Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my family now posseses 4 vehicles that have had issues due to the corrosive effects of ethanol. they are:
2001 xr100
2003 crf 230
2006 rancher 350
custom off road lawnmower
the xr had a corroded pilot jet which coused it to not idle and run like shit. the rancher seems to be suffering the same problem. the crf is having warmup and idle issues which leads me to beleive its another pilot jet issue. my lawnmower (in this thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174836) suffers from a rotted float bowl gasket, needle valve seat, and possibly pilot jet. so ive decided this shits been ****ing my stuff up long enough. i need something to counteract its effects. ive been reading on this enzme stuff that reverses the effects of ethanol. so what really works? this shit got old fast.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The Ethanol isn't causing the problems. Something in the fuel is, but it's not the ethanol. I've been running 70% ethanol (4 gal E-85 mixed with 1 gal premium) in my modified 400ex for almost 18 months without a lick of trouble. All I did to convert is rejet, I didn't change the fuel line, needle valve, float bowl gasket or accelerator pump. None if it is affected. Ethanol doesn't eat rubber or clog fuel systems.

The only people that blame this fuel for problems are the ones that don't understand it or don't use it. People that try it, love it and don't have issues with it. There's a lot of false hype and myths out there about this fuel, most of them false.

My 02.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
my only issue with ethanol blended fuel is if a little water gets into it the fuel us trash. The ethanol and fuel seperate and no longer can be used. Now with that said, areas that get flooded are screwed. I believe it's gotta be all or nothing. Not this blended garbage.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Ethanol has to be mixed with some gasoline for cold start conditions. E-100 won't ignite below roughly 40 degree F, that's why they mix 15% gasoline in with the Ethanol (up to 30% in the winter).

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I am one of those people that have trouble with ethanol blended fuels. Maybe I really don't understand, but I will go to my grave hating it in small engines. ln my case everyone of my small engines gave me fits with hard starting, not starting, missing etc. Most issues occurred after the piece of equipment sat for some time. The list includes a Mariner 40hp outboard, stihl chainsaw, Poulan grass trimmer, crafstman brush cutter, 20hp Briggs IC and a Poulan leaf blower. Since I switched to running straight premium fuel with no ethanol ( Only one station here sells fuel containing no ethanol) I have zero issues. In the spring I hop on my lawn tractor, twist the key and away I go. In my opinion the ethanol fuel has little to no shelf life. Don't tell me to use Stabil because in my opinion it's junk. Besides since I am still able to buy fuel with no ethanol I don't need a fuel stabilizer even after 5 month of sitting my stuff now starts and runs great.
Swamp

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i cant recall if i had stabilizer in my stuff but after sitting a little it started giving me trouble. just general use of ethanol fuel will harden the diaphrams and then they have to be replaced. did i mention ethanol has less energy content than gasoline? so basically you pay the same per gallon but get less power and milage cause of the ethanol.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ethanol increases power, it does however decrease fuel mileage.
who told you that? how how could it increase power yet decrease fuel efficiency? if it creates more power then it will create a better power to weight ratio which improves fuel efficiency. no where have i read that it increases either.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
It's a known fact, ethanol is an oxygenated fuel. I know the power increase from personal experience in my truck and quad, I've also talked to ATV engine tuners who have had quads gain 8-10% hp and tq from the fuel swap--no other changes made.

Check out www.e85performance.net. There are people over there that have picked up 5mph and a half second in the 1/4. Granted it was a drag car, but the results are impressive regardless.

As I stated earlier, there are a lot of myths out there, power loss is one of them--it couldn't be further from the truth. Just because a fuel has less energy doesn't mean it will make less power, just less fuel economy.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Ethanol also reduces cylinder head temps and cools the intake charge, which probably contributes to the added HP and TQ as well. It has 2.5 times the latent heat vaporization of gasoline--meaning it draws 2.5 times the BTU's during vaporization than gas does. It burns at 100 degrees cooler in the combustion chamber as well, but it requires a cooler spark plug. In some applications 2-3 heat ranges cooler, odd but true.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I dunno about Ethanol, my truck started dying after I started my truck up right after I filled with Ethanol gas. It went back to normal once I filled with regular.

Happened both times I have filled up with Ethanol.

I don't have anything against it, but I don't think it is for these older rigs.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
I have noticed a decrease in fuel mileage when using ethanol-blended gas (no more than E10) in my Tacoma, so I'll generally go to a station I know has 100% gas and pay $0.10 more per gallon. I've never tried E10 or anything else in the Bronco or the Trans Am, as I've been told that vehicles produced before 2000-ish tend to have problems with ethanol-blended fuels -- and I'm not one to try my luck.

