P8 standard sized and a palstigauge set to check all that jazz. Along with all that, I have an oil pan gasket, oil pump, plenum gasket, and head gaskets coming in tomorrow and Friday. Speaking of which, I drilled the head bolt holes out to 1\2 inch today, while my wife cleaned the oil pick-up, dog bones, spider, and started on the lower intake. I'll have more pics after lunch, but here's the mock up, and rod bearings (they all pretty much looked the same, honestly).

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Plenty of progress! I replaced the rod bearings, plastigaged every one of them and they all were right at the tight side of Clevite's spec, which was the loose side of the "desired" spec from the manual. Cam install went as any cam install should go, it slid in. Turns out I needed 7.6 inch push rods so I ordered some Trickflow 4130s and put them in yesterday. POR 15's the oil pan, and as much of the frame as we could reach, bottom will be when the weather warms up a bit. Most of this last weekend was spent tying up loose ends like the distributor (gear swapping) and cleaning stuff like the intake, plenum, accessory brackets, thermostat housing, etc. Also, turns out my "tall" valve covers will fit...BARELY. PCV might need some massaging, but I'll wait until the gaskets thicknesses are accounted for before I massage anything. Most every thing is painted and ready to get, which is a good thing since I plan on doing quite a bit of overtime this week. Here's some pics!

If all goes well I should be putting it in this weekend!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Sorry guys, didn't get very many pictures of the install, but it's done for now! Install was very frustrating. I think I've had the old engine out of this thing 4 or 5 times and NEVER had such an irritating time getting it back together. Once that got done it was pretty straight forward. There was a bit of a fuel leak where the fuel rail was tweaked, but that was an easy fix. I guess the biggest hurdle was header on the GT40Ps, but it wasn't that bad. I am keeping an eye on the passenger side, it's rubbing the frame just a bit, but that's nothing a little "clearancing" won't fix. I did have to take the headers loose from the collectors, so I'm sure I'll be snugging collector bolts for the next few months, lol. Here's some pics of the completed project, I haven't put the cap on the throttle linkage yet because I'm sure I'll be adjusting the TV cable...again. Believe it or not, the upper plenum is NOT hitting the valve cover, and is BARELY touching the PCV..I'm watching that, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

My budget option for the dipstick seems to be working out well. JBG has factory 351W dipstick and dipstick tubes on "sale" for $90 shipped. Yeesh. Lokar doesn't make one for the 351W (that has the dipstick through the block), so I took my chances on a $16 Mr. Gasket special. So far, so good. I used a 4 inch bolt with 2 extra nuts to act as a header stud and as a mount for the dipstick tube. I put 5 quarts in during priming (to fill the oil filter), then checked it on the dipstick and it showed a quart low, so it's "accurate"...but on probation, like the PCV and the passenger side header. Here's a better pic of that.

Another thing I think I cleaned up decently was my remote mounted TFI module. I still run the 89 TFI, but I relocated it over to the fender (using a stock 1992?+ heatsink) and originally had a pigtail with spade connectors run from the distributor to the TFI. Essentially I still have the same thing, except for 2 things. I used the male\female connectors from the newer style distributor so I can disconnect the dist from the harness, and wrapped my entire relocation harness in foil tape, soldered leads on both ends of the tape, and grounded the whole thing on each side. Will that make a difference? I dunno. The connector thing sure is sweet though.

Now onto the gains. There's a lot of them. Just as a refresher, my old setup was a roller 302W with an HO cam (advanced 2* to help the power band come down), Scorpion 1.72s, GT40Ps with Alex Part's valve springs, explorer injectors, and a MAF A9L swap. I also have F350 brakes swapped in, which gave me a dual diaphragm booster, larger bore MC, and larger bore RCs. My truck wouldn't do burn outs. At all. Now, with basically the same setup, except for the Lunati cam and a roller 351W...It'll do some pretty sweet burn outs, hehe. All shenanigans aside, there is a LOT more power and it's overall a lot more drivable. There is a CEL on, but that's from the TAD, TAB, and EVR solenoids and the EVP being deleted. Those resistors should be coming in today though. Anyways, here's the video of the idle!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Finishing touches, along with looking for an excuse to enjoy this awesome weather. Set TV pressure, bled brakes, POR 15'd the A\C accumulator, and just did some general wrapping up. So far, so good!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Thanks! I'm back to chasing my brake problems now, they work, but not like they should. Once I get them working I'll POR 15 the booster. The booster, MC, and RCs are all new, but still.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
We had a pretty productive weekend, I replaced the passenger side door lock actuator, and that turned into adding sound dampener to both doors, then tunnel, and some of the floor. After that, I was FINALLY able to pull the spring out of the RABS module, which made a pretty good difference in the brakes, but I'm not sure if they're fixed or not. Stainless lines are in the future, if I can ever find a stock length set. After all that, I pulled the booster, cruise bracket, and TB bracket to clean and POR15. Just got done putting that all back together, and it looks GREAT! Here's some pics:
Cleaning the inner door surfaces, then with the dampener, and finally the plastic covering:

At some point in the last 15 years I messed up the plastic on the passenger side, so I used some scraps to try and cover up some holes. It probably didn't do anything, but the holes are covered up, lol.

Here's the floor pans, then with dampener installed.

Here's the engine bay before:

Here'e the booster and the cruise bracket, I know. I have some wiring to clean up.

TB cable bracket, along with the A\C accumulator that I did last week

I'm sure I'll find more to do!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
So I actually was able to get the truck out on the open road a bit...and the AOD is not happy. Honestly it's never really been happy. I've hated it for the entire 15 years I've had the truck. I know that the AOD wouldn't ever hold up to amount of power that the (future) stroker will put out, so a trans swap was going to happen at some point. After talking it over with the wife, we decided to go ahead and move forward (Ha! transmission pun) with a 4R70W swap. Since then, I have contacted Moates and a few other about tuning, and came to the determination that I'll use a 94-95 V8 Mustang PCM, and swap a solenoid from an AODE into it. Flexplate is the same, as is the speedometer cable (as long as it's before 03), either tail shaft housing will work....more on that later. Okay. It's later. The 4R70W tail shaft is 1 inch longer, so I'll need to figure something out on a driveshaft. Either I can swap in a 94+ F150 RC, LB, 2WD 4R70W drive shaft, or I can have my current drive shaft cut down. I'd rather not have it cut down, since I'm not 100% sure how much I'd need it cut down, and I'm over an hour away from a shop that can do it. Linkage is still being figured out at the moment. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Dan from Silverfox (A GREAT guy BTW, highly recommend him), he's going to see what he can't figure out...

So! Now that the majority was figured out, we decided to go look for a trans at a junkyard. 98+ is best (mechanical diode), so I was looking for a 98-01 2WD Exploder, 98-02 4.2L V6 F150, or a 3.8L Stang. We found a few Stangs, but settled on a 98 F150 with 152K on the passenger window. Pulling the trans without a jack and the truck higher than usual was a reminder of how old I am now, as well as walking that line between dangerous and fun...I didn't bleed, so I'm calling it a win. I noticed something on the TC once I did actually get it out:

A warranty sticker from the manufacturer (Precision) marked 10\7\19. I didn't really think anything of it. I never have that kind of luck. So I pay the $138 for the trans, TC, and the trans harness; and go on my way home. We get home, and I naturally tear into it immediately. Hmmm: This looks fresh:

I begin to put two and two together and get twenty-two, but instantly deny it. I never have that kind of luck. The tear down continues...first I notice a Transtec gasket (an aftermarket replacement)...then I notice the intermediate clutch stack...and how new they look...I can still feel the machining marks on the steels:

Sweet 8 pound, 6 ounce, newborn infant baby Jesus. I just bought a freshly rebuilt transmission for $138 with a torque converter! I kept tearing into it, because I have more fricitions and steels to upgrade, and I want to check up on it all, just to be sure. So, more tear down pics.
Reverse stack, It's reverse so I didn't think there'd be much wear....but it's has .060" clearance, which is in spec...and there's 4 frictions when this year would only have 3 from the factory.

Valve Body

More date codes:

That's it for now! Oh yea, Quarterhorse showed up, but I'm going to wait until the trans swap to put install that since I have to take the PCM apart.

For now, I've been reading on the J-mod, reading the ATSG on the 4R, and trying to keep my eyes uncrossed. This gets confusing fast! More pics to come!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Lots of learning progress, but not much actual work on the trans, lol. I have a plan for the shifter, but there might be a cheaper option, so I'm looking into that first.As for the drive shaft...still figuring out where I can track one down.On to good news...LPW trans pan got here Thursday, and yesterday I ordered Rayebstos' Hybrid kit for frictions, I don't think I'll need reds...not for my application. Also ordered a 1-2 spring setup which has been discontinued..but is the best spring setup. VB mods can get the same feeling as the springs, so maybe that's why. Anyways, I went that route. Other than that, I ordered a 300M intermediate shaft, and a Sonnax OD servo pin. I still have a new (5.4L) EPC, 5.4L Wave plate, 1 piece output shaft seals, and a filter in my cart; but I still have other gaskets and whatnot I need to order so I'm holding off on buiying all that crap to hopefully save on shipping. As for any actual work? I finished the tear down but didn't actually get any pictures of it, but there's no carnage so it's nothing special. I did go through Silverfox's Tech_Mod Article and have that mostly done. I'm drilled out the lube feed hole for the one way clutch to 3\32, drilled out the lube orifices on the direct drum, ground lube notches in both sun gears, and ground a channel in the output shaft for better lube. Here's some pics!
Here's the pan, very nice quality:

Here's the one way clutch hole, nothing really crazy:

And here's the lube paths, four on each sun gear:

Put together:

You can see where lube can get through to the planetaries now:

Same general idea on the output shaft, fluid comes out of this hole (for lubrication) and this'll give it it a bit more flow towards everything that needs it.

Tomorrow I hope take inventory of what gaskets I need, verify what TCC solenoid I need, and that's about it. Now I wait for parts to get here. I turn 35 on Friday, so maybe I'll be building a trans on my birthday!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Thanks guys! I have been workin' on the trans, lol. Frictions got here, so did the 300M intermediate shaft, TCC solenoid (New old stock Ford), solid output shaft seals, 1-2 springs, along with gaskets and whatnot. Here's a pic of some of that...

Here are the output seals installed, I would have more done today, but they had to resize down most of yesterday. I ended up getting them seated around 9PM...I work nights and had been up since 10:30PM the previous night, so I went to bed. Today I installed the new direct clutch stack, assembled the output shaft\drum\direct drum combo, and for now I'm breaking for lunch. I did get the stack's clearance's measured, right at .071"...spec is .060-.090" so I'm happy with it. Here's a few pics of that:

And all assembled:

My birthday present gets here today so I'm not sure how much more I'll get done...but I'm sure there will be more.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts