Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone post up your favorite jack, the brand name, how long you have had it, and why you like it.

I will start by saying if you like your craftsman jack you have bad taste and this jack sucks monkey balls, so lets leave this one out of the reponses!!!
this jack sucks, it is a craftsman, i have had it for about 3 years, and it sucks because it is broke!

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
actually, that sucks for you, because i have the exact same jack and it rocks. i take it on all my wheeling trips, its aluminum and weighs 44 lbs., everyone uses and abuses it, and it has yet to let me down. you must be that guy who has the rain cloud over his head all the time :goodfinge

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i have a similar jack from harbor frieght, beat the piss out of it too, never been let down. it could be a little more HD though....

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually, that sucks for you, because i have the exact same jack and it rocks. i take it on all my wheeling trips, its aluminum and weighs 44 lbs., everyone uses and abuses it, and it has yet to let me down. you must be that guy who has the rain cloud over his head all the time :goodfinge
yeah i thought it was just me too but i asked around, i have 2 friends with the same jack both said it sucked, leaked oil etc.. did more research and found out we were not the only suckers...check out the reviews on the sears website, almost all negative
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950239000P?keyword=jack

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have 2 of these 3 ton HF jacks. For the money, I cant complain about them. The only thing I wish was better is the way it lets down under load. You have to be very careful or instead of easing the load down, it drops it all at once.

Attachments

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
I have 2 of these 3 ton HF jacks. For the money, I cant complain about them. The only thing I wish was better is the way it lets down under load. You have to be very careful or instead of easing the load down, it drops it all at once.
I got a HF one like that too. It rocks for the price. Heavy biatch thou.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've had a few floor jacks, all of which were cheap/inexpensive. The first was a 30 year old 2.5 ton hand me down from my dad. It was rebuilt in the mid 70's and handed to me in 1991. It lasted until two years ago. Brand unkown.

I was given a Craftsman 1 1/2 ton :histerica for Christmas in '03. It was just too small, but it did have it's own box. :thumbup Sold it in a garage sale.

I acquired a Chinese HF type jack in 2005. It failed within months, so I bought an aluminum jack from Costco in 2006. It worked well until a couple of weeks ago. Blew the seals.

I had been looking for a new garage jack, so I decided to search FSB. There were a couple of good reviews for one I had been looking at on Ebay. Another cheapy. It's a 3.5 ton Michelin. It's got a 22" inch reach. Chinese stuff most likely, but what the heck. I'll give it one last try. If this one fails, I'll drop the cash for a good one. Here's a picture:

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
my sams usually sells those michelin branded jacks
i have a harbor freight trolley jack i'm happy with it small portable and can pick up a corner of the bronco, definently gotten my money's worth out of it (<$20)

i've always liked blackhawk air over hydraulic long frame jacks like i used at work

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i have a 3ton one from costco, its heavy as hell, but is pretty good for 70 bucks. i need to clean it and grease it up good but over all im very happy with it. i also have a little aluminum no namer that i use to jack up my familys other cars, 2 ford focus' a taurus, fusion, and 330ci bimmer. i also have a craftsman aluminum at the farm for my hot rods

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
has anyone tried the pneumatic ones. i saw some advertised before. one version was literally pneumatic, as in, runs off your OBA. then i saw another that was run off of your tailpipe.

they both work like the pneumatic lift mats firefighters use in confined spaces / collapsed buildings.

i have no experience, but was wondering if they work.
mj

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
OK everyone post up your favorite jack, the brand name, how long you have had it, and why you like it.

I will start by saying if you like your craftsman jack you have bad taste and this jack sucks monkey balls, so lets leave this one out of the reponses!!!
this jack sucks, it is a craftsman, i have had it for about 3 years, and it sucks because it is broke!
Have you checked with Sears parts for the price of a hydraulic cylinder replacement? (assuming this is the problem). If the cost is too much, go to HF and get a replacement cylinder, since HF and Sears get their jacks from either the same or adjacent Chinese jack manufacturers.

My main jack is a 100 dollar special from Sam's rated at 9000 lbs. I've had it for at least ten years and it still works well without leaks. However I'm a fan of 3 ton bottle jacks and 4x4 blocks. They're portable, work well on dirt and are inexpensive. Of course as with all jacks, jackstands are a necessity.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
yeah sears has no replacement parts for this jack.
What a bummer...However a good hydraulics shop should be able to rebuild the cylinder. It'd be a shame to toss the frame for a bad cylinder.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have two of the harbor freight jacks and a 20 year old craftsmen jack that I have owned since day one. The craftsmen jack is finally trying to give up after all this time, but is still going and is still safe for now. The harbor freight jacks are worth the money, but I will bet they don't last 20 years.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I had been looking for a new garage jack, so I decided to search FSB. There were a couple of good reviews for one I had been looking at on Ebay. Another cheapy. It's a 3.5 ton Michelin. It's got a 22" inch reach. Chinese stuff most likely, but what the heck. I'll give it one last try. If this one fails, I'll drop the cash for a good one. Here's a picture:

This is the one I've got. Got it from Sam's Club. I think it was $60? Not sure. I've had it for about 5 months now and love it. One or two pumps and it is at the point to start jacking. It feels nice and sturdy. The rubber pad on the lifting surface is nice. It moves around the garage without a fight. Don't have a bad thing to say about it.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I like this HB long frame cause it was relatively cheap and
the only one that reaches over 20" to reach my mog axles.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I have a big 3-ton in storage, but mainly use smaller 2.5 tons around the garage, usually just doing one corner at a time. My main garage jack has a cross-pin safety setup, where, after lifting, I can put a big pin across the frame through the lifting arm, before setting the jackstand. That way I can take my time about getting the jackstand in just the right place, without worrying about being under a vehicle only held up by a jack. That's a "Mack" model (like the truck) that I got at Walmart for $25 or something like that.

I picked up a little 2.5 ton that came in a bag to carry in the truck, for tire changes and stuff. Lots faster than the stocker, that's for sure. Room in the bag for my flip sockets, breaker bar, wheel chocks, and knee pads, too. $17 on clearance at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
like my lincoln floor jacks, and my gray air jacks. have a 30k air floor jack style gray, and a 10k end lift grat.
also have a giant hydraulic floor jack that will lift up the back of a d8 cat.........

1 - 20 of 59 Posts