I've also been told to never run blended fuel in a small engine (weed-eater, lawn mower, etc.). Never was told why, though. :shrug

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have noticed a decrease in fuel mileage when using ethanol-blended gas (no more than E10) in my Tacoma, so I'll generally go to a station I know has 100% gas and pay $0.10 more per gallon. I've never tried E10 or anything else in the Bronco or the Trans Am, as I've been told that vehicles produced before 2000-ish tend to have problems with ethanol-blended fuels -- and I'm not one to try my luck.

I've also been told to never run blended fuel in a small engine (weed-eater, lawn mower, etc.). Never was told why, though. :shrug
they harden the diaphrams. i have a load of small engines i run it in though. there are literally NO stations selling 100% gas around here. our chainsaw suffers from herdened diaphrams and our blower is sarting to exibit syptoms too. i bought our hedge trimmer with hardened diaphrams from being left with ethanol gas in it.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dunno about Ethanol, my truck started dying after I started my truck up right after I filled with Ethanol gas. It went back to normal once I filled with regular.

Happened both times I have filled up with Ethanol.

I don't have anything against it, but I don't think it is for these older rigs.
read your owners manual, it says a maximum of 15% blended ethanol fuel

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a known fact, ethanol is an oxygenated fuel. I know the power increase from personal experience in my truck and quad, I've also talked to ATV engine tuners who have had quads gain 8-10% hp and tq from the fuel swap--no other changes made.

Check out www.e85performance.net. There are people over there that have picked up 5mph and a half second in the 1/4. Granted it was a drag car, but the results are impressive regardless.

As I stated earlier, there are a lot of myths out there, power loss is one of them--it couldn't be further from the truth. Just because a fuel has less energy doesn't mean it will make less power, just less fuel economy.
less energy does mean less horsepower. what your saying is like saying that you can have less energy and be stronger, it just doesnt work. you will only see a performance increase with ethanol because you can run extremely rich mixtures, you have to do that anyway to avoid loosing power. the only way you will see an increase in an unmodified vehicle is if the ethanol cleans deposits out of the engine and fuel system and even then a power increase is highly unlikely. i did tons of research on alternative fuels and ethanol was one of them, less power and fuel economy was consistant with everyplace i looked.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
No, you are wrong. Ethanol makes more power than gasoline or race gas.

If less energy means less power, by your reasoning, then why do so many off road motorsports (Monster trucks, tractor pullers, etc) use methanol? Methanol has significantly less energy than E-85 and less than half of Gas.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
No, you are wrong. Ethanol makes more power than gasoline or race gas.

If less energy means less power, by your reasoning, then why do so many off road motorsports (Monster trucks, tractor pullers, etc) use methanol? Methanol has significantly less energy than E-85 and less than half of Gas.
Because it burns cooler and you can run a higher compression. Ya'll should read up on running alcohol in a drag car, you'd learn a lot more than reading this ethanol crap.

If you run alcohol in a drag car, you have to run two tanks. One tank for gas, one for alcohol. You start it on gas and you run all the alcohol out when you're done. It collects moisture and will eat up regular rubber fuel lines. If you're gonna efficiently run anything with alcohol, the whole fuel system by rights should be changed.

Most definitely should not be running E85 in anything older, like someone else said. Flex Fuel vehicles are the ones that can run it safely because the fuel pump and fuel lines are designed for it.

Reading this thread made me giggle, there was too much to point out, so I couldn't quote everybody, sorry. :haha

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
read your owners manual, it says a maximum of 15% blended ethanol fuel
Wrong.

I have 1991 dude, I have read the manual front to back. No mention of Ethanol, unless I missed it somehow.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Ya'll should read up on running alcohol in a drag car, you'd learn a lot more than reading this ethanol crap.
Alcohol? Nah, skip right to nitro-methane. :rockon

Most definitely should not be running E85 in anything older, like someone else said. Flex Fuel vehicles are the ones that can run it safely because the fuel pump and fuel lines are designed for it.
The 'engineering-perspective' says if it's safe for 10% ethanol, it's safe for any mixture, since it would make no sense having components that are all right for some specific alcohol content. In fact it'd probably cost more, and we know how much Ferd likes to spend more money on vehicle production.

I can run E85 without a problem, but I have to change the injector settings and fuel tables. It does use more E85 than E10 for a given distance, and it only makes sense to run E85 when the price differential is great. However, given that it takes more oil to produce ethanol, and all current ethanol efforts are heavily subsidized (a sincere F.U. to Monsanto and their corporate lobbyists), as is the corn it comes from, it will never pan out in the long term IMO.

Reading this thread made me giggle, there was too much to point out, so I couldn't quote everybody, sorry. :haha
I would giggle too, but that may be a little fruity for me. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